5989 posts
tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next seasons kit choice?

by tmesis » 12 May 2022 23:27

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG
Hendo
Or have them in red at least. The gold was a really nice touch and looked lovely in pictures and close up but from any distance away it was totally unreadable.

Found the red used by the youth sides just as difficult to read tbh.

tmesis Some would even go as far as suggesting the radical idea of having a white square where the numbers go, that meakes them readable, without the whole back of the shirt needing to be a single colour.

Good point, that's better than looking like Leeds (although a blue panel is fine).

I'd rather they enforced a strict easily differentiable haircut policy than did anything with the numbers.... they're unreadable most the time no matter what.

It wasn't an unsolveable problem 50 years ago, so I just don't see how it's become one now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 May 2022 08:25

SCIAG
Snowflake Royal
SCIAG Found the red used by the youth sides just as difficult to read tbh.

Good point, that's better than looking like Leeds (although a blue panel is fine).

I'd rather they enforced a strict easily differentiable haircut policy than did anything with the numbers.... they're unreadable most the time no matter what.

OK, agreed. I'd go further and say hair colours.

Exceptions if you are clearly distinct in some other way. Jake Cooper, Seol Ki Hyeon, Liam Kelly, every goalkeeper ever. Kitson and Sidwell are fine because of the height difference.

If there is someone else on the team who has the same skin tone, hair length (long/short/bald), hair colour, and height to within 5cm, then you have to dye yours to an unambiguous colour. Exception if you are a defender and they are a striker, but midfielders can't clash with anyone.

I like the cut of your jib.

Very peeved with McIntyre over his change of hair cut.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 May 2022 14:57

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG
Snowflake Royal I'd rather they enforced a strict easily differentiable haircut policy than did anything with the numbers.... they're unreadable most the time no matter what.

OK, agreed. I'd go further and say hair colours.

Exceptions if you are clearly distinct in some other way. Jake Cooper, Seol Ki Hyeon, Liam Kelly, every goalkeeper ever. Kitson and Sidwell are fine because of the height difference.

If there is someone else on the team who has the same skin tone, hair length (long/short/bald), hair colour, and height to within 5cm, then you have to dye yours to an unambiguous colour. Exception if you are a defender and they are a striker, but midfielders can't clash with anyone.

I find McIntyre pretty distinct, taller than Rino, not as burly as Laurent, and obviously not Tom Ince. Darker than Morrison, lighter than Moore, thicker hair than either. Not as big as Holmes, who is also very pasty.

Worst thing ever was when either we’d just signed Chris Armstrong or he’d just shaved his head and looked too much like Ivar. Barrow and Aluko was quite confusing, until you realised that Barrow was the one who was good at football.

I have a memory of persistently confusing Gunter with someone but can’t think who it would have been. Norwood? Swift? Evans maybe?

The real storm on the horizon is Clarke and Ehibhationham. Same height, skin tone, very similar positions. They do have different hair styles but good luck telling them apart from the stands. If they both start playing for the first team then I hope one decides to try a really audacious hairstyle or they have very different shirt numbers, otherwise I’m going to be squinting at the length of their names.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 16 May 2022 22:14

SCIAG
Snowflake Royal
SCIAG OK, agreed. I'd go further and say hair colours.

I find McIntyre pretty distinct, taller than Rino, not as burly as Laurent, and obviously not Tom Ince. Darker than Morrison, lighter than Moore, thicker hair than either. Not as big as Holmes, who is also very pasty.

Worst thing ever was when either we’d just signed Chris Armstrong or he’d just shaved his head and looked too much like Ivar. Barrow and Aluko was quite confusing, until you realised that Barrow was the one who was good at football.

I have a memory of persistently confusing Gunter with someone but can’t think who it would have been. Norwood? Swift? Evans maybe?

The real storm on the horizon is Clarke and Ehibhationham. Same height, skin tone, very similar positions. They do have different hair styles but good luck telling them apart from the stands. If they both start playing for the first team then I hope one decides to try a really audacious hairstyle or they have very different shirt numbers, otherwise I’m going to be squinting at the length of their names.

At the very least, surely different colour boots? I mean, if they're not going to be black, all those colours should have some benefit. In fact, the team sheet should put a photo of the relevant boots alongside the player....

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 May 2022 10:29

tmesis
Snowflake Royal

It wasn't an unsolveable problem 50 years ago, so I just don't see how it's become one now.

Great post and picture.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 May 2022 12:38

We're a touch further from the pitch in most cases. Some of those numbers are quite small.

Distinct from the shirt though.

Haircuts are easier. It's innumerate friendly.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 17 May 2022 18:12

Difficult to work out, but if thats the town end at Arsenal game in 1972, I maybe in that piccie at the front. (1-2 game)

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 18 May 2022 08:03

Police Officers enjoying the game.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 18 May 2022 08:47

tmesis
Snowflake Royal

Great font that

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 May 2022 09:13

Royality creeps In Difficult to work out, but if thats the town end at Arsenal game in 1972, I maybe in that piccie at the front. (1-2 game)

Has to be. If it was the Tilehurst then there would be a wall on the far right but there’s a fence and more spectators standing.
I was sat on the wall at the very back of the Town End....

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 May 2022 11:23

tmesis
Snowflake Royal

Good photo

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 02 Jun 2022 23:16

Decent effort from Macron with Stoke’s new away shirt.

Tbf anything will be better than the attempted retro look of last season.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Jun 2022 08:32

royalp-we Decent effort from Macron with Stoke’s new away shirt.

:| Need to get your eyes tested mate.

On Strings

by On Strings » 03 Jun 2022 11:06

royalp-we Tbf anything will be better than the attempted retro look of last season.

Each to their own, but I thought last season's home kit was on point and looked great.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 Jun 2022 12:54

What is the point of that away shirt? They couldn’t even wear it if they were playing themselves at home!!

On Strings

by On Strings » 03 Jun 2022 20:53

paultheroyal

What is the point of that away shirt? They couldn’t even wear it if they were playing themselves at home!!

Unless their home shirt is more red than usual. Thicker stripers maybe.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 04 Jun 2022 00:20

paultheroyal

Got it wrong - this is the away kit. The white is a third shirt. All on sale tomorrow, how very organised.

On Strings

by On Strings » 04 Jun 2022 12:03

Earlier start to the season, earlier kit releases... unless your Reading Football Club of course.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 05 Jun 2022 20:04

Stoke releasing their Macron kits, and Reading...

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 06 Jun 2022 06:54

PATRIQT Stoke releasing their Macron kits, and Reading...

Always delay the kit release. No need to get wound up about it every year.

5989 posts