Safe standing end?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Safe standing end?

by sandman » 29 Apr 2015 08:09

biff Walking into my gate in b16 feels more and more like ive paid for chicken and chips, a party bag and a 15 minute run around Charlie Chalks.

biff LOOK AT HOW WELCOMING THIS STAND IS TO CHILDREN, JUST LOOK AT IT! ITS BLUE AND WHITE, LOOK AT THE NONCE DRESSED UP AS A LIONESS. ARENT MATCHDAYS FUN! GOOD TIMES NEVER SEEMED SO GOOD.

Make like a tree and get out of here then butthead.

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 29 Apr 2015 09:42

Nameless Fair enough, although it seems odd to expect 2 people to stand in each space . Does this mean they wouldn't go with the foldable seats model, just rip the seats out and stick crush barriers in ?

Effective answer is the same though, the foundations are plenty strong enough.

I think that particular module is the one that is designed to maximise capacity, so it wouldn't necessarily be one that is commonly used over here.. I think for us it would also require a major reconstruction to the stand as there would need be a second step put in for every one step that is there currently.

I think the most suggested module over here is the rail seats, most commonly used in Germany, which can be put down for more high profile matches (Champions League and Europa). Also easily moved into the current layout of most stadiums and don't require any major remodelling to the actual seating areas other than removing what was already there. Even this method I believe gives around a 40% increase in capacity.

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 29 Apr 2015 10:02

Cureton's Volley Why exactly would they make the family zone the standing area? :roll:

That's hardly a showstopper. Maybe we could move the family zone, or is it glued down with that Gorilla stuff?

biff

by biff » 29 Apr 2015 10:11

I'm a relatively young fan, fortunate enough to see my first few games at elm Park before the switch. I think you overestimate how much all the pictures of Kingsley stuck to the north stand actually mean for a child's desire to go to football. The game itself, and the atmosphere, are what kept me coming back, and my mates on their kid for a quid jaunts. The sanctioned shouting and being boistrous for 90 minutes without mum watching is a much bigger pull than an 8 quid half time goodie bag.

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 30 Apr 2015 21:17

Having spoken to someone who knows, the idea is a complete non starter until the games are 100% sold out with a waiting list.

Nice as it is the expense of making it happen is beyond what the club can and will afford for nil reward. Find another 10k fans and who knows.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 May 2015 09:39

So basically that's the same as it has been for a long time. Get in the Prem, look like we're going to stay there and then extend the ground (possibly with safe standing included)
Common sense....

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 01 May 2015 15:30

Nameless So basically that's the same as it has been for a long time. Get in the Prem, look like we're going to stay there and then extend the ground (possibly with safe standing included)
Common sense....

If you're thinking of this purely in terms of ground expansion, yes you're right, but I think that is only part of what it could achieve. If the club is just not prepared/able to invest in the ground, fair enough, but the point of safe standing is beyond creating extra space for a permanently sold out stadium. If you remember what standing ends at grounds used to be like, even a safe standing end could :-

- improve the atmosphere at the ground (there's certainly room for improvement here)
- create a cheaper season ticket or match day ticket price for people who may not currently be able to afford to go
- increase capacity without the expense of removing the roof (as was previously proposed)

I think this is worthy of consideration outside of any expansion plans. Not a clue about cost implications though.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 01 May 2015 18:42

ladida_gunner_graham - create a cheaper season ticket or match day ticket price for people who may not currently be able to afford to go

A lot of people, not necessarily yourself, have the daft notion in their heads that if standing was brought back, you'd be able to get in cheaply, like in Germany.

If League Two clubs charge around £18 to stand, you would still be looking at about £25 for standing in the Championship.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 01 May 2015 19:35

ladida_gunner_graham
Nameless So basically that's the same as it has been for a long time. Get in the Prem, look like we're going to stay there and then extend the ground (possibly with safe standing included)
Common sense....

If you're thinking of this purely in terms of ground expansion, yes you're right, but I think that is only part of what it could achieve. If the club is just not prepared/able to invest in the ground, fair enough, but the point of safe standing is beyond creating extra space for a permanently sold out stadium. If you remember what standing ends at grounds used to be like, even a safe standing end could :-

- improve the atmosphere at the ground (there's certainly room for improvement here)
- create a cheaper season ticket or match day ticket price for people who may not currently be able to afford to go
- increase capacity without the expense of removing the roof (as was previously proposed)

I think this is worthy of consideration outside of any expansion plans. Not a clue about cost implications though.

Why would it increase capacity? They still need to provide space for each person, and as for providing a cheaper season ticket/match day ticket. Why in the hell would they want to do that, and if for a moment we allow that the club would want to piss away ticket money to get bums on seats, they don't need a standing area to do it.

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 01 May 2015 22:35

Royal Ginger
ladida_gunner_graham
Common sense....

Why would it increase capacity? They still need to provide space for each person, and as for providing a cheaper season ticket/match day ticket. Why in the hell would they want to do that, and if for a moment we allow that the club would want to piss away ticket money to get bums on seats, they don't need a standing area to do it.

See earlier post and link from GH Royal. Standing areas have an 80% increase in capacity. It is not intuitive that a standing person takes up less space than a sitting one?

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 02 May 2015 11:35

tmesis
ladida_gunner_graham - create a cheaper season ticket or match day ticket price for people who may not currently be able to afford to go

A lot of people, not necessarily yourself, have the daft notion in their heads that if standing was brought back, you'd be able to get in cheaply, like in Germany.

If League Two clubs charge around £18 to stand, you would still be looking at about £25 for standing in the Championship.

Surely though, the pricing policy is at discretion of the club, so if the standing tickets are not cheap one of the potential benefits may indeed go. If the capacity increases by 80% they can almost halve the ticket price without losing revenue so long as attracts additional fans (admittedly, this is not at all guaranteed). I suppose it depends on what the club might want to achieve if they did go down this path.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 03 May 2015 16:24

ladida_gunner_graham If the capacity increases by 80% they can almost halve the ticket price without losing revenue

They could, but why on earth would they, if people would still pay £20 to stand?

There's nowhere in England where you have seats and standing, that have standing at half the price of seating. Normally it's about £2-£3 cheaper.

Why are people so naive that they believe standing in the championship/premier league would see clubs offering tickets at prices that might just about get you into Basingstoke or Maidenhead?

66DD

by 66DD » 03 May 2015 17:19

Why should standing be cheaper than sitting?

If standing is the premium product (e.g. better atmosphere) then surely it should be at a premium price shouldn't it?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 01 Jun 2015 11:48

ladida_gunner_graham See earlier post and link from GH Royal. Standing areas have an 80% increase in capacity. It is not intuitive that a standing person takes up less space than a sitting one?

It is, yes. However, I remember at Nottingham Forest a few years ago there was a guy in front of me who had to buy 2 seats

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 01 Jun 2015 12:09

Standing , was always safe ( enough ) I started going ( and standing ) when I was about 8 or 9 at Elm park during the 70's , I am still alive .
I also used to climb trees , ride a bike and play football in the road , used swings and seesaws without bouncy tarmac floors or woodchip safety landing areas.
Now i am getting older , I want to sit BUT , i'd love it if the was a raucous standing area , generating atmosphere. Let's face it , a lot of people stand anyway , and around chairs ( which i would expect is more dangerous as there is less space to move )

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jun 2015 13:14

66DD Why should standing be cheaper than sitting?

If standing is the premium product (e.g. better atmosphere) then surely it should be at a premium price shouldn't it?

Because sitting is more comfortable and takes up a premium in space.

I'd be happy paying the same price, but would be very surprised if there wasn't a £3-£5 discount for it compared to sitting. Should it ever happens

biff

by biff » 09 Jun 2015 16:07

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... on-granted

2600 people to be able to stand at celtic park from 2016. Brilliant brilliant news.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 09 Jun 2015 16:29

Wow, if only Dirk Gently (RIP) were still alive to see it.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 10 Jun 2015 16:15

What I would be interested to know, and it isn't stated in that article, is whether there is a capacity change as a result. Will it be a case of 1 "old" seat = 1 rail seat = 1 person or will the 2600 people in this area be in the place of a different number of people to previously?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Jun 2015 17:15

Would a safe standing are not require more stewarding which would be pushed onto the ticket cost?

In terms or ticket prices, the favored safe standing option as implemented somewhere in Scotland is to have fold up seats so you have one person per seat, That isn't going to increase capacity so tickets won't be any cheaper.

Reading FC - We're not selling out the ground and I doubt we would gain any extra attendance as a result of inuring the expense of implementing safe standing so why would they bother?