Supporter Ownership and Engagement Expert Group

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Supporter Ownership and Engagement Expert Group

by WoodleyRoyal » 21 Oct 2014 13:24

Bit of a mouth full but at least something is happening; I assume STAR is aware and I was wondering what their opinion of it is?

Labour's Shadow Sports Minister Clive Efford said: "It is three years since the government promised to set up its working group on supporter ownership of football clubs. Nobody will be fooled by this latest announcement of another talking shop, least of all the fans. Does STAR agree?

Also who is the “supporter’s direct group”? Is there anyone from STAR on there? Is it an elected group? I’m familiar with the FSF how does this group differ?

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Supporter Ownership and Engagement Expert Group

by STAR Liaison » 21 Oct 2014 15:33

It was only announced this morning - first I knew of it despite being in a meeting with someone who should have known more. :shock:

At first glance it looks like a rushed Govt response to Labour grabbing a few headlines last week. Much overdue given their promise re supporter engagement a few years ago, as the Labour guy says.

Odd thing about the composition of the group is it seems to contain only supporters who have 'overcome barriers to ownership' - I would have thought there is something to learn from those who failed to breach barriers too. There may be some merit in Labour calling it another talking shop - to quote from memory 'to look at some of the ways of overcoming barriers' (my italics). However, better than nowt.

Supporters Direct was established in 2000 and is the umbrella / national organisation for supporters trust like STAR. STAR pays an affiliation fee so in that sense we are members. Our board members attend their events from time to time. There is an elected national council for SD - no-one from STAR is on it. I believe anyone who is a member of a supporters trust can stand.

The FSF is the successor to the NFFSC and the FSA, HTH. FSF and SD lead on different fan issues - FSF is more about policing, SD more about club governance, for example.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 21 Oct 2014 15:41

so will star being looking to increase its shareholdings in the club

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 21 Oct 2014 16:04

WoodleyRoyal so will star being looking to increase its shareholdings in the club

We've always been looking to increase our shareholding in the club.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1