Back from the game....... I really hate geordies

144 posts
Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the game....... I really hate geordies

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 14 Apr 2010 07:53

FiNeRaIn Their team would have been torn to pieces by our 106 team. They won the league with brute force, not skill. But they won't care as they are back up again.

Newcastle on track for 104 points if they win the last 3 games, thats a pretty close call.

The Positive One!

by The Positive One! » 14 Apr 2010 08:12

An excellent game and Reading were undoubtedly the best team - admittedly Newcastle did defend very well. I am just surprised that Hughton allows his team to come on to the pitch with such arrogance and insolence and a look of not really wanting to be there - if I was the manager I would be disgusted! And as for Nolan - say no more - a disgrace to football!

Also annoyed that the referee (yet another poor one) allowed Nolan and Ameobi to 'referee' the game. Typical 'big' club syndrome!

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 14 Apr 2010 08:41

Considering their position in the league, and at times the deft touches were pretty to see it was a crying shame to see such petulance, gamesmanship and whinging.
Kebe was again doubled up on and constantly nibbled at, held back or barged off the ball. Kebe needs to strengthen up this inability to stay on his feet when getting roughed up, but at least he doesn't react.
The match was going our way initially , playing with confidence, the combined skills of Harper and the back four looking very ropey under pressure (despite the lack of end result), but as mentioned, their usually solid defense, despite having to mop up pretty much absorbed the pressure. If only Shanes cheeky shot at the acute angle had just rolled in for us it might have given the team the chance to push on.
Nolans first goal, could, should have been stopped by Fedders, with him getting a touch to it and it squirming underneath him. I missed the second goal completely, having been distracted by something behind me.

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 14 Apr 2010 08:43

The Positive One! An excellent game and Reading were undoubtedly the best team - admittedly Newcastle did defend very well. I am just surprised that Hughton allows his team to come on to the pitch with such arrogance and insolence and a look of not really wanting to be there - if I was the manager I would be disgusted! And as for Nolan - say no more - a disgrace to football!

Also annoyed that the referee (yet another poor one) allowed Nolan and Ameobi to 'referee' the game. Typical 'big' club syndrome!

+1

I also thought that we should have gone to 4-4-2 after the first goal. We had a lot of the ball but no one was in the final third backing up Long. Was dissapointed with Jobi who on several occasions didn't get in the box quick enough and then complained letting his marker run out of defence un marked.

Howard was his usual bullish self but showed no skill and gave the ball away too much.

MOM Gunnarsson, was concerned about having him at centre back but proved me wrong.

All rest 6.5

Finch

by Finch » 14 Apr 2010 08:47

John Madejski's Wallet From BBC:
Chris Hughton's men rarely needed to get out of third gear

and
The home side looked set for a hiding but a Simpson own goal gave Brian McDermott's side a much-needed boost.

//What sodding game were they watching?? :shock:

I know we rarely troubled their keeper, but we did all the pushing in that game and I have to take my hat off to the strong, last-ditch defending of the newcastle players.

Fairly enjoyable game I thought, with a frustrating lack of end product. The difference between walking the league and sitting where we are was shown by their clinical attacking on the break

.....anyone else notice Nolan kick Feds in the head while he was on the floor??

You really hate Georfdies or hate the fact some journo wrote positively about them? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pLOLay offs.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 14 Apr 2010 09:00

I normally read this forum and think people haven't given the opposition enough credit but I thought we well and truly d*cked on Newcastle last night. It was one-way traffic until they got their goal with one of their first attacks. After that they came into it a bit but we continued to outplay them for 75 minutes of the 90 in my opinion.

Our shooting was a bit off and we lacked the run of the ball in the box. That is all.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 Apr 2010 09:02

Finch

You really hate Georfdies or hate the fact some journo wrote positively about them? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pLOLay offs.

I think it's really down to those who went to the game to comment .....

The Newcastle team last night were disgraceful, not a lot positive to be said about them to be honest.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 14 Apr 2010 09:03

Good input as ever Finch

Newcastle were extremely solid at the back and pretty tidy in midfield, but their general play wasn't very pleasant at all and I can't believe their fans can look back on this sode woth the kind of joy we look back on the 106 team, if last night is indicative of their season. Also as mentioned ameobi and to a lesser extent Nolan, had pretty shocking attitudes, I made more movement than Ameobi.
As for us, we really ought to have played 4-4-2 a lot earlier, Shane was ploughing quite the lone furrow up front with no success. generally an OK performance, especially given that the ref was in awe of the big boys from next years premiership (and the year after that's championship if Ashley isn't buying)
A final word for their wonderful fans, thanks for allowing us some quiet time to contemplate life after we got our goal, it was most appreciated.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 14 Apr 2010 09:10

We dominated in the middle half of the pitch however where it mattered we were lacking. In the final third their defence were all over us and we didn't have a sniff, at the other end every time they attacked they looked dangerous! If you don't shoot you don't score.....

As a side note, I did my bit for charity and dropped 3 Newcastle fans (from Crawley) off at the station because they were walking towards Northumberland avenue in a bid to find the buses..... haha

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 14 Apr 2010 09:20

Reading were beat by a more physical and clinical side. End of.

Half of you are sounding like a whinging kid after he's been picked on by the school bully. If we had a few players putting it about we wouldn't be complaining. We certainly weren't when the likes of Sidwell and Hunt were putting the boot in when it mattered.

Isaac Hunt

by Isaac Hunt » 14 Apr 2010 09:27

John Madejski's Wallet .....anyone else notice Nolan kick Feds in the head while he was on the floor??

Wasn't Nolan, it was (unsurprisingly) Barton. Fair play to Feds for not makng more of it - but to be fair they both appeared to laugh it off after they'd had words.

Didn't look like an accident from where i was sitting though.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 14 Apr 2010 09:29

A highly entertaining game which had lots of interesting moments.

Again I felt we bossed the game which is all good and well but we lacked that creativity factor needed to put game to bed. I think we need a fresh option upfront, I would also drop Mcanuff as he looked poor again and maybe now is time to change things about a bit.

Tabb was quality again, total commitment which is all you can ask for.

Newcastle scored twice out of 2 first half chances and you can't fault that, its the difference between a team going up and a team having to go through it all again next season.
Last edited by loyalroyal4life on 14 Apr 2010 09:36, edited 1 time in total.

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 14 Apr 2010 09:31

Look at the Stats
RFC 0-Toon 2
Possesion 49-51
Shoots on Target 3-2
Off Target 6-6
Corners 10-3
Fouls 6-13

They scored with their only two shots on target.

Over double the fouls

We had treble the corners.

Houghton saying "we did what we needed to do"

The manager said it all I was going to be a Physical game.

That Newcastle team would not get more than 30 pts in the Prem.

Isaac Hunt

by Isaac Hunt » 14 Apr 2010 09:32

loyalroyal4life I think they will beat our record now which is a shame

How?

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 14 Apr 2010 09:41

Hughton deserves the freedom of Newcastle for turning a team of premiership prima donnas into a side of scrappers that has fought its way out of this division quite easily. Never seen a defence throw bodies into the way of absolutely everything like they did last night.

They are not as bad a side as some people make out.

We showed some spirit in the 2nd half but were never really in it in truth.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 14 Apr 2010 09:50

"Newcastle Substitution. Coming on Andy Carroll and Joey Barton.."

What, have they got a joint tag or something?

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Apr 2010 09:52

I agree with Hugo. We can have no complaints about losing last night. We scored a very fortunate goal and apart from Long's chance in the first half created little all night. Newcastle scored two, hit the post and could easily have scored a couple of others(particularly after one fine move in the first half just after their first goal).
Yes they were petulant at times and they were certainly physical but it didn't help with us just playing Long up-front on his own for 60 minutes. How many saves did Harper have to make? I thought Newcastle were organised and defended well and barely gave us a sniff.
One last point. Our support was terrific last night. At 2-0 down it could have become really quiet but the fans kept backing the team.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 14 Apr 2010 09:54

It is quite funny looking through all the bitterness on here, would it be fairer to say maybe Newcastle weren't at thier best last night? ?They still won. How many times did fans of other teams say that about Reading in 2006? How we'd be 'straight back down'.

There is absolutely ZERO chance they will get relegated next season. Not in that dross league. They will have a bit of dosh to add 1 or 2 players to what is a Premiership squad already.

Hughton has done a great job, now their moronic fans have stopped chanting for someone who was born in Newcastle, and have just got on with the job, they've got someone that's had a lot of experience coaching at big clubs who has moulded a team when their 'saviour' couldn't.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 14 Apr 2010 10:01

I thought Newcastle showed why they are champions to be honest. Went away to one of the strongest teams in the league this year, soaked up the pressure, took their chances (let's not forget they were an inch away from a third as well) and went home with all three points. Classic away performance and I was very impressed with the organisation and defensive commitment they displayed. How different to Newcastle teams of old.

Nolan - cockpiece without any shadow of a doubt and yes, the ref was intimidated but that hardly cost us the game.

Reading did okay but also showed why we're not quite there yet. I too think we should have gone with two strikers earlier in the match given the scoreline and how out of the game Shane Long was on his own. Otherwise no real complaints and at least now we can all put our feet up for the next four matches, enjoy some football and not worry about the damn play-offs any more.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Apr 2010 10:02

Alan Partridge It is quite funny looking through all the bitterness on here, would it be fairer to say maybe Newcastle weren't at thier best last night? ?They still won. How many times did fans of other teams say that about Reading in 2006? How we'd be 'straight back down'.

There is absolutely ZERO chance they will get relegated next season. Not in that dross league. They will have a bit of dosh to add 1 or 2 players to what is a Premiership squad already.

Hughton has done a great job, now their moronic fans have stopped chanting for someone who was born in Newcastle, and have just got on with the job, they've got someone that's had a lot of experience coaching at big clubs who has moulded a team when their 'saviour' couldn't.

I don't know if Newcastle were anywhere near their best or not but they did enough and thats all that matters isn't it. The first half was a bit of a smash and grab but after that they looked pretty comfortable.
I agree they won't struggle next season.

144 posts