Radio Berks or 107FM

Do you prefer Radio Berkshire or 107FM

Radio Berkshire
90%
107FM
6%
No opinion
2%
As long as there is commentary I am happy.
3%

Total votes: 178
Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 24 Jul 2006 08:11

SouthDownsRoyal Highest bidder wins, welcome to the real world

Why do the rights have to be exclusive?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Jul 2006 08:35

Platypuss

Surely accepting two deals at say £50k each is better than one at £70k?

dangermouse

by dangermouse » 24 Jul 2006 10:33

Platypuss

It would be interesting to know the clubs reasoning behind this. The Premier League has finally discovered that exclusivity does not necessarily provide the best returns.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 24 Jul 2006 10:40

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.

Reading is owned by JM - or at least a large percentage is. Reading 107 won because JM wanted them too. He wants them to have the only coverage, and I think he is pushing the station to what he thinks is success.

Legend OK

I still can't see the big fuss over it - the only fuss is caused by pLOLastics who don't attend the games who don't count anyway.

Well, some so called "plastics" are simply fans who can not attend games. Some have families, not a lot of money, or work commitments. Legend - do you attend all home and away games? If so, lucky you, however some can't do this, and depend on the excellent coverage that BBC Berkshire have given us.

A lot of fans love the coverage that BBC Berkshire present, as well as the presenters themselves. If you listen to much radio, you'll realise that the presenters are the prime reason for listeners staying with the station. The sports presenters in this case for BBC Berkshire were very good. Very enthusiastic, passionate, seemed to care about the club and fans, and were always there.

I used to always listen to the Royal Box on 107FM, then all of a sudden one saturday afternoon at 3:05pm, there was just music there, no coverage.... that was when I tuned into BBC Berkshire.

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 24 Jul 2006 12:19

Legend I still can't see the big fuss over it - the only fuss is caused by pLOLastics who don't attend the games who don't count anyway.

Quite a successful fishing trip ....

So what about the hundreds (maybe thousands) of OAPs who used to put money into the club supporting them, but are now too old to attend matches in person?

For them the radio is their only link to matches now and unless they live in Reading itself they're now disenfranachised. Oh, sorry, they can pay for internet access, can't they? How useful is that for them?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Jul 2006 14:02

Come on STAR, the solution is quite simple, the Chairman has said as such - in effect all the OAPs have to do is sign their pension books over to him and then he will give the rights back to Radio Berks!

Blue Jay

by Blue Jay » 01 Aug 2006 09:43

Thanks everyone for the support!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Aug 2006 10:26

I'm sure the following point has been made on another thread during my absence - but how can JM complain on the one hand about players wanting more money etc etc cos they're in the premiership and then selling out to the "highest" bidder for bloddy radio rights?? JM owns 107 end of. BBC Berks is far superior in every way and should at least have equal pickings imho.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 01 Aug 2006 10:46

Royal Lady I'm sure the following point has been made on another thread during my absence - but how can JM complain on the one hand about players wanting more money etc etc cos they're in the premiership and then selling out to the "highest" bidder for bloddy radio rights?? JM owns 107 end of. BBC Berks is far superior in every way and should at least have equal pickings imho.

Well, I think the winner here is BBC Berkshire. They are the better radio station, especially for royals coverage. I've boycotted 107FM now, and I'm sure many others have done too.

I see your point, and again it's the money that talks. I think his business attitude and personality is being shown in this circumstance. They are blatantly leeching every pound from every source. Car parking during matches, alcaholo sales, hot dog sales, prices of programmes, shirt sales, season ticket and match day tickets, buses to the stadium, radio rights, sponsor rights, transfers, players wages (sidwell for example)..... the list goes on.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Aug 2006 12:07

bobby1413 They are blatantly leeching every pound from every source. Car parking during matches, alcaholo sales, hot dog sales, prices of programmes, shirt sales, season ticket and match day tickets, buses to the stadium, radio rights, sponsor rights, transfers, players wages (sidwell for example)..... the list goes on.

So does prettu much every football club out there. They need to in order to survive.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 01 Aug 2006 12:20

Welcome to the Premier League - not designed for fans who attend matches, it's basically there as a large-scale money-making exercise, and as such brings out the worst in everybody.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 01 Aug 2006 13:05

Wycombe Royal
bobby1413 They are blatantly leeching every pound from every source. Car parking during matches, alcaholo sales, hot dog sales, prices of programmes, shirt sales, season ticket and match day tickets, buses to the stadium, radio rights, sponsor rights, transfers, players wages (sidwell for example)..... the list goes on.

So does prettu much every football club out there. They need to in order to survive.

Yep. Not disagreeing there.

Mr Irascible

by Mr Irascible » 01 Aug 2006 16:58

Why not? If we just post our agreement then the forum will die...come on, get arguing!

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 16 Aug 2006 12:13

Easy Radio Berkshire, mainly for their coverage before and after games. Its a real shame its not online as I'd much rather hear them than Reading 107.