Royalty points-what is the point?

notloyalenuffroyal

Re: Royalty points-what is the point?

by notloyalenuffroyal » 09 May 2011 20:25

I have a theory.

I think they put the South Stand on sale first to all-comers knowing that it would be "people-in-the-know" who would be desperate for a ticket and not take the risk of missing out. People who - like myself - live further away and can't get to many games a season, (It's life - I can't afford the 150 mile round trip that often!) but still like to come as often as possible, follow every game anyway I can and are quite happy being called Plastic. I haven't been to a game for a while, but knew exactly when they were going on sale. (PLASTIC!)

Having put it on sale first they are getting desperados (as good a name as any) like me into this stand in the hope of generating an atmosphere that quite often the South graveyard had in Premiership games. I could've held on an tried to get a ticket near friends/family ST holders in the East or risked a drum pounding in the North, but this way they had me in a place where I shall stand shout and sing where normally there would be none.

It therefore won't be completely filled with so many people jumping on that bandwagon last minute.

In conclusion: Not a royalty points rip-off - just a very clever piece of marketing!
Goodnight!

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 09 May 2011 20:59

Well said. You could name the usual moaners as soon as the tickets went on sale.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 09 May 2011 21:40

mbb Once again trying to buy a ticket for a big game and in danger of not getting a seat even though I have loads of Royalty points. If the club can step the buying of a ticket in hours then surely they can make sure that loyal fans get priority over the plastic (big game only) "fans".

Once again this club frustrates me. Loyalty NEEDS to be a 2 way thing!!

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 09 May 2011 22:40

Yellowcoat Well said. You could name the usual moaners as soon as the tickets went on sale.

To be fair, "the usual moaners" as you so eloquently put it are once again pointing out the slight unfairness of the process.

That they are doing so whilst admitting, that, in at least one case, they have benefitted from the situation makes your post look pretty stupid to my mind.

Schards
Im afraid you are banging your head against the wall complaining about anything to do with the club on here. No matter in how much detail you describe the reason for your disatisfaction, you will always get someone replying "I don't understand what your problem is" I presume they just switch off and don't read when they see it's something critical.

Perfect summing up. Maybe Turns8 and a couple of others could actually read a post on here before bouncing in with "you're all moaning about nothing comments, or in Turns case in the Man City thread, bragging about how he'd got a ticket and didn't care.

I don't think anyone has said this is anyway near the debacle that City was. However, there are at least a couple of posters on here that don't think you should query anything the club does. I seem to remember the Club actually admitted that they got the City tickets wrong. Didn't see any follow ups from those posters that were adamant that everything was done correctly.

I'm a season ticket holder btw. I've got a ticket. I've no axe to grind. I can, though, see the point that going to General sale immediately after ST sales would piss some people off. I'm also aware that we probably won't sell out but sometimes you need to look at the principle of the situation. I'd agree it's a bit of "meh" situation. Does that stop people offering their opinions then?

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 10 May 2011 07:16

^ Well said that man!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 May 2011 22:46

TBH if you don't get a ticket for the home game you've only got yourself to blame. They're still on sale now ffs.

If you're moaning about getting a ticket for the away game, then I don't see what the problem is, our core STH fanbase is far larger than the number of away tickets available, so it was always going to be a nightmare to get one, needing an early attempt.

Yes it's a bit of a surprise to sell the south on general straight away and have little in the way of points staggering. But then you can hardly bash the club about it when it hasn't actually caused a problem in getting a ticket.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 12 May 2011 23:08

I've already got myself an away leg ticket without having enough points yet, yeah that's right, I said it 8)

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 12 May 2011 23:10

Try reading the thread first Ian. You perfectly illustrate the point of someone jumping in with no idea of what is being discussed but determined to get their point across.

No one is complaining about the availability of the tickets. It's being pointed out that it's "mildly" unfair that it went to General sale immediately after Season Ticket sales. That's it. It's being pointed out that people with 0 points can buy at the same time as people with possibly 1800 plus points thereby depriving them of their usual seats. That's it.

It seems to have generally been decided that, yeah, it's a bit unfair but to be honest no one gives a shit.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 May 2011 23:43

nothing unfair about it.they knew the good people of reading dont give a shit,and we wouldnt sell out.they acted accordingly.i bet 20 thousand extra will turn up at wembley though. We are quite embarrassing sometimes.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 13 May 2011 00:04

Para Handy it's a bit unfair but to be honest no one gives a shit.

Sums it all up perfectly

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 13 May 2011 00:05

brendywendy i bet 20 thousand extra will turn up at wembley though. We are quite embarrassing sometimes.

Sad but true.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 13 May 2011 00:10

Hi Brendy,

I'm not sure what you're on about, but then to be honest I never am. What's not unfair about it? Perhaps you'd like to clarify?

I'm guessing that 20 thousand extra may turn up at Wembley too. Your point?

It always makes me laugh this thing about loyal fans and who should be "allowed" to go etc etc. I've been watching Reading for much longer than you mate. Does this give me a sense of superiority? No, not really.

I also struggle to understand the loyal follower bit. It always comes across as it's veiwed as some kind of sacrifice. Erm, so, it's a chore following Reading then? It's not something you enjoy? It's something we should all applaud you for. This mighty sacrifice of going to games that you're not forced to?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 13 May 2011 07:00

As a drifting fan that has seen few games since promotion I love to see crowds fill the ground, I wish the club was able to grow and extend, getting 30k a game would be awesome.

Was it unfair, not really, then we are told that there are no bad seats in the ground, which is why some areas sell slower than others, there are seats that are worse than others, cannot be denied.

Perhaps it is time for Club members, an annual fee to get to the top of the list, with added points for attending, sell those at the same time as ST, that would give the seasons regs a advance chance of getting the better regualr seats they use.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 May 2011 09:10

Para Handy Hi Brendy,

I'm not sure what you're on about, but then to be honest I never am. What's not unfair about it? Perhaps you'd like to clarify?

It always makes me laugh this thing about loyal fans and who should be "allowed" to go etc etc. I've been watching Reading for much longer than you mate. Does this give me a sense of superiority? No, not really.

I also struggle to understand the loyal follower bit. It always comes across as it's veiwed as some kind of sacrifice. Erm, so, it's a chore following Reading then? It's not something you enjoy? It's something we should all applaud you for. This mighty sacrifice of going to games that you're not forced to?
&you dont know what im on about!? I havent a clue what you are saying,or why. You said it was unfair.i said how can it be if everyone gets a ticket who want one. Then you went off on a random one about loyal fans,and you going longer than me. I never said fook all about not enjoying it, being a chore, loyal supporters. I simply stated that i felt it was an embarassment that we cant sell out two playoff semis in a row. And it definately is. No need for a 3 paragraph rant.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 13 May 2011 14:53

You don't own your usual seat, the club don't care if you think you do.

The End.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 May 2011 12:01

Lol @ all the unfairness, when there were hundreds of empty seats.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 14 May 2011 12:13

Hoop Blah By virtue of their points totals they're already long term and committed customers though Dirk, they just purchase in a way that might not be the clubs the ultimate goal.

I can only guess, but I'd assume that the chunk of fans I'm thinking of, roughly defined as those 15-20 games a season regulars, aren't season ticket holders for pretty valid reasons (ie they go to 15-20 games a season so it's not financially sensible to pay upfront for all games).

At the end of the day it comes down to rewarding the loyalty and using the points system they have in place. They don't want to do that which I personally find a bit of daft way of running things.

I'm one of these. Chose to sit in the south stand in order to sit with a mate with a low points total, but could have sat in our usual seats if we'd wanted. Have to say, I think the club has got it roughly right for this. Was a shame it wasn't quite a sell out, but I don't think you can blame the club for that.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 14 May 2011 21:51

brendywendy
Para Handy Hi Brendy,

&you dont know what im on about!? I havent a clue what you are saying,or why. You said it was unfair.i said how can it be if everyone gets a ticket who want one. Then you went off on a random one about loyal fans,and you going longer than me. I never said fook all about not enjoying it, being a chore, loyal supporters. I simply stated that i felt it was an embarassment that we cant sell out two playoff semis in a row. And it definately is. No need for a 3 paragraph rant.

Yes, Brendy, I'm saying it's "mildy" unfair whether they sold out or not that tickets were available on the same day to people with 0 points and "possibly" 1800. I don't understand why you can't see that. Nevermind. You're right to chastise me about a 3 paragraph rant though. Next thing you know I'll be racking up 30,000 pointless posts.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 May 2011 18:08

Para Handy Try reading the thread first Ian. You perfectly illustrate the point of someone jumping in with no idea of what is being discussed but determined to get their point across.

No one is complaining about the availability of the tickets. It's being pointed out that it's "mildly" unfair that it went to General sale immediately after Season Ticket sales. That's it. It's being pointed out that people with 0 points can buy at the same time as people with possibly 1800 plus points thereby depriving them of their usual seats. That's it.

It seems to have generally been decided that, yeah, it's a bit unfair but to be honest no one gives a shit.

Surely it's only unfair if people can't get a ticket? The club judged demand spot on by the looks of it.

Points are to ensure regulars can attend and don't get left out because suddenly everyone wants to go to their first game of the season. If everyone can get a ticket anyway they aren't really needed.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 15 May 2011 19:09

^this. The only game that was sold out/close to selling out this season was Leeds and let's be honest, it wasn't the signing of Leigertwood that put bums on seats.

Everyone that wanted an away ticket had the opportunity to do so, can't remember what the points band was for Friday but it took 6 days to sell out.