Back from the game Cardiff

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the game Cardiff

by loyalroyal4life » 10 Apr 2010 20:58

I would be surprised at any Cardiff fan who can they say hand on heart that we didnt deserve to win that game. We controlled and looked comfortable throughout. Griffin had another quality game, looked assured and I think he will be vital for the rest of the games in Mills abscence.

Saw and spoke to Mills at service station off M4 on way back. He said he was gutted not too be out there playing!!!

Even though our slim playoff dream is over, looking forward to the next game, Bring on the Newcastle

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 10 Apr 2010 21:20

LoyalRoyalFan What was the atmosphere like from the away fans?

Our 'over the bridge' friends seem quite impressed from the travelling support

Im not sure what game you saw today they were very loud and outsung our fans without no problem, I was in E Block right next to them and too be fair constant noise including your grounds too big for you, their here their there everywhere empty seats and its like a library chants ! great support

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Apr 2010 21:21

loyalroyal4life I would be surprised at any Cardiff fan who can they say hand on heart that we didnt deserve to win that game. We controlled and looked comfortable throughout. Griffin had another quality game, looked assured and I think he will be vital for the rest of the games in Mills abscence.

Saw and spoke to Mills at service station off M4 on way back. He said he was gutted not too be out there playing!!!

Even though our slim playoff dream is over, looking forward to the next game, Bring on the Newcastle

We couldn't score, of course we didn't deserve to win. We may have been the better team, and more likely to win than Cardiff based on the performance, but it's not like this inability to take our chances is new. Bar a couple of purple patches it's been the story of the entire season.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Apr 2010 21:32

Ian Royal
loyalroyal4life I would be surprised at any Cardiff fan who can they say hand on heart that we didnt deserve to win that game. We controlled and looked comfortable throughout. Griffin had another quality game, looked assured and I think he will be vital for the rest of the games in Mills abscence.

We couldn't score, of course we didn't deserve to win. We may have been the better team, and more likely to win than Cardiff based on the performance, but it's not like this inability to take our chances is new. Bar a couple of purple patches it's been the story of the entire season.

our slim playoff dream is over? is that mathematically so?

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 10 Apr 2010 21:33

bloody Volvo driver
LoyalRoyalFan What was the atmosphere like from the away fans?

Our 'over the bridge' friends seem quite impressed from the travelling support

Im not sure what game you saw today they were very loud and outsung our fans without no problem, I was in E Block right next to them and too be fair constant noise including your grounds too big for you, their here their there everywhere empty seats and its like a library chants ! great support

Who do you support? Not really understanding your comment.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 10 Apr 2010 21:43

Ian Royal

But would you have taken the point. Cardiff had the clearer chances on the break and the only way we stayed in the game was due to Fedders. At least two cracking saves were made, possibly three. The first half was neutral, the home support bad and the difference between the new stadium and Ninian is light years. I was right about the stadium being soulless and that came from a Cardiff supporter. The hint of trouble has been snuffed out. The stewards wouldn't let anyone sit in the back row at first and this created lunacy with some of us scrabbling for seating. Cheers to the selfish idiots who decided to leave one seat gaps dotted around. The second half was better from both sides and at times finger biting stuff. We actually looked like we had a game on. Cracking weather added to the all around away day experience. Kebe had telling moments but was pretty much controlled all game. Occasionally in the second half he used his pace to get around the LB but was having trouble due to being marked by two plyers all game. Ditto McAnuff. First touches often let us down and Cardiff played a very effective game in their defensive area, closing ranks and snuffing us out with sheer numbers.

The half time ciggie out on the grass was much appreciated and all in all the stewarding was fairly innocuous, allowing those who wished to, to actually stand all game. The only gripe was not allowing us to use the back row.

It was so good to see Mills sat in with the supporters and respond to the chanting.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 10 Apr 2010 21:53

royalexile It was so good to see Mills sat in with the supporters and respond to the chanting.

Millsy givus a song, Millsy Millsy givus a song. boooo.
Last edited by BenReadingFC on 10 Apr 2010 21:54, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Apr 2010 21:54

AthleticoSpizz
Ian Royal

our slim playoff dream is over? is that mathematically so?

Don't ask me... I don't agree with it, we won't make it, but the chance is still there.

Rex, I'm happy with the point. Good result against Cardiff, leaves us with a little too much to do now though really IMO.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 10 Apr 2010 22:00

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Apr 2010 22:05

as always Ben....thank you....and it'll be better than anything shown on the BBC show later tonight

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 10 Apr 2010 22:53

What a great advert for modern football. Insipid game in a soulless stadium.

Cardiff v Reading 2008 was across the road at Ninian Park, but it might as well have been on another planet.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 10 Apr 2010 23:43

Ninian Park used to be an intimidating place to go. The new ground is anything but.
It's now like it was when we 1st moved to the Mad Stad. Chanting fans spread around the ground and not congregating in a group.
It'll take a season or 2 to sort that out but it will never be the same.
No welsh flag on the roof, No standing, It now feels like any other ground. Not as concrete as Swansea though.
The ground has no identity

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Apr 2010 23:59

Plus it obviously wasn't finished - and the concourse areas were amongst the least welcoming I've seen. No expense allowed on them....

yappy

by yappy » 11 Apr 2010 00:23

How did Pearce get on?

Strange feeling knowing were now safe, I'd resigned myself to league 1 in January, but that now seems like a distant nightmare.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 11 Apr 2010 00:25

What is gonna fill the gap behind 3/4 of the ground in the massive empty space behind the stands. It aint gonna be seats due to the pillars.

toppy
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by toppy » 11 Apr 2010 07:34

BenReadingFC Todays footage

Top stuff there, fanx

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 11 Apr 2010 07:57

Cardiff looked OK but on that form not good enough for promotion.

The 1st half was turgid with hardly any goalmouth action but in the 2nd half we were all over them but just couldn't get the breakthrough.

If it was boxing we would have won it on points.

Couple of smart saves from Federici though....

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 11 Apr 2010 09:33

Dirk Gently Plus it obviously wasn't finished - and the concourse areas were amongst the least welcoming I've seen. No expense allowed on them....

I actually thought the concourse area was the best part. Nice and roomy, and I enjoyed my pint on the grass outside at half time.

Ben, I suspect the gap round the back may be intended for hospitality boxes, rather than additional seats. There seemed to be virtually none in place in the main stand.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 11 Apr 2010 09:41

Good to see Millsy with the fans. Spoke to him briefly at Burger King on the way back and he said it was a "fair result".

Humanistic

by Humanistic » 11 Apr 2010 09:48

It's actually quite refreshing to go to new stadiums like that to realise how good the Madejski is in comparison. Ours certainly looks better, stands are closer to the pitch (and steeper, I reckon the back row was at the same height as my my ST in row Y at the Mad Stad, which is two thirds of the way up). And the acoustics have got to superior- it's hard to imagine even when Cardiff fill it being particularly intimating, yet on the big occasions at the Mad the atmosphere can be top notch (remember the praise from opposing managers and pundits in the PL?)

As for the football, just hope we can keep this team together for next season- we're looking like a properly decent team at the moment.