Harper v Dellor

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Im Spartacus

Harper v Dellor

by Im Spartacus » 25 Feb 2009 11:22

Can anyone enlighten us on the "slaughtering" Tim Dellor dished out on the poor, victimised James Harper last week, that resulted in our captain refusing to be interviewed by said media bully boy ?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Harper v Dellor

by Royal Rother » 25 Feb 2009 11:43

It's a little known secret that Dellor's alter ego is IMAMATEOFJOVSKY.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Feb 2009 12:06

Im Spartacus Can anyone enlighten us on the "slaughtering" Tim Dellor dished out on the poor, victimised James Harper last week, that resulted in our captain refusing to be interviewed by said media bully boy ?

Can't remember exactly what Dellor said in response to Harper's comment, but he denied slagging him off for a start. Anyway, poor little Harps has to realise you have to take the rough with the smooth. Murts has never ever waivered from giving an interview/going on his radio spot - regardless of whether we won, drew or were beaten out of sight. I'd have thought after so many years together, Harps would have learned something from Murts by now.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Feb 2009 14:15

IIRC Dellor claimed that all he had written was along the lines of Harper being a likeable chap with a wicked sense of humour!

That was why Dellor was so surprised by the accusation that he had slaughtered Harper in the media.

Im Spartacus

by Im Spartacus » 25 Feb 2009 15:09

Hmm very strange, I haven't heard Dellor overly criticise any of our players before, in fact I've always thought he was a bit sugar coated if anything.

I'm very disapointed with Harps, even if it were true, I would've expected him to do the interview, and tackle Dellor about it later.

It doesn't leave a great impression, maybe he's a bit insecure at the moment.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 25 Feb 2009 15:30

It's not the first time Harps has blanked the media. He refused to speak to the local press for ages.

Any idea what Dellor's qualifications are for the job ? Is he a professional journo or does he have a sports background of some kind ?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Feb 2009 15:46

Both I believe, but I don't know what that has to do with anything.

Aly Murty
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Aly Murty » 25 Feb 2009 15:51

He definitely has a cricketing background, but I agree with RL, no idea what that has to do with it.

As someone else said Harper has not spoken to the media for a long time (mentioned on his recent Reading World interview). It all seems a bit pathetic to me, he has a responsibility as captain and shouldn't just refuse to speak to people.

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 25 Feb 2009 16:34

Dellor is roobish to be fair.

Harper has to take the rough with the smooth. All he needs to do is play well and that answers his critics. No need for an interview.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Feb 2009 16:36

wiki Dellor also works for the England Cricket Board, as their "Head Coach -Lead Tutor". He runs the ECB Level 3 coaching programme, developing the skills of elite coaches.

He is Berkshire Minor County Cricket first team coach, and was the Greek National Cricket Coach for 9 years!.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 28 Feb 2009 10:55

Royal Lady
Im Spartacus Can anyone enlighten us on the "slaughtering" Tim Dellor dished out on the poor, victimised James Harper last week, that resulted in our captain refusing to be interviewed by said media bully boy ?

Can't remember exactly what Dellor said in response to Harper's comment, but he denied slagging him off for a start. Anyway, poor little Harps has to realise you have to take the rough with the smooth. Murts has never ever waivered from giving an interview/going on his radio spot - regardless of whether we won, drew or were beaten out of sight. I'd have thought after so many years together, Harps would have learned something from Murts by now.

As I think I couple of others have said Harper rarely talks to the media full stop, so it's nothing new that he has refused interviews

He occassionally gives Ive something to write about, and speaks to the radio once in a blue moon, but I dont see why he should front up now when he hasnt before

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Feb 2009 12:19

Because he's the captain and is it really up to him whether he speaks to the press or not? I thought that was part of a captain's job.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 28 Feb 2009 19:26

Royal Lady Because he's the captain and is it really up to him whether he speaks to the press or not? I thought that was part of a captain's job.

Murty is the captain though

Harper is just filling in for him on the pitch

As far as I am bothered I would rather our players concentrate on getting things right on the pitch than pallying up with the media and feeling duty bound to give a bland interview where they avoid the real issues, dodge the serious questions and reel off a load of cliches. The captain, and the senior pro's should be in the dressing room sorting out a few home truths with the rest of the squad

I havent heard a post match interview that was really insightful or honest since Lita slagged off Coppell in the last January transer window

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 28 Feb 2009 22:35

Im Spartacus I'm very disapointed with Harps, even if it were true, I would've expected him to do the interview, and tackle Dellor about it later.

Well, point at him from ten yards away, perhaps...

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 01 Mar 2009 14:47

Harpergate

Im Spartacus

by Im Spartacus » 01 Mar 2009 15:42

Platypuss
Im Spartacus I'm very disapointed with Harps, even if it were true, I would've expected him to do the interview, and tackle Dellor about it later.

Well, point at him from ten yards away, perhaps...

:lol:

I just find it all a bit childish really, he comes over as a bit fragile. I shudder to think what the poor fella would think/do if he heard some of the comments aimed at him by those sat near me.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Mar 2009 15:53

Oh, he knows all right.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 02 Mar 2009 12:39

During the match against Bristol City he was pretty harsh (but probably fair) on James Harper "recent" performances. He was basically saying that he doesn't know what he does when on the pitch and that if you looked at the stats he will probably have run as far (or even further) than any other player on the pitch.

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1