Re: Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

by Winston Biscuit » 30 Nov 2022 21:26

Zip
Winston Biscuit Netherlands Vs USA
Argentina Vs Australia
England Vs Senegal (ICH)
France Vs Poland

I think you missed off Wales :(

They would have had Netherlands too which was at least a winable-ish tie.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Nov 2022 21:30

Winston Biscuit
Zip
Winston Biscuit Netherlands Vs USA
Argentina Vs Australia
England Vs Senegal (ICH)
France Vs Poland

I think you missed off Wales :(

They would have had Netherlands too which was at least a winable-ish tie.

No chance. We would have been pasted. They should beat the US.
Argentina are right back in this tournament now

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Nov 2022 22:05

windermereROYAL Gutted for Mexico, they would surely have given France a better game

Bit of revisionism here

Mexico were just as poor as Poland were against Argentina. Both created very little with no intention to attack (4 shots from both Mexico and Poland)

Two very similar teams who could only be split by the number of yellow cards (discounting Saudi’s late consolation as Mexico had oiled men forward to score)

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 30 Nov 2022 22:07

URZZZZ
windermereROYAL Gutted for Mexico, they would surely have given France a better game

Bit of revisionism here

Mexico were just as poor as Poland were against Argentina. Both created very little with no intention to attack (4 shots from both Mexico and Poland)

Two very similar teams who could only be split by the number of yellow cards (discounting Saudi’s late consolation as Mexico had oiled men forward to score)

Accidentally revealing your Google search history?

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 30 Nov 2022 22:51

Fantastic last moments. Last group games kicking off at same time scenes make for compelling viewing but the FIFA maifioso totally shit all over this perfect setup (thanks Germany and Austria circa 1982) by introducing 16 groups of three for a 48-team World Cup in 2026. Cu nts.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 01 Dec 2022 07:20

URZZZZ

Bit of revisionism here

Mexico had 26 shots 11 on target not sure where you got that from.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 01 Dec 2022 07:58

Against Argentina?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Dec 2022 08:00

windermereROYAL
URZZZZ

Bit of revisionism here

Mexico had 26 shots 11 on target not sure where you got that from.

Mexico were superb and very unlucky whereas the Poles did nothing at all managing 4 off target shots and 1 in total. Based on that France could field a ‘Z’ team and still win comfortably though we’ll all wish for a miracle.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Dec 2022 08:14

Silver Fox Against Argentina?

Mexico at least managed an on target shot v Argentina and twice as many corners. Interestingly the Poles weren’t particularly much cop v Saudi either with only 3 on target shots. For the record Saudi mustered 5 on target and almost twice as many in total as Poland (16 v 9).

Overall just goes to show both Mexico and Poland must have decided before kick off they were no match for Argentina and adopted a Southgatesque game plan in an effort to nick something against the run of play.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 01 Dec 2022 08:43

South Coast Royal
paultheroyal England were brilliant last night i thought. I actually thought they were decent in the first half. Totally dictated that half, just lacked the cutting edge, pass etc.

Tweak in the second half and they were utterly dominant. Fantastic display.

As for Wales, utterly dreadful. What were they thinking? They clearly wrote off the 4-0 win before the game so tactic was to frustrate and score late and panic England in the hope that Iran vs USA was a draw. They thought that was the more likely outcome. Would of been hilarious if Iran did equalise and oh boy did they have some chances. Wales devoid of idea, attacking play, could not even string any passes together. It was very strange. Page saying how proud he was of that performance, dreary me.

Anyway, onto the next one, tournament football at its best.

"Brilliant", "fantastic?".

A bit of perspective perhaps playing against a side that contrived to lose to Iran.
It was a bit like Liverpool or City lining up against Reading or Rotherham-the gulf in quality of player was enormous.

I take the point that you can only beat what's in front of you and all that but IMHO there was nothing "brilliant" or "fantastic" beating what was at times just a 9 man team and the rest mainly of non Premier League standard with 2 Bournemouth and 2 Forest players :wink: amongst their numbers.

it was a brilliant performance - how can you not see past that? Time and time again in games against home nations, form and ability goes out the window. England done a brilliant job on them and that should be applauded. Perspective not needed.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Dec 2022 08:48

I wasn't overly impressed with either Poland or Mexico in any games I've watched (granted I didn't see last night's games) although I expected one of them to qualify from the group pre-tournament. I couldn't imagine either of them being much cop against France if they turn the style on against them.

Having some Polish in my family, personally quite happy and think many of them are happy that they've just qualified from the group to be honest.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Dec 2022 09:03

URZZZZ

Bit of revisionism here

So not split by the number of cards then :roll:

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 01 Dec 2022 09:06

Poland were awful last night considering they needed a point to guarantee getting through. Switched over to watch the Mexico game after they got their second and they absolutely battered Saudi. Think Saudi only got out of their half a couple of times when I was watching a scored from one of them. If Mexico had played like that against Poland they'd have beaten them easily.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Dec 2022 09:52

6ft Kerplunk Poland were awful last night considering they needed a point to guarantee getting through. Switched over to watch the Mexico game after they got their second and they absolutely battered Saudi. Think Saudi only got out of their half a couple of times when I was watching a scored from one of them. If Mexico had played like that against Poland they'd have beaten them easily.

Agreed. I switched over to the Mexico game and was rooting for them to score the third. They didn’t have a lot of luck. Poland were ultra negative. Even at 2 nil down.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 01 Dec 2022 09:56

paultheroyal
South Coast Royal
paultheroyal England were brilliant last night i thought. I actually thought they were decent in the first half. Totally dictated that half, just lacked the cutting edge, pass etc.

Tweak in the second half and they were utterly dominant. Fantastic display.

As for Wales, utterly dreadful. What were they thinking? They clearly wrote off the 4-0 win before the game so tactic was to frustrate and score late and panic England in the hope that Iran vs USA was a draw. They thought that was the more likely outcome. Would of been hilarious if Iran did equalise and oh boy did they have some chances. Wales devoid of idea, attacking play, could not even string any passes together. It was very strange. Page saying how proud he was of that performance, dreary me.

Anyway, onto the next one, tournament football at its best.

A bit of perspective perhaps playing against a side that contrived to lose to Iran.
It was a bit like Liverpool or City lining up against Reading or Rotherham-the gulf in quality of player was enormous.

I take the point that you can only beat what's in front of you and all that but IMHO there was nothing "brilliant" or "fantastic" beating what was at times just a 9 man team and the rest mainly of non Premier League standard with 2 Bournemouth and 2 Forest players :wink: amongst their numbers.

it was a brilliant performance - how can you not see past that? Time and time again in games against home nations, form and ability goes out the window. England done a brilliant job on them and that should be applauded. Perspective not needed.

I rather think that your bar is set much lower than mine when it comes to "brilliant" or "fantastic".
Beating a team easily that only plays the old people's game of walking football doesn't qualify for those superlatives in my book but each to their own and all that.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Dec 2022 10:02

Zip
6ft Kerplunk Poland were awful last night considering they needed a point to guarantee getting through. Switched over to watch the Mexico game after they got their second and they absolutely battered Saudi. Think Saudi only got out of their half a couple of times when I was watching a scored from one of them. If Mexico had played like that against Poland they'd have beaten them easily.

Agreed. I switched over to the Mexico game and was rooting for them to score the third. They didn’t have a lot of luck. Poland were ultra negative. Even at 2 nil down.

That is a consequence of the situation though. When you are 2-0 down and know in the other game your direct rivals are 2-0 up, you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. You push forward for a goal, leave more gaps and suddenly you are 3 down and going out - conversely if Mexico score a 3rd then it will be tough to suddenly get into an attacking mindset to try and nick the goal you now need.

In the end, it worked and Poland get to play one more game before going home unless something quite unexpected happens on Sunday.

For tie breaks, I'm all in favour of swapping out a disciplinary tie break for a shots on target break (or something similar) - guess that is open to a form of abuse by teams just firing tame shots on goal from 35 yards out to rack up their total - maybe result against the 4th placed team. Shame there isn't scope to stick in a play-off when teams can't be separated by GD, goals or H2H.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Dec 2022 10:08

South Coast Royal
paultheroyal
South Coast Royal

I rather think that your bar is set much lower than mine when it comes to "brilliant" or "fantastic".
Beating a team easily that only plays the old people's game of walking football doesn't qualify for those superlatives in my book but each to their own and all that.

The best term is professional. Wales were not given a sniff and England picked them off whilst conserving energy for the knock-out rounds. So whilst I don't think it was brilliant in the terms I think you are getting at SCR - in the context of a tournament and the status of the group at that time, it was.

2186 posts