When Should the New Manager Come In?

218 posts
Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: When Should the New Manager Come In?

by Platypuss » 07 Jan 2010 07:33

Agree with that, PremAddict. If the Club's PR policy is to keep matters regarding management not as clear as it could be, it's succeeding.

However, this article on the OS would appear to confirm the view that we aren't actively drawing up a managerial shortlist:

[url]http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1924490,00.html[/url]

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 07 Jan 2010 10:15

I didnt realise the club had ad PR policy ?? unless we are doing well that is ! you couldn't keep the egoprick off the TV, Radio or out of the papers then...................................dont hear much from him now, the asshole !!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 07 Jan 2010 10:29

did a full interview a couple of games ago on BBCRB

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 07 Jan 2010 11:30

From Get Reading

I would love assistant job full time, says Gibbs
By Jonny Fordham
January 07, 2010

Nigel Gibbs would love to become Reading’s assistant manager under Brian McDermott if given the chance.

The former Watford assistant manager who made more than 450 appearances for the Hornets at right-back has been at Madejski Stadium since 2006 as both a coach and reserve team manager under Brendan Rodgers.

And when stand-in assistant Gibbs was asked if he would want the role on a full-time basis, he said: “Without a doubt, it’s a fantastic club.”

“I understand football, but certainly if Brian got the job I would like to stay in the role I’m doing at the moment.

“It’s been good so far, I had a period at Watford as assistant manager, but I’m enjoying it.”

Gibbs continued: “Now we’re in the firing line and are accountable.

“With the reserves it’s more of a development team, but we’re well aware of the situation, results are the most important thing.

“We’ve got quite a big group and I’m doing most of the training at the moment as Brian works with the first team on the shape and other bits and pieces.

“I’m pretty relaxed about it, all we’re doing is preparing for the next game and our motto is ‘win the next game’. I’m enjoying the situation and working with the boys.”

So far under McDermott and Gibbs, Royals have played four, drawing three of those 1-1 and losing the other 4-1 to Plymouth Argyle.

They have yet to win a league game,. but even with table-topping Newcastle United visiting on Saturday, Gibbs is confident their team can get a result.

He said: “We’ve been trying to get that win, it hasn’t happened yet, but it’s been close. Hopefully it will come on Saturday though.

“It’s important that we try and go out and win every game, we’re taking each one as it comes, the response and the work-rate from the players is the minimal requirement for us and it’s important that we keep it going.

“We want to be consistent in our performances and we hope to carry that on into Saturday’s game.

“But they (Newcastle) are top of the league and have some good players. It will be tough, but if we perform as well as we did against Liverpool we have a chance.”

Gibbs, a former England under-21 international, understands that if he and McDermott can get Reading moving up the table, then their chances of being given the job on a full-time basis will only be enhanced.

He added: “We don’t feel under pressure at all.

“The only pressure we feel is from ourselves, as we want to do well for the club and the players.

“It’s important we stay relaxed and prepare the players for the next game.”

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ferguson going to Preston

by Southbank Old Boy » 07 Jan 2010 11:38

Sun Tzu Not complicated, just a bit unintelligible...
How anyone but the players and himself regard him seems a bit of a non issue.
he can be seen as the tea boy for all I care if he produces some performances / points / wins

Considering fans quite often have a massive influence over the success of a manager, see Megson or Rafa for obvious examples, I think its fair to say the club should do what it can to keep them informed and help to win them over if needs be

I dont want the level of bollocks thats come out of the club for the last few years but I would like to have a bit more of an idea of whats going on and who is going to be in charge of the team i pay a significant amount to go and see every week :roll:

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 07 Jan 2010 14:30

If it's McDermott's to lose, I'm happy with that.
It's up to him to do well for the Club and I wish him all the best.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ferguson going to Preston

by Sun Tzu » 07 Jan 2010 19:23

Southbank Old Boy
Sun Tzu Not complicated, just a bit unintelligible...
How anyone but the players and himself regard him seems a bit of a non issue.
he can be seen as the tea boy for all I care if he produces some performances / points / wins

Considering fans quite often have a massive influence over the success of a manager, see Megson or Rafa for obvious examples, I think its fair to say the club should do what it can to keep them informed and help to win them over if needs be

I dont want the level of bollocks thats come out of the club for the last few years but I would like to have a bit more of an idea of whats going on and who is going to be in charge of the team i pay a significant amount to go and see every week :roll:

As I said, personally I don't give a monkey's but can see other's might want to feel informed. I'm not sure what there is to be said at the moment. McDermott is in the job, there's no rush to look at other options but that might happen at some point. Isn't that the situation and is there anything wrong with it ?

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 07 Jan 2010 19:55

You said it was a non issue how anyone else but the players saw him

I was just pointing out that was misguided

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 07 Jan 2010 20:20

howser I didnt realise the club had ad PR policy ?? unless we are doing well that is ! you couldn't keep the egoprick off the TV, Radio or out of the papers then...................................dont hear much from him now, the asshole !!

Well you're certainly filling the void.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 07 Jan 2010 20:22

PremAddict I'm just tired of hearing/reading "Managerless Reading" from the media. Sounds like "headless" e.g. spinning out of control...

Why does what you hear from the media matter?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 07 Jan 2010 20:46

Southbank Old Boy You said it was a non issue how anyone else but the players saw him

I was just pointing out that was misguided

I said 'it seems a bit of a non issue', which to me it does.

Others may see it as an issue - that's fair enough.

Bit like some see the goalkeeping position as an issue, whereas I don't.

Opinions ? don't you just love them !

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 07 Jan 2010 21:29

You dont see that if fans arent behind a manager or a situation it can have a negative effect?

Do you suffer with getting sand in your ears by any chance?

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 07 Jan 2010 21:51

Q: When should the New Manager Come In?
A: When his mummy calls him to tell him his tea is ready. :lol:

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 08 Jan 2010 14:32

Upper West Ginger Q: When should the New Manager Come In?
A: When his mummy calls him to tell him his tea is ready. :lol:

Grow up :lol:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 08 Jan 2010 14:37

Southbank Old Boy You dont see that if fans arent behind a manager or a situation it can have a negative effect?

Definitely agree with the top line, it's then up to the team to produce good results to get a possibly unpopular appointment on side. Megson never did, resulted back to Bolton's horror style of play only difference was they weren't getting the results Allardyce did.

I don't think Rodgers was a universally popular choice and he paid the price earlier than a more popular appointment would have done. Example for arguements sake if Parky was in charge, i massively doubt the fans would have turned on him as quickly as a number did with Rodgerinho.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Jan 2010 14:50

i never saw or sensed any massive anti rodgers backlash at the games though

only on here
and at QPR

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 08 Jan 2010 15:18

RFC are showing a definate lack of intrest in appointing a new manager as other Championship sides PNE appoint Darren Ferguson and Sheffield Wedenesday Allan Irvine.

Could be a problem keeping faith in McDermott.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 08 Jan 2010 22:59

Southbank Old Boy You dont see that if fans arent behind a manager or a situation it can have a negative effect?

You seem to have introduced a totally new question and provided my answer to it for me !

I certainly don;t see it's much of an issue whether BMcD has a speciic job title.

Plainly it makes a big difference if he has the support of the fans.
If the fans require him to be formally crowned as manager before they support him then they are fools.

Sir Rodger Doyle

by Sir Rodger Doyle » 09 Jan 2010 01:07

After the January window, giving the club the time to sell whoever they want. A bit like the end of the Coppell regime, when players were released before a new manager was appointed.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Jan 2010 01:17

Sun Tzu

You seem to have introduced a totally new question and provided my answer to it for me !

I certainly don;t see it's much of an issue whether BMcD has a speciic job title.

Plainly it makes a big difference if he has the support of the fans.
If the fans require him to be formally crowned as manager before they support him then they are fools.

I think the "fools" would like to know what the f*ck is going on ie who is the manager, what the chairman's plans are for this season and the future? Because at the moment Sir John is suspiciously quiet (which for him is quite strange)

218 posts