Should Reading change our club crest...

142 posts
Green
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Should Reading change our club crest...

by Green » 30 Nov 2020 21:47

Winston Biscuit rel8ed - I have said for ages I think the shirt should have the flag of Berkshire on it. Maybe a little one on the sleeve. Something to differentiate it from others and make it more personally linked to the area

Disagree, it's not cricket. Reading don't really represent the county as a whole.

Sure fans come in from the surrounding areas but it's not on county lines.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Dec 2020 13:11

Winston Biscuit rel8ed - I have said for ages I think the shirt should have the flag of Berkshire on it. Maybe a little one on the sleeve. Something to differentiate it from others and make it more personally linked to the area

So, by that flag then, Reading should really be playing in Norwich type colours :?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 06 Jan 2021 11:02

Reading4eva All the uproar across Everton & Port Vale about changing there club crests has got me thinking. Everton said their old crest was badly represented on TV, tablets and in computer games. It was also difficult to replicate, which led to a change. The Everton fans are not fans of this of course, and have already kicked off as reported in newspapers.

Their CEO has a point though, and it led to me thinking about Reading's crest. The wording is hard to see when the image is too small. Also the lion and the crown are difficult to see.

How about making a shield (in respect to our old crests), with a blue and white hooped background with Reading at the top and 1871 at the bottom, with a lion with a ball at its feet and crown on its head in the middle. Would be more of a brand than our current logo? Discuss!
I recall the reasons for switching to the current crest were pretty similar to those given by Everton above, plus working better on merchandise as a round logo.

You don't have to read the wording on a logo to recognise the logo.

I do get annoyed with things like away shirts that change the logo colour to the colour of the print rather than have the actual colour logo sewn on.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 13 Jan 2021 15:36

Never quite understood that sh*tty broken tree. Seems an odd symbolism

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 13 Jan 2021 16:07

John Madejski's Wallet

Sir Geoff Berkshire planted that tree in 1458 right after slaying the plague riddled French. Upon his next visit to it a deer appeared and stood next to it looking up, he took this as a holy sign as Jesus' mum had once looked up at a tree, and the fable of the Berkshire Wonky Tree was born. Pilgrims are known to make their way to the site once a year from all over the globe.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Jan 2021 10:39

New golden badge revealed for next season's 150th anniversary celebrations:

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2021/j ... 1871-2021/

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 19 Jan 2021 11:57

Looks like plenty of plans in place from OS which is good....including a new kit...maybe it will be narrow hoops circa early 1970's or even narrow stripes as per first ever kit??

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Jan 2021 14:26

Mid Sussex Royal Looks like plenty of plans in place from OS which is good....including a new kit...maybe it will be narrow hoops circa early 1970's or even narrow stripes as per first ever kit??

According to this http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Reading/Reading.htm our first ever kit was narrow hoops. Would quite like a throwback to the 1879-91 era with a giant ?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Jan 2021 13:42

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Jan 2021 13:58

That would be oxf*rd skillz.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Jan 2021 14:56

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 23 Jan 2021 14:12

Not the best edit there (kits looks too long and badges too small) but like the concept - our first kit style with everything in gold. Is simple and basically what everyone wants. Macron have been class so far with kits so am optimistic they will smash it.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 01 Feb 2021 15:52

Reading4eva No... But something more of a brand. The maiwand lion should take pride of place. It is the symbol of Reading after all. Palace have a new logo for next season too

its pretty distinctive as is.
think, along with the hoops its a more than recogniseable brand

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 01 Feb 2021 15:57

John Madejski's Wallet

just an ancient oak innit.
they tend to grow like that when really old

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 Mar 2021 22:03

That and it wouldn't fit on the flag if it was fully formed.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 May 2021 13:27

I’m up for that, nice idea

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 16 May 2021 20:18

Hendo That would be oxf*rd skillz.

That would be a 10. Love that.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Jun 2021 10:29

SouthDownsRoyal

Maybe a start would be for fans to actually buy the flag and display it at the Mad Stad?

As the club do not own the Berkshire Flag, that would be an issue as they would not able to stop 3rd party vendors using it and indeed the owners of the flag (Berkshire council?) may block them using it or demand royalties.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Jun 2021 10:56

Forbury Lion
SouthDownsRoyal

Maybe a start would be for fans to actually buy the flag and display it at the Mad Stad?

As the club do not own the Berkshire Flag, that would be an issue as they would not able to stop 3rd party vendors using it and indeed the owners of the flag (Berkshire council?) may block them using it or demand royalties.

Do you mean RFC would need to ask permission to display it but fans waving it wouldn't? (seems crazy that displaying a flag might need someone else's permission, but we live ni crazy times)

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Jun 2021 11:40

Winston Biscuit
Forbury Lion
SouthDownsRoyal

Do you mean RFC would need to ask permission to display it but fans waving it wouldn't? (seems crazy that displaying a flag might need someone else's permission, but we live in crazy times)
RFC would likely need permission to make money from it, for example selling a football shirt with it printed on.... same as me needing permission to print the RFC badge on things I plan to sell.

I don't think anyone needs permission to fly the flag though.... other than perhaps planning permission if it's a new flagpole or something.

I would like to see Reading flags and the Berkshire flag flying from the corners of the Stadium.

142 posts