Stand Up/Sit Down Campaign

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 20 Aug 2004 10:30

Personally, I'm a big advocate of standing wherever possible. There's no substitute - here's hoping we draw the Spirites or Minstermen in a cup comp, even the Gills have succumbed.

I've said so many times, but I cannot see a single argument against allowing standing areas in modern grounds. Why can't we just take out a batch of seating - say front part of North Stand.

(Slumming it in piss-puddles under rusty tin is irrelevant to the fact of standing - no-one wants a return to those conditions.)

ruprecht

by ruprecht » 20 Aug 2004 10:59

I'd love to have terracing back but can't see it happeneing either. It can be fairly dangerous at times but pretty much everyone who went into the South Bank knew the dangers. To get a standing section at the Mad Stad I for one wouldn't mind signing a disclaimer saying Reading FC would take no responsibility for any injuries sustained at a football match and if anything did happen then tough sh*t. A bit like when you go Go-karting. With todays claim culture though I really can't see the club doing this.

However those people that are opposed to getting standing areas back then you don't really have a leg to stand on when complaining about lack of atmosphere. The two go hand in hand. FACT.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 20 Aug 2004 12:16

ruprecht I'd love to have terracing back but can't see it happeneing either. It can be fairly dangerous at times but pretty much everyone who went into the South Bank knew the dangers. To get a standing section at the Mad Stad I for one wouldn't mind signing a disclaimer saying Reading FC would take no responsibility for any injuries sustained at a football match and if anything did happen then tough sh*t. A bit like when you go Go-karting. With todays claim culture though I really can't see the club doing this.

However those people that are opposed to getting standing areas back then you don't really have a leg to stand on when complaining about lack of atmosphere. The two go hand in hand. FACT.

It wouldn't work (the disclaimer) because you can't abrogate yourself of responsibfor your own negligence. If there was a riot, or justs minor crowd problem that resulted in injury the club might be deemed negligent in not having stewarded it better. RFC features in a well known case that changed the way the law looks at this type of liability, when one of the Bristol teams came (City I think) and their fans started breaking lumps of concrete off the terracing and hurling them at the South Bank. A Reading fan sued the club for negligence because the club was responsible for maintaining the concrete so that it could not be thus misused. RFC lost and had to pay up.

wehateswindon

by wehateswindon » 22 Mar 2005 18:45

Stewards are either too strict or too lenient at games, depending on which end theyre in as well.
I went to the Forest game in November(my first Royals game, admittedly I've only been to 2) and the stewards kept telling the people in front of us to sit down, even though they werent standing for the whole match and they werent bothering us anyway. Not to mention that all the Forest fans in the stand next to us were standing the entire game, without being told to sit down.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 22 Mar 2005 23:48

West Stand Man
ruprecht I'd love to have terracing back but can't see it happeneing either. It can be fairly dangerous at times but pretty much everyone who went into the South Bank knew the dangers. To get a standing section at the Mad Stad I for one wouldn't mind signing a disclaimer saying Reading FC would take no responsibility for any injuries sustained at a football match and if anything did happen then tough sh*t. A bit like when you go Go-karting. With todays claim culture though I really can't see the club doing this.

It wouldn't work (the disclaimer) because you can't abrogate yourself of responsibfor your own negligence. If there was a riot, or justs minor crowd problem that resulted in injury the club might be deemed negligent in not having stewarded it better. RFC features in a well known case that changed the way the law looks at this type of liability, when one of the Bristol teams came (City I think) and their fans started breaking lumps of concrete off the terracing and hurling them at the South Bank. A Reading fan sued the club for negligence because the club was responsible for maintaining the concrete so that it could not be thus misused. RFC lost and had to pay up.

I think it was a member of the TVP who sued the club, not a fan.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 23 Mar 2005 00:14

If standing was such an issue in the Premier League you would see sanctions, funnily enough none of the clubs that have large standing sections want to punish their own. If Reading had a large hardcore of ans in one area, then it would be feasible that the stewards nor club could do anything about it. I am talking about a good few thousand here as well, alas it shall never happen.

Pin The Tail on the Goat

by Pin The Tail on the Goat » 23 Mar 2005 13:40

You're not asking the right questions - predictably, because they would undermine your campaign.

You should be asking "should you be allowed to stand in areas designed for safe standing?" and "should you be allowed to stand in areas hich were designed for seating only?"

The answer to the first has got to be "Yes", and the answer to the second has surely got to be "No" - standing in areas designed for sitting has surely got to be a lot less safe than either standing in properly-designed standing areas or sitting in areas designed for sitting.

wehateswindon

by wehateswindon » 23 Mar 2005 16:09

Yeah, I think the fact that there are no standing areas is the main issue.

havoc

Re: Stand Up/Sit Down Campaign

by havoc » 15 Jul 2010 14:42

:|

Bill Oddie
Location: By the bamboo bush in the central reservation on the M4

by Bill Oddie » 15 Jul 2010 20:41

Torquay here we come :lol:

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict