England - the future....

3599 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: England - the future....

by Sanguine » 30 Jun 2021 08:35

Oh, and. Brilliant from England and from Southgate. Turned up with a plan, executed it. Defence was exceptional (their one big chance was Sterling's assist). Shaw was excellent going forward. And the midfield, Rice in particular, grew into the game.

And I really don't care if people were entertained. Or inspired. Players like Beckham and Scholes and Gerrard inspired awe for their abilities, but they didn't win matches.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jun 2021 08:41

Royal Rother
Hendo
Royal Rother Can’t say I enjoyed the performance much but it worked so fair play to Southgate.

There has to be something wrong with Kane, he was awful again.

There must be a story behind Calvert Lewin’s absence. Made zero sense to leave him out when your main striker is so obviously struggling. I mean we had 2 keepers on the bench, 2 CDs but no back up striker - discounting Rashford there I know but he isn’t really a striker any more is he?

If we are going to get to the final I’d like to see us do it with a bit of style and swagger - I think we have the players to do that but the team Southgate seems to prefer isn’t capable of doing that. But of course, zero goals conceded is what it’s all being built on and that is very impressive.

Walker was excellent defensively but exasperated me by going backwards so often when in the opposition’s half.

Pickford has been a revelation this tournament - looks like a top keeper now. Very pleased for him after all the negativity that has come his way in the last couple of years.

Sterling was ok - pretty decent in patches, just wish he’d drive forward more often; things happen when he pushes through the middle. The shot of him after Mueller missed that opportunity made me a tiny bit emotional. The relief...!!

Grealish assisted one and had a big hand in the other by quickly moving the ball on to Shaw. Personally I think he can do that for 90 mins, not just 20 or 30, but if the formula works I suppose Southgate will keep doing it.

Great result, pretty solid performance, but hardly inspiring - and really Germany were very poor. After their game v Portugal I thought they were going to really push on but thankfully that was the flash in the pan.

Onwards and upwards? Let’s hope so.

I hate to nitpick (ah who am I kidding, I oxf*rd love it) but on the 2 GKs on the bench, it’s a UEFA rule every team has to have 2 ‘keepers on the bench.

I did not know that.

Why? What’s it got to do with UEFA?

It's their ball, tournament and game?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 30 Jun 2021 08:44

Snowflake Royal Is Southgate the first England manager to make two QFs?

Sven - QF 2002, QF 2004, QF 2006

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 30 Jun 2021 08:47

windermereROYAL How was Friar street tonight?

Chock full of bellends as far as I could tell from the bus

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 30 Jun 2021 08:49

Silver Fox
windermereROYAL How was Friar street tonight?

Chock full of bellends as far as I could tell from the bus

Probably a reasonable shout and I wasn't on the bus

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 30 Jun 2021 08:51

I'd forgotten it was going to be a thing right up until turning past Wendy's

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Jun 2021 08:53

I've been waiting for the bellend revisionism from "England will lose to the first decent team they play" to "This Germany team aren't very good anyway", but so far I haven't seen it. Maybe people are accepting that we have a good team led by a good manager.

I see no reason why we shouldn't make the final. This team know how to manage games and get results, so I don't fear an upset (though hopefully the players are not as complacent as me).

Then if you have Belgium, Spain or Italy in the final, it's just one game with home advantage. We can do this.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Jun 2021 08:54

Also, if we do it and the whole squad get honours, will anyone be able to say Aaron Ramsdale MBE with a straight face?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Jun 2021 08:56

WestYorksRoyal I've been waiting for the bellend revisionism from "England will lose to the first decent team they play" to "This Germany team aren't very good anyway", but so far I haven't seen it. Maybe people are accepting that we have a good team led by a good manager.

I see no reason why we shouldn't make the final. This team know how to manage games and get results, so I don't fear an upset (though hopefully the players are not as complacent as me).

Then if you have Belgium, Spain or Italy in the final, it's just one game with home advantage. We can do this.

I'd stay away from any comments section on any twitter post about the game last night... chock full of oxf*rd morons saying this type of thing.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jun 2021 09:28

Winston Biscuit

Cheers!

Criminal we didn't at least make a semi with those players.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 30 Jun 2021 09:32

Snowflake Royal
Winston Biscuit

Cheers!

Criminal we didn't at least make a semi with those players.

Yeah I think Sven's efforts were generally decent but he will forever be judged against the backdrop of 'the golden generation' which failed to live up to the hype

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 Jun 2021 09:36

I quite like Sven, think he is a largely decent bloke. He was the wrong manager for those players though, we needed a manager with a bigger ego than them. I get the feeling the players ran that dressing room, not Sven. It has come out recently how the big names all didn't get on and it is clear we needed a strict policeman type character in there to manage them.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 30 Jun 2021 09:44

NathStPaul I quite like Sven, think he is a largely decent bloke. He was the wrong manager for those players though, we needed a manager with a bigger ego than them. I get the feeling the players ran that dressing room, not Sven. It has come out recently how the big names all didn't get on and it is clear we needed a strict policeman type character in there to manage them.

only heard the story recently of Sven at City where they are away for a few days training and at 10 in the morning Sven comes down to the poolside with a bottle of chilled champagne and 2 glasses, handing one to Didi Hamman. Hamman asks what they are celebrating and Sven says 'we are celebrating life' :lol:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Jun 2021 10:00

Shaky first 10 minutes but we generally controlled it after that without creating too many chances

Whilst I’m still going to maintain dropping Mings was harsh, Maguire has been superb since his return. Drives forward with the ball more than other CB and is always a threat from set pieces. Stones is doing his job quietly but very effectively, the transformation in his game this season has been superb

Sterling and Saka were a threat and the decision to play Sterling this Euros has been a masterstroke, not sure more than 5/10% of England fans would have done so. I guess that’s the irony of being a football supporter though, thinking we know more than the professionals, most are guilty of it!

Still do think we’re overly cautious, the point in the first half where Walker had acres of space to cross and didn’t was particularly frustrating. But can fully accept that it’s part of the overall game plan (I.e not become susceptible to counter attacks, perhaps the intention from the Germans with Werner up top). And on top of that, we’re winning and we’re not conceding, so you can’t argue against that

Big chance to reach the final now - obviously need to avoid being complacent though

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 Jun 2021 10:29

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Jun 2021 10:37

Some very disgusting tweets about the little German girl filmed crying near the end, F*cking hell have we really come to this?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 30 Jun 2021 10:38

windermereROYAL Some very disgusting tweets about the little German filmed crying near the end, F*cking hell have we really come to this?

We have never not been at this

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 Jun 2021 10:41

windermereROYAL Some very disgusting tweets about the little German girl filmed crying near the end, F*cking hell have we really come to this?

What were you hoping for exactly?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Jun 2021 10:43

Quite enjoying Rob Beckett's vibe here

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Jun 2021 10:47

genome

Quite enjoying Rob Beckett's vibe here

If you were to describe how the typical England supporter looked, I think that would be it.

3599 posts