Expanding the Mad Stat

135 posts
Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 21 Sep 2006 20:36

It does appear to be thus contingent. I thought I had heard a Nigel Howe interview in which the plan was for a second tier to the East and extension of the single tiers N and S. These two expansions could be done independently of each other.

As an interesting aside, crowds are down sufficiently elsewhere that we stand a decent chance of having the 14th highest average in the country. We're currently 16th, but could well pass Charlton and Norwich if their gates shrink a bit. On the other hand, we're likely to be passed by Southampton if they make a decent run at promotion.

Bill Oddie
Location: By the bamboo bush in the central reservation on the M4

by Bill Oddie » 21 Sep 2006 21:55

Great idea, always better to have over capacity than not enough. I remember when we were building the Mad Stad and plenty of people were moaning that it was too big and we would never fill it. You get the infastructure right and fingers crossed the rest should follow. Reading built a 25k ground and Oxford 15K, the two clubs couldn't be further apart now, it's also a reason why the Red Filth are floating around the second division. Building a decent stadium with a large capacity WILL set the size of your club for the next 100 years.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 21 Sep 2006 23:12

If they do expand it will there also be an expansion in facilities, particularly catering which is still a huge joke

Coppelloadofthat
Location: You can do better than me, but I can't do better than you.

by Coppelloadofthat » 21 Sep 2006 23:18

Apparently the planning submission includes provision for an extra 3 inches on a hot dog, king-size pies and beer by the litre

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 21 Sep 2006 23:23

Yeah, thanks, I didn't know how contingent the re-development was on us staying up.

Maybe in an ideal world, it would be, but then I got to thinking about all the planning that must be involved, the building and construction plans/contracts/commitments, etc.

I mean, in Apr/May, with all the re-development wheels in motion, if we go down would they be able to do a U-turn and pull the plug on everything? :(

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 22 Sep 2006 00:34

Coppelloadofthat Apparently the planning submission includes provision for an extra 3 inches on a hot dog, king-size pies and beer by the litre

yes but the price will double

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 22 Sep 2006 01:14

Denver Royal Yeah, thanks, I didn't know how contingent the re-development was on us staying up.

Maybe in an ideal world, it would be, but then I got to thinking about all the planning that must be involved, the building and construction plans/contracts/commitments, etc.

I mean, in Apr/May, with all the re-development wheels in motion, if we go down would they be able to do a U-turn and pull the plug on everything? :(

Valuable point. But, We can afford to increase the ground as we have spent nothing on the team, we got in excess of 20 million for being promoted along with a hell of a lot of other income.
Its viable to the business. To move forward we NEED to give more suporters a chance to see us.
We stand to loose little and gain a lot if we go through with it, its 10-15 million we will never need to spend again, and at the current financial siutation at RFC we can afford it. If we get relegated, drop the prices significantly, give away fans a bigger allocation, and we should still get some decent crowds. Its worth the risk IMO.

Dai Brainbocs
Hob Nob Regular

by Dai Brainbocs » 22 Sep 2006 07:55

How big a capacity would be required to host games in the 2012 Olympics?

Rob-Royal

by Rob-Royal » 22 Sep 2006 08:50

Dai Brainbocs How big a capacity would be required to host games in the 2012 Olympics?

That's a good question to which I am not entirely sure. I seem to recall RFC putting themselves forward as a potential venue and it being turned down, may well be wrong on this.

Also, wouldn't the bid submitted last year to the IOC already have all the venues in place as part of that bid...? Meaning we can assume that The Mad is not part of that....?

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 22 Sep 2006 10:46

Rob-Royal
Dai Brainbocs How big a capacity would be required to host games in the 2012 Olympics?

That's a good question to which I am not entirely sure. I seem to recall RFC putting themselves forward as a potential venue and it being turned down, may well be wrong on this.

Also, wouldn't the bid submitted last year to the IOC already have all the venues in place as part of that bid...? Meaning we can assume that The Mad is not part of that....?

International football games is another option of course and I believe you need a capacity over 30,000 for this (hence why the game against Belarus was a 'B' international)

Harps stay sharp

by Harps stay sharp » 22 Sep 2006 11:59

I have heard that the South will be first to be expanded as there are no season ticket holders there. Then the North Stand STH will occupy the South while work takes place on the North stand, then the east will be last as the STH in the East can occupy the North & South extensions while the work takes place.

Seems sensible.

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 22 Sep 2006 12:23

Harps stay sharp I have heard that the South will be first to be expanded as there are no season ticket holders there. Then the North Stand STH will occupy the South while work takes place on the North stand, then the east will be last as the STH in the East can occupy the North & South extensions while the work takes place.

Seems sensible.

Seems like a logistical nightmare, given the performance of our ticket office.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 22 Sep 2006 12:42

Hence the recent management departures? :P

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 22 Sep 2006 20:20

Silver Fox
Wycombe Royal I just hope they also have a plan with regards to how they will get all the additional cars to and from the stadium and where to park them.

2 words

Monorail

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5370564.stm

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 24 Sep 2006 00:57

Motty mentioned in his commentary that hew spoke with John Madejski before kick off this fine evening and was told that depending on Premiership survival, they plan to increase to 38,000.
I know the press reported that we would hope to increase by 10,000 minimum, but it seems this is the intention of the club, and that really is quite ambitious!

I still think that we will struggle to fill that, and would rather see us develop maybe the East Stand first and see how we handle filling a 30,000 ish capacity first.

That will look absolutely massive though! 8)

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 24 Sep 2006 00:59

It won't look that big to be honest. Highbury was 38,000 and it didn't look much bigger than the mad stad,IMO.

We keep expanding and growing at the rate we are, we will have no problem filling it, especially for big games.

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 24 Sep 2006 01:11

FiNeRaIn It won't look that big to be honest. Highbury was 38,000 and it didn't look much bigger than the mad stad,IMO.

You say that, yet if we build with the same seating plan i.e so much space between rows rather than pack 'em in, then those stands will be very tall and steep! It will appear far larger than the 38,000 capacity that it could be.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 24 Sep 2006 08:55

JC If they do expand it will there also be an expansion in facilities, particularly catering which is still a huge joke

would that be the outside catering, which before the game, an hour to kick off had no queues whatsoever behind the North Stand?

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 24 Sep 2006 08:58

Reading Abbey
FiNeRaIn It won't look that big to be honest. Highbury was 38,000 and it didn't look much bigger than the mad stad,IMO.

You say that, yet if we build with the same seating plan i.e so much space between rows rather than pack 'em in, then those stands will be very tall and steep! It will appear far larger than the 38,000 capacity that it could be.

Correct. Pride Park and the Walkers Stadium aren't any bigger that the Mad, but have far more seats because they pack the rows closer together.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Sep 2006 14:15

Multi story car parks should be on the agenda too, like the ones at cannons gym and HP.

Parking revenue will pay for it in time, especially if used during the week for park and ride.

Congestion could/will be a problem

135 posts