311 posts
elrey

Re: New Training Ground

by elrey » 12 Jul 2019 14:44

Nameless
elrey
WoodleyRoyal
What a strange post...

Why is it strange? There's negativity around the Chinese owners. I'm replying to someone who said this and giving reasons why I think that this negativity will never go away.

Except you have compared two different things. We have Chinese owners, they employ the likes of Nigel Howe to do the managing. Just because your middle manager Chinese bosses were a bit clueless (and I suspect we could all cite examples of rubbish English bosses) doesn’t mean successful Chinese entrepreneurs will be equally rubbish.
As for negativity around the owners, surely that is history now and there is a pretty positive view of them these days. I doubt any of it was based on what middle management is like in China and was actually more about English bias and perception and a desire for anyowner just to spend huge sums of money.

So you don't want to listen to what I've got to say. That's fine, doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Jul 2019 15:00

elrey
Nameless
elrey
Why is it strange? There's negativity around the Chinese owners. I'm replying to someone who said this and giving reasons why I think that this negativity will never go away.

Except you have compared two different things. We have Chinese owners, they employ the likes of Nigel Howe to do the managing. Just because your middle manager Chinese bosses were a bit clueless (and I suspect we could all cite examples of rubbish English bosses) doesn’t mean successful Chinese entrepreneurs will be equally rubbish.
As for negativity around the owners, surely that is history now and there is a pretty positive view of them these days. I doubt any of it was based on what middle management is like in China and was actually more about English bias and perception and a desire for anyowner just to spend huge sums of money.

So you don't want to listen to what I've got to say. That's fine, doesn't bother me one way or the other.

So you don’t want anyone to comment on what you say ?
It’s a discussion board, not your personal blog and it seems fair enough for people to comment on anything posted on here.
Sorry if you thought you could just issue statements and everyone would nod and agree !
It’s not even as if I said you were wrong !
Presumably the skin gets thinner once you’ve endured the horrors of life in China....

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Jul 2019 20:05

Whore Jackie There's going to be two domes as far as I can tell. One at The Forest, which I suspect will be the more public-friendly, community based. And probably a bit of sweetener for the school, for looking after their Academy kids. Planning was granted some time ago, but it's taking forever to get going.

The other one is going to be at Bearwood, to the far south of the site. On the last plan I saw, it was going next to the beautiful walled garden, which they're busy restoring. They're going to try and blend it in with the other original surrounding buildings, so it's going to look more like a wooden barn, rather than an inflatable igloo.

Great research and thank you. This is excellent news and much needed facility to such a site and totally on a par with other category one clubs.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 15 Dec 2020 12:43

New 'inflatable' dome at the Forest School looks pretty finished. They've built an access road from Arbor Lane, presumably to keep it as separate as possible from the school.

In other news, just read that they've got planning permission from WBC for 140 houses at Hogwood. Could be a big chunk of income for whoever now owns the land!

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 01 Feb 2023 12:23

The view of Bearwood from a drone. Pretty impressive.

https://youtu.be/riQJ9_aVcyI

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 01 Feb 2023 12:29

RG30 The view of Bearwood from a drone. Pretty impressive.

Obligatory ethereal music :)

Always wondered if you get 100 hours of soundtracks like that for free with every drone bought.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Feb 2023 12:40

RG30 The view of Bearwood from a drone. Pretty impressive.

That is impressive. Not quite in the same league as Chelsea's but still really good. No wonder new signings mention it as one of the attractions.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 02 Feb 2023 12:28

Wonder why they kept away from the other side and not face into main building and pitch. Either way, impressive facility.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Feb 2023 10:29

Can't help but think about the golf course that was. Used to play there with my Dad when he was alive.

But then again these sort of sites are hard to come by. Milton Keynes have been looking for a training site for best part of ten years. Have now got approval to use the old Nationl Bowl site

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Feb 2023 09:30

I went to Afc Bournemouth new first team base and academy last week. Well, i say new - they have a state of the art pitch laid down and a few portacabins but looking at the plans, its very impressive and looks very similar to Reading's in terms of facilities, buildings and location.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 06 Feb 2023 13:18

bcubed Can't help but think about the golf course that was. Used to play there with my Dad when he was alive.

Believe 2 of the golf holes, close to the lake, are still in place.

311 posts