Stadium naming - where you stand

Would you give your support behind keeping the name of the stadium?

Yes - SJM has given this club the best 20 years in our long history and deserves a lasting legacy
51%
No - He is no longer the owner and the club can do what they like with the name
21%
Indifferent - It's only a name, it will do for now
28%

Total votes: 141
Pat Butchers Ring

Stadium naming - where you stand

by Pat Butchers Ring » 23 Feb 2012 17:23

im fully behind SJM with keeping the legacy of this great man. he's done wonders for our club and deserves his place in history.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Stadium naming - where you stand

by Friday's Legacy » 23 Feb 2012 17:52

the name elm park meant everything. the name madejski stadium means very little to me. at the end of the day naming rights = easy money for the club and that means more investment. that is more important to me than a name over the stadium!

i would though like to see a stand named after him, and perhaps a statue. the latter meaning a lot more than the stadium name.

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 23 Feb 2012 19:53

Friday's Legacy i would though like to see a stand named after him,.

this for me

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 23 Feb 2012 22:00

Bit ambivolent really. What p*sses me off is there is no identifying feature inside the ground that you're at the home of Reading FC except for blue seats and a small sign above the tunnel. When it was built the stadium was all about Madejski really, hence why instead of "READING FC" or "ROYALS" or "RFC" on in the seated areas you have "MADEJSKI STADIUM" instead.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 23 Feb 2012 22:08

I think the latter depends on the former, shirley!

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 24 Feb 2012 03:27

Easy way to make money and I'd rather have a new player then worry about what the stadium's name is. :| Chances are people will always end up calling the 'The Madejski' or 'The Mad Stad' anyway so not fussed.

Madejski will be remembered as long as this club exists anyway, if the name does change he could always have a suite or a road around the stadium named after him... even maybe a stand.. I suggest the West Upper

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 24 Feb 2012 06:34

Wimb Easy way to make money and I'd rather have a new player then worry about what the stadium's name is. :| Chances are people will always end up calling the 'The Madejski' or 'The Mad Stad' anyway so not fussed.

Madejski will be remembered as long as this club exists anyway, if the name does change he could always have a suite or a road around the stadium named after him... even maybe a stand.. I suggest the West Upper

Hurst Way perhaps?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 24 Feb 2012 10:08

Egos aside, when the new ground was named Madejski Stadium, it joined a very select number of grounds that were named after an individual. There was Fellowes Park (before Walsall moved to the Bescot and well before the Mad Stad was built), Ninian Park (named after a local dignatory) and more recently the Kassam in Oxford. I think that keeping the name as the Mad Stad would make a refreshing change from the spread of corporate capitalist greed.

The vast majority of the grounds in this country took their names from a road or are of the town or city obviously before money was king. Very little originality in that. Brentford's ground took their name from the local brewery - the Griffin being the emblem of Fuller, Smith & Turner I believe.

Do we really want to end up like America? Look at the names of their stadia. It makes me shudder http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports_venues_with_sole_naming_rights

Whataburger Field anyone? :shock:

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 24 Feb 2012 10:11

It's only a name. I couldn't care either way, but if we can bring in x amount of million(s) per season for another couldn't care less name then IMO we would be foolish not to.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 24 Feb 2012 10:45

I would not be surprised if there was a distinctive age split between those that don't care what the name is and those that are of a more traditional persuasion. I fall quite clearly into the latter group.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 24 Feb 2012 11:07

Terminal Boardom Egos aside, when the new ground was named Madejski Stadium, it joined a very select number of grounds that were named after an individual. There was Fellowes Park (before Walsall moved to the Bescot and well before the Mad Stad was built), Ninian Park (named after a local dignatory) and more recently the Kassam in Oxford. I think that keeping the name as the Mad Stad would make a refreshing change from the spread of corporate capitalist greed.

The vast majority of the grounds in this country took their names from a road or are of the town or city obviously before money was king. Very little originality in that. Brentford's ground took their name from the local brewery - the Griffin being the emblem of Fuller, Smith & Turner I believe.

Do we really want to end up like America? Look at the names of their stadia. It makes me shudder http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports_venues_with_sole_naming_rights

Pizza Hut Park :lol:

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 24 Feb 2012 12:46

Terminal Boardom I would not be surprised if there was a distinctive age split between those that don't care what the name is and those that are of a more traditional persuasion. I fall quite clearly into the latter group.

Perhaps. It's just a name. Had we been at Elm Park (spiritual home) then I would be dead against it. At the end of the day it is what it is. I never call it the Madejski Stadium anyway. It's just the football ground.

postwhisperer

by postwhisperer » 24 Feb 2012 15:03

royalp-we
Terminal Boardom Egos aside, when the new ground was named Madejski Stadium, it joined a very select number of grounds that were named after an individual. There was Fellowes Park (before Walsall moved to the Bescot and well before the Mad Stad was built), Ninian Park (named after a local dignatory) and more recently the Kassam in Oxford. I think that keeping the name as the Mad Stad would make a refreshing change from the spread of corporate capitalist greed.

Pizza Hut Park :lol:

Where is that?

Magnus

by Magnus » 24 Feb 2012 15:15

Frisco, TX

Pat Butchers Ring

by Pat Butchers Ring » 24 Feb 2012 16:00

For me the single most thing I would want to change about our club is the fact we we don't seem to value our identity. Perhaps the poll should have been what is unique about Reading. We don't value our hoops, nickname, ground or even as fans we don't have anything that is unique to us. Everything about us is pretty generic.

postwhisperer

by postwhisperer » 24 Feb 2012 16:06

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 24 Feb 2012 17:34

Terminal Boardom I would not be surprised if there was a distinctive age split between those that don't care what the name is and those that are of a more traditional persuasion. I fall quite clearly into the latter group.

i'm also in the latter, however i feel no bond to the stadium or name above its head. at elm park i did. if we can make an extra million a season by having some sponsors name on the stadium then great, why not? it's another decent player coming in, or another 20k a week on the wage budget.

as mentioned, name the west stand after john madejski, stick a statue outside the ground of him arm in arm with steve coppell (picture from leicester). embrace and thank them both in that way. and as per the below, embrace our history and not be ashamed of it as we seem to have been since we left elm park behind.

Pat Butchers Ring For me the single most thing I would want to change about our club is the fact we we don't seem to value our identity. Perhaps the poll should have been what is unique about Reading. We don't value our hoops, nickname, ground or even as fans we don't have anything that is unique to us. Everything about us is pretty generic.

couldn't agree with that more. ever since we left elm park it was as if those years we left behind were a dirty word. i'd love to see former players names on the stands, and pride shown in where we came from - no matter how successful we were and weren't. we're proud if it, so embrace it!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Feb 2012 08:02

It's the Madjeski Stadium for a reason and should remain as such.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 25 Feb 2012 08:47

Elm Park 2.

I don't stand, I sit

HTH

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Feb 2012 10:10

I don't like renaming stadiums. It's been the Madejski Stadium for about 12 years now... that's what it is and what it always will be for me.

As for statues, that's for playing or managing greats once they're dead.

If we're to have any statues they should be of things like Friday shitting in a kit bag, kissing a copper or scoring that goal. Coppell throwing his coat (once he's dead). Murty bundling Kingsley (once he's dead). Death in mid-dive....

Ok, maybe Hammond with a phone in one hand, a massive wodge of cash in the other and a massive grin on his face.