Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: England - the future....

by Franchise FC » 21 Nov 2022 19:52

Royal Rother
Brogue
Hendo
:mrgreen:

first stokes now sterling, have ever thought about hanging up your keyboard RR i don't think sport is for you

:lol:

Sterling was prettty poor really wasn't he? Lovely finish though, credit Kane for laying it on a plate but granted, he's quite reliable from 6 yards out, but even Grealish got one of those today.

I keep hoping Joao will do something for RFC, but doesn't seem like my tactics are working on him. I'll keep trying in the New Year, promise.

If only Sterling was reliable from 6 yards

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 22 Nov 2022 08:14

Winston Biscuit Our lads getting in the spirit of things!
https://twitter.com/FBAwayDays/status/1593139336404676608

ICH!

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 29 Nov 2022 21:19

sputnik
Winston Biscuit Our lads getting in the spirit of things!
https://twitter.com/FBAwayDays/status/1593139336404676608

ICH!

That is superb (needs sound)

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 30 Nov 2022 20:15

Ben White has left the squad and gone home for personal reasons

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Dec 2022 09:57

Rumours emerging after the utter mess of FIFA’s Qatar World Cup that Denmark are talking with England and some of the other European FAs about taking legal action against the organisation and maybe even quitting the set up altogether and creating a new body free of the tarnished image.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 06 Dec 2022 11:11

Sutekh Rumours emerging after the utter mess of FIFA’s Qatar World Cup that Denmark are talking with England and some of the other European FAs about taking legal action against the organisation and maybe even quitting the set up altogether and creating a new body free of the tarnished image.

Would love this to be true

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Dec 2022 15:00

bcubed
Sutekh Rumours emerging after the utter mess of FIFA’s Qatar World Cup that Denmark are talking with England and some of the other European FAs about taking legal action against the organisation and maybe even quitting the set up altogether and creating a new body free of the tarnished image.

Would love this to be true

Hell yeah.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 18 Dec 2022 11:01

So Southgate is staying....

Till 2024 at least.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 18 Dec 2022 11:32

bcubed So Southgate is staying....

Till 2024 at least.

Don't think it's a good choice

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Dec 2022 11:44

Loafer
bcubed So Southgate is staying....

Till 2024 at least.

Don't think it's a good choice

Well in lieu of Eddie Howe or Graham Potter (the only serious challengers for the job currently, who are both too new in their club roles currently) he's probably the best there is and the least England have been in tournaments is decent under him, even if it is the same age old issue of England going out to the first really decent opposition they meet.

Bar is raised though, if England fail to get, at the very least, a QF finish at Euro 24 then it's time for him to go and by then hopefully Graham or Eddie will have done some decent things at club level and be ready for the England call.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 18 Dec 2022 19:52

LOL. Yeh read under we're gonna protest about LGBT etc. When push comes to shove they know which side their bread is buttered.

Don't get me wrong I think FIFA is a shambles but our FA are complicit in it, as are every other FA.

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 18 Dec 2022 20:28

Green

LOL. Yeh read under we're gonna protest about LGBT etc. When push comes to shove they know which side their bread is buttered.

Don't get me wrong I think FIFA is a shambles but our FA are complicit in it, as are every other FA.

Never thought to see the stick to sports crowd winning out the soccer World Cup. Maybe there’s hope for nascar championship being a lgbtqii event ? Living in a toppsy turvy world. The hard working journos giving so much attention to the Messi cum launderette, a proverbial fingers in ears moment

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 18 Dec 2022 20:31

Also it’s probably been discussed to death but why didn’t England do more to persuade haaland to play for England? Was he unknown at the time or just super committed to Norway? Sad we probably wont see him at a World Cup.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 19 Dec 2022 10:23

fartdad Also it’s probably been discussed to death but why didn’t England do more to persuade haaland to play for England? Was he unknown at the time or just super committed to Norway? Sad we probably wont see him at a World Cup.

They've got Spain and Scotland in their Euro 2024 qualifying* group, a fair chance we don't see him in any/many major tournaments at all.

*An absolute dick of a draw that has paired Netherlands with France, and Italy with England, whilst Hungary, Serbia, Denmark, Finland, Switzerland and Israel are the seeded sides in Groups G, H and I. :D

As for Haaland, whilst he was born here, he grew up in Norway, played for Byrne and Molde, and has been in Norway's youth sides since he was 14. He was never going to play for England.

Musiala is, in my view, the real 'loss', he was schooled here and he talks like a London lad, but it's the nature of multicultural Europe that young players have choices.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Dec 2022 10:36

fartdad Also it’s probably been discussed to death but why didn’t England do more to persuade haaland to play for England? Was he unknown at the time or just super committed to Norway? Sad we probably wont see him at a World Cup.

Completely committed to Norway which is brilliant for them. Great also to see a player who stands by his country (and Norway is his country given he has Norwegian parents and lived there from when he was 3) rather than jump to another just because it’s perceived to have more chance at stuff.

Norway should get to a World Cup finals again, particularly if the idiots at FIFA persist with 48 qualifiers (or more - and no doubt it’ll be 64 being mooted before long) at future tournaments. And while Norway maybe on a downturn in the last 20 years or so the fact remains that they are the only international team to have played against Brazil (4 times) and never been beaten by them (2 wins and 2 draws), the last of which was in a group match in the 1998 World Cup finals.

They may make the finals for Euro 2024, though grouped with Spain they’ll have a chance of being runners up with the likes of Georgia, Cyprus and a what can be a fairly erratic Scotland alongside them.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Dec 2022 10:49

Sanguine

They've got Spain and Scotland in their Euro 2024 qualifying* group, a fair chance we don't see him in any/many major tournaments at all.

*An absolute dick of a draw that has paired Netherlands with France, and Italy with England, whilst Hungary, Serbia, Denmark, Finland, Switzerland and Israel are the seeded sides in Groups G, H and I. :D

As for Haaland, whilst he was born here, he grew up in Norway, played for Byrne and Molde, and has been in Norway's youth sides since he was 14. He was never going to play for England.

Musiala is, in my view, the real 'loss', he was schooled here and he talks like a London lad, but it's the nature of multicultural Europe that young players have choices.

Agree, I do not get the stupidity of the seedings for the Euros. England are Euro 2020 runners up and are ranked 5 in the world, only behind France and the “dying” Belgians in Europe, yet weren’t considered worthy of being a top seed for the qualifying groups?

As regards Musiala, something changed with him in 2020/21 when he went from being “dedicated to England” as he was playing with players he knew and had grown up with to suddenly being “dedicated to Germany”. Can only presume he thinks Germany will win things and England will forever be also rans, although given the last 6 years Germany have been trailing rather behind England.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 19 Dec 2022 10:56

Sutekh
Agree, I do not get the stupidity of the seedings for the Euros. England are Euro 2020 runners up and are ranked 5 in the world, only behind France and the “dying” Belgians in Europe, yet weren’t considered worthy of being a top seed for the qualifying groups?

Draw is based only on the 2021-22 Nations League, and so our bottom placed finish automatically ranks us behind the likes of Hungary. It's a little silly, but I guess it adds meaning to the Nations League fixtures, which isn't a bad thing.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Dec 2022 11:01

Sanguine
Sutekh

Draw is based only on the 2021-22 Nations League, and so our bottom placed finish automatically ranks us behind the likes of Hungary. It's a little silly, but I guess it adds meaning to the Nations League fixtures, which isn't a bad thing.

Yes And one of several frustrating things about Southgate. His failure to take Nations League seriously is a huge error of judgement

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Dec 2022 11:02

Sanguine
Sutekh

Utterly ***** ludicrous, while it won’t make any difference to England qualifying I suppose it’s about typical of the way UEFA works in order to trump up the importance of a stupid competition.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 19 Dec 2022 11:18

bcubed
Sanguine
Sutekh

Yes And one of several frustrating things about Southgate. His failure to take Nations League seriously is a huge error of judgement

With no friendlies really in the calendar any more, there has to be some wiggle room for managers to try players or formations.

3567 posts