Next seasons kit choice?

5989 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next seasons kit choice?

by Nameless » 29 Sep 2022 11:53

Going down the Denmark World Cup route their aren’t they ?
I know our other 2 shirts have a message, do we read anything into this one ?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Sep 2022 12:14

windermereROYAL I would actually buy that one, I like it.

Looks very sleek, quality shirt is that. Quite liked all 3 this year, this one is the best for me.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Sep 2022 12:50

Very nice shirt but totally unnecessary

Would rather they kept it for next years away tbh

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Sep 2022 12:57

There is only one gif for that kit

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 29 Sep 2022 15:09

Nameless Going down the Denmark World Cup route their aren’t they ?

"No one can afford electricity in the future" or "we're doomed to a bleak dark future of nothingness"

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Sep 2022 09:36

It actually glows in the dark, so when we are playing without floodlights at 3pm in December, the players can still spot each other.

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 30 Sep 2022 13:25

It is a lovely looking shirt, but given that we're not likely to play any teams which play in both blue and pink it feels a bit pointless.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Sep 2022 13:55

ReadingGlasses It is a lovely looking shirt, but given that we're not likely to play any teams which play in both blue and pink it feels a bit pointless.

Sunderland and Stoke might be tricky, though?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Sep 2022 17:00

ReadingGlasses It is a lovely looking shirt, but given that we're not likely to play any teams which play in both blue and pink it feels a bit pointless.

Not 100% sure, but I reckon there will be some sort of agreement with the manufacturer where we will wear it in x amount of games this season. So Sunderland and Stoke are the obvious ones, but I don't doubt we will play in that kit in other games as well.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Sep 2022 17:17

YorkshireRoyal99

Not 100% sure, but I reckon there will be some sort of agreement with the manufacturer where we will wear it in x amount of games this season. So Sunderland and Stoke are the obvious ones, but I don't doubt we will play in that kit in other games as well.

What would be the reasoning for making a commitment to the manufacturer ? Won’t we have asked them to make 1000 shirts which we pay for then we sell them at retail price. They get their money whether anyone buys them or not.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Oct 2022 13:22

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99

What would be the reasoning for making a commitment to the manufacturer ? Won’t we have asked them to make 1000 shirts which we pay for then we sell them at retail price. They get their money whether anyone buys them or not.

Brand awareness, happens commonly in other industries.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 03 Oct 2022 10:17

I think we will wear it against teams that play in red and probably at Swansea and maybe even Norwich. Any game where we could probably wear the home shirt, and the away might not be enough of a contrast.

They will have to get it into the rotation enough for it to be a justifiable purchase for supporters.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 Oct 2022 12:47

Could have said it was something to do with mourning the Queen, although us then not wearing it might make that a worthless sentiment, plus a bit tacky to have everything blacked out except the sponsors logo.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 Oct 2022 12:51

JedMaxwell They will have to get it into the rotation enough for it to be a justifiable purchase for supporters.
They should go back to the old rotation system, The current year away shirt becomes next seasons 3rd choice shirt..... Gives extra longevity to the shirts. In fact, as our sponsors and kit manufacturer have remained unchanged they should have kept the yellow away kit from last season as our 3rd choice shirt.
Just a money grab, but.... if fans want to buy it, why not supply it? Why stop with 3 kits, Release it in other colours even if the first team never wear the, give fans a choice - Want a pink Reading shirt? We'll make some, Want a red and yellow hooped Reading shirt... sure thing. As long as they get enough orders to justify it, Why not?

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 03 Oct 2022 16:29

Forbury Lion Want a red and yellow hooped Reading shirt...

Yes! The red and yellow hooped shirt in the 90s was great.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 04 Oct 2022 09:20

ReadingGlasses
Forbury Lion Want a red and yellow hooped Reading shirt...

Yes! The red and yellow hooped shirt in the 90s was great.

That and the blue and yellow hooped one were so great. I also love the 'Spain' one from 2001/2 time.

I think there's a market for retro shirts, like we saw with the Robin Friday one a few years back. Just a case of seeing whether it's worth it I suppose, from the club's point of view.

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 07 Oct 2022 16:03

It would never happen, but I'd happily pay a fiver more for a "simplified" version of the shirt with no sponsor (or other logos) on it, just the team badge.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 07 Oct 2022 16:36

I have always been sceptical about black, grey and dark coloured kits with players not being easily picked out and merging in to the crowd especially during a dank floodlit evening game. I always remember the 6-3 Man U defeat at Southampton when Fergie changed the kit at half time citing my very reason for their first half display.

In any event what is wrong with just wearing our home kit when away to Sunderland or Stoke etc?

3rd kits are superfluous.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 07 Oct 2022 20:34

When is the pink kit available to order?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 08 Oct 2022 12:46

We are aware that stock levels of our home, away and third kits are currently running low, both in store and online, in a number of different adult and child's sizes.

The order for shirts, placed back in October 2021, was for a quantity which would have satisfied the sales figures achieved in the last three non-COVID-affected seasons (2017-18, 2018-19 and 2019-20) before our special 150th anniversary campaign last year.

However, early demand this season has outstripped supply and whilst we are very pleased that the innovative, conversation-sparking climate stripe design has proven so popular with supporters, we fully appreciate that with some sizes selling out so swiftly has led to disappointment and frustration for some of our fans.

Having anticipated this stock issue in recent weeks, the club and Fanatics - a global leader in licensed sports merchandise who became our retail partner in July 2022 - immediately placed an order to restock the home shirt in a number of sizes which are currently sold out. The lead times of bespoke shirts such as ours is beyond our control but we will keep supporters updated on the progress of the order.

In the interim, however, we would like to sincerely apologise to any supporter who is currently unable to purchase a shirt in the size they are looking for.

Alongside Fanatics, we have placed a significantly more substantial order for home and away strips in 2023-24 - so we do not expect this issue to repeat itself in the future.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2022/october/07/shirt-stock/

5989 posts