3559 posts
Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

Re: England - the future....

by Conservative_dad » 14 Nov 2022 23:26

Franchise FC
Winston Biscuit Maddison off injured

I like Maddison but at best he’s 4th choice in that sort of role

Feel for him, if he’s out of the squad, but I don’t think it’ll make too much difference to how we play or fare

exactly...

GS just caved to the pressure

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Nov 2022 21:58

Rumours that Fabio Carvalho has turned down continuing to play for Portugal after electing to drop out of their u20 squads. Wondering if this move may reopen doors to return to the England set up at some point after representing them at u16, u17 and u18 levels.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 16 Nov 2022 09:25

Sutekh Rumours that Fabio Carvalho has turned down continuing to play for Portugal after electing to drop out of their u20 squads. Wondering if this move may reopen doors to return to the England set up at some point after representing them at u16, u17 and u18 levels.

Probably to concentrate on white ball …… oh, sorry wrong sport

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Nov 2022 11:42

Sutekh Rumours that Fabio Carvalho has turned down continuing to play for Portugal after electing to drop out of their u20 squads. Wondering if this move may reopen doors to return to the England set up at some point after representing them at u16, u17 and u18 levels.

Crikey, this would be some coup, he is going to be one hell of a player. The lad talks like a Londoner, has lived in England since he was 11. Will see - this might just be initial disappointment at missing out on Portugal's World Cup squad, having been named in the initial wider group.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 16 Nov 2022 12:36

Franchise FC

Probably to concentrate on white ball …… oh, sorry wrong sport

:lol:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Nov 2022 23:01

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63653384

Ivan Toney: Brentford striker charged by FA with 232 breaches of betting rules

And this is exactly why he wasn’t included in the squad. Rumours have been rife for weeks.

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 17 Nov 2022 00:48

Hendo https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63653384

And this is exactly why he wasn’t included in the squad. Rumours have been rife for weeks.

Lol...imagine if he missed in a penalty shootout final and then this came out

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Nov 2022 07:46

Conservative_dad

Fully agree he shouldn’t have been included in the squad. If proven, what utterly stupid things to do. Maybe could understand a breach of the rule by a player here and there but 232 alleged breaches is going it a bit.

And there are precedents in this offence with other players too so, if these are proven, then would presume Brentford will lose his services for about 2 months or so. Hope he gets his head down after this and keeps form enough to make the Euros.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Nov 2022 10:21

Sutekh
Conservative_dad

Fully agree he shouldn’t have been included in the squad. If proven, what utterly stupid things to do. Maybe could understand a breach of the rule by a player here and there but 232 alleged breaches is going it a bit.

And there are precedents in this offence with other players too so, if these are proven, then would presume Brentford will lose his services for about 2 months or so. Hope he gets his head down after this and keeps form enough to make the Euros.

Yeah, 2 month ban would seem about right if proven. Joey Barton got a 10 month ban for about 1,000 instances, if I remember correctly?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Nov 2022 11:30

Do we know how much he was staking?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Nov 2022 11:58

I guess we'll find out eventually - however I can't imagine its the odd fiver here and there.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Nov 2022 12:45

Hendo I guess we'll find out eventually - however I can't imagine its the odd fiver here and there.

FWIW Joey Barton's average stake was £150

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 17 Nov 2022 12:54

Our lads getting in the spirit of things!
https://twitter.com/FBAwayDays/status/1593139336404676608

ICH!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Nov 2022 13:49

Royal Rother
Hendo I guess we'll find out eventually - however I can't imagine its the odd fiver here and there.

Nearly £200,000 in total though, which is not an insignificant thing and if we apply the same average to Toney, it adds up to nearly £35k.

It doesn't really matter about the amount though, its against the rules whether its a fiver or 5k.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Nov 2022 15:01

Hendo
Royal Rother

Nearly £200,000 in total though, which is not an insignificant thing and if we apply the same average to Toney, it adds up to nearly £35k.

It doesn't really matter about the amount though, its against the rules whether its a fiver or 5k.

Of course, but you suggested 2 month ban (comparing to Barton's punishment). I was just wondering whether Toney's stakes were in same range to make that comparison a reasonable one to make.

That said though, Barton did bet on his own team to lose which is about as serious as it gets - guess we'll find out in due course what Toney's bets were on and the size of them.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Nov 2022 15:30

Royal Rother
Hendo
Royal Rother

Of course, but you suggested 2 month ban (comparing to Barton's punishment). I was just wondering whether Toney's stakes were in same range to make that comparison a reasonable one to make.

That said though, Barton did bet on his own team to lose which is about as serious as it gets - guess we'll find out in due course what Toney's bets were on and the size of them.

For sure, I only suggested 2 months as Barton got 10 for 1,000 (didn't realise it was quite as many as 1,200 though) instances and as Toney is accused of ~200, I just extrapolated :)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Nov 2022 14:50

So then, what’s expectation on the Iran game then? I’m expecting an Iranian team that sits deep and parks the proverbial bus denying pretty much any space in the final third. Going to therefore be really frustrating as England are going to have to figure out a way through therefore GS should largely pick a team of creativity and players that are good at winning free kicks around the box (e.g. Grealish). Therefore think he should be going with 4 at the back but they all need to be prepared for the classic counter attacking breakaway…

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 20 Nov 2022 14:58

Sutekh So then, what’s expectation on the Iran game then? I’m expecting an Iranian team that sits deep and parks the proverbial bus denying pretty much any space in the final third. Going to therefore be really frustrating as England are going to have to figure out a way through therefore GS should largely pick a team of creativity and players that are good at winning free kicks around the box (e.g. Grealish). Therefore think he should be going with 4 at the back but they all need to be prepared for the classic counter attacking breakaway…

no chance, GS is going five at the back and two sitting midfielders (who could play in defense)

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 21 Nov 2022 10:24

Apparently back four is predicted

With Bellingham now in midfield

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 21 Nov 2022 10:32

bcubed Apparently back four is predicted

With Bellingham now in midfield

Until we go one up then revert to 7 at the back (Rice & Bellingham as holdings but essentially in the back line)

3559 posts