New Website?

255 posts
richierock

Re: New Website?

by richierock » 01 Aug 2012 12:48

I'll send an email to webmaster@readingfc.co.uk, copied to customerservice@readingfc.co.uk. These appear to be the contact email addys (according to the infamous website)

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 01 Aug 2012 12:52

Platypuss
Wimb I imagine the club must have signed up to some silly 10 year contract or something similar

ISTR a 20 year contract way back!

Originally a 20-year contract back in 2000!

http://www.football-league.co.uk/latestnews/20020716/league-considers-ntl-approach-over-internet-deal_2293301_240144

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 01 Aug 2012 13:00

Only 8 more years to go!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 01 Aug 2012 13:01

2.8 lita injection Just tried to look at some match reports from last season and before, they dont exist anymore.

Shambles.

Deffo a shambles, but the content is still there - it's the links from the results that haven't been restored. Match reports can be found if you do a search, eg: Reading 1-0 Forest from April:

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/fixtures-results/match-report/?matchid=3409700&tcmuri=147808

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 01 Aug 2012 13:02

They'd probably welcome as many emails as possible - so they can forward them onto PTV to show evidence of how much people dislike teh new design.

richierock

by richierock » 01 Aug 2012 14:37

Here's the (swift) reply I received from Paul Collins, at the club:
================
Thank you for your email. We are aware that supporters are currently experiencing some issues with our new website. We are taking all feedback on board and making Sapient - the central company - aware of slow loading times and functionality issues.
Many other clubs have also launched their new website using Sapient, and are also currently experiencing similar issues.
I am very sorry for the current inconvenience.
=================

So at least they're aware of issues!

Yahoops

by Yahoops » 01 Aug 2012 14:46

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 01 Aug 2012 17:51

Platypuss
Platypuss
Wimb I imagine the club must have signed up to some silly 10 year contract or something similar

ISTR a 20 year contract way back!

Originally a 20-year contract back in 2000!

http://www.football-league.co.uk/latestnews/20020716/league-considers-ntl-approach-over-internet-deal_2293301_240144

Around the time of the ITV Digital CoLOLapse no wonder they signed up to it :roll:

EPR

by EPR » 01 Aug 2012 18:24

If you click on:

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/tickets/away-games/

It loads this image:

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/cms_images/n ... 211949.jpg

Which is a 3,098px × 2,323px over 1.5MB image file!!

It is then left to your browser to struggle to scale that to just under 500px width every time you view the page, even if the image is already in your cache.

Now it would seem from the image URL by virtue of the keyword "cms" (Content Management System) that this image has probably been uploaded by someone at Reading FC via the club's back-end interface to the website. I've no problem with that. Reading FC should be able to upload pictures and other media without having to worry about website optimisation - and then the CMS optimises / re-sizes uploads to make them appropriate for where / how they are included - not just sent out raw!!!

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 01 Aug 2012 18:47

The end user is typically a moron, and typically the designer should assume this. 1.5mb image :lol: :lol:

EPR

by EPR » 01 Aug 2012 19:00

In a set-up like this, there should be no expectation of your CMS users (the club's employees or agents uploading content) to be aware of the intricacies of media optimisation for online delivery. It's not their job - they're not website designers, developers - but have more of a journalistic role - which is to provide the information in the best quality they can!

In fact, there are many valid reasons for media upload to be in the best resolution possible - as this allows maximum flexibility in the delivery of that content - which SHOULD be scaled and optimised to suit!

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 01 Aug 2012 20:35

I still can't believe they are touting player as going under an upgrade and still advertising it as a flash video service. A 2MB FLASH VIDEO SERVICE. no less. So it will still look shit without some proper encoding. Which it won't have.

Flash is dead, HTML5 is the future. And with the current design makes the site completely useless for Ipad owners, not least because performance on the main site is piss poor.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 01 Aug 2012 21:45

Surprisingly I had no problem buying my Chelsea tickets using my mobile earlier.

Still shit though.

Squelchy2507

by Squelchy2507 » 01 Aug 2012 22:34

I have just submitted the following to Sapient via the 'Contact Us' page on their website. http://www.sapient.com/en-gb/contact-us.html

I am contacting you following a recent update of the official website for Reading Football club, for which I am informed you are the central provider. Well all I can say is the new design is ABSOLUTELY DREADFUL. The site takes an age to load and graphics keep re-sizing and moving around as it does so. It is horrible to use and some of the images loaded are of ridiculous file sizes, so no wonder it takes such a long time to render.
PLEASE SORT IT OUT.
You may be interested in some feedback at the following noticeboard on the supporters fan site.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=113281&start=160

I belive that supporters of other football league clubs are suffering from similar frustrations.

Others may want to do similar.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 01 Aug 2012 22:35

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 02 Aug 2012 09:01

According to someone ITK at another club there are 3 templates available to select from, and the one Reading is using is the one which their media team considers "the best."

Which instantly raises the question of how bad must the other two be!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 02 Aug 2012 09:17

Alexander Litvinenko According to someone ITK at another club there are 3 templates available to select from, and the one Reading is using is the one which their media team considers "the best."

Which instantly raises the question of how bad must the other two be!

Or possibly totally functionally excellent but don't look "fresh and modern". ie just like like BBC Sport.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 02 Aug 2012 09:22

BBC Sport was, I'm pretty sure, redesigned because the cuts meant they they needed a website that could be managed by fewer people. All the talk about user improvements was pretty much BS.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Aug 2012 11:33

Is it normal to be able to call up images directly from the sites CMS from the outside world like the one above?

Obvioulsy the CMS has to be able to deliver the image to the browser but now you can access them directly and get hold of the images for yourself once you know the file name (this certainly wouldn't have been possible under the old site when you couldn't, from what I remember, view the source code or right click on the page for the image names etc).

Seems a bit sloppy to me compared to the old site being totally locked down.

EPR

by EPR » 02 Aug 2012 11:38

Hoop Blah Is it normal to be able to call up images directly from the sites CMS from the outside world like the one above?

Obvioulsy the CMS has to be able to deliver the image to the browser but now you can access them directly and get hold of the images for yourself once you know the file name (this certainly wouldn't have been possible under the old site when you couldn't, from what I remember, view the source code or right click on the page for the image names etc).

Seems a bit sloppy to me compared to the old site being totally locked down.

If it can be viewed by the browser as you say it can also be viewed as is - that's all perfectly normal / acceptable. Any "locking down" from an end user point of view on the previous version would have been purely Javascript based - disable JavaScript and you'd be able to right click on any image and view the source URL as normal.

255 posts