3567 posts
Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: England - the future....

by Simmops » 03 Sep 2021 15:15

boycey
Simmops
Zip
There is no doubt a scummy element to England’s support.

I mean we have the worst fans in football no question about it

:lol:
clueless

:|

How don't we? Literally the world hates our country because our fans are absolutely scum

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 03 Sep 2021 16:27

Simmops
boycey
Simmops I mean we have the worst fans in football no question about it

:lol:
clueless

:|

How don't we? Literally the world hates our country because our fans are absolutely scum

I don’t think their hatred is limited to football fan attitudes

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 04 Sep 2021 14:59

Bale trying to get England banned for racism :shock:

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Sep 2021 10:01

fartdad Bale trying to get England banned for racism :shock:

Where have you seen that ?

The only article I can find is about countries being excluded for demonstrating racism, not for being subject to it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58447519

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Sep 2021 19:54

These international qualifiers get ever more pointless as an England reserve side struggled past Andorra today, really should have pre-qualifying competition and reduce the number of these fixtures.

Not really criticising the fact it’s largely a reserve side (though disrespecting the opposition and tournament isn’t a good way to go despite it being common practice in domestic cups) more the fact it’s 3 games in less than a week - and not exactly well managed having to go to Eastern Europe twice either side of a game at Wembley.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 06 Sep 2021 17:06

Sutekh These international qualifiers get ever more pointless as an England reserve side struggled past Andorra today, really should have pre-qualifying competition and reduce the number of these fixtures.

Not really criticising the fact it’s largely a reserve side (though disrespecting the opposition and tournament isn’t a good way to go despite it being common practice in domestic cups) more the fact it’s 3 games in less than a week - and not exactly well managed having to go to Eastern Europe twice either side of a game at Wembley.

Other federations do pre-qualifying, but then they have a greater disparity between a small number of excellent sides, and a large amount of dross. Europe is different - the majority of countries fit into that 'middle' space where they aren't going to win a tournament, but can make a good case that they could qualify for one (especially with tournaments expanding).

So where Africa for example bins off 18 teams in its first round, and Asia rids itself of 30 through two rounds, pre-qualifying in Europe would basically be a way of getting the Faroes, Andorra and a handful of others to play-off for one spot. For me, I'd sooner these sides just got a chance to play against the better teams a handful of times.

Plus I can't support any change that removes the possibility of Ireland losing to Luxembourg.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 08 Sep 2021 20:50

This German ref looks out of his depth. Massive homer.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 09 Sep 2021 07:21

PieEater This German ref looks out of his depth. Massive homer.

Well they are long standing allies with Poland tbf

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Oct 2021 07:29

I know it was only Andorra but....

People used to cream themselves when Stevie Gerard hit a couple of long passes out to the wings (even though there’d be several more that flew over their heads into touch) but Phil Foden must have played at least 10 with pinpoint accuracy last night, many of which were into the penalty area. A decent striker getting on the end of those would have had a field day.

PS Where the hell was Bellingham? Surely he must have been injured?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Oct 2021 20:23

Royal Rother I know it was only Andorra but....

People used to cream themselves when Stevie Gerard hit a couple of long passes out to the wings (even though there’d be several more that flew over their heads into touch) but Phil Foden must have played at least 10 with pinpoint accuracy last night, many of which were into the penalty area. A decent striker getting on the end of those would have had a field day.

PS Where the hell was Bellingham? Surely he must have been injured?

England scored twice from Foden’s passes, so they did have a field day

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Oct 2021 17:54

I know Pep uses Foden out wide or as a false 9, but I'd love to see him get a deeper role and run matches. Scholes dropped deeper later in his career; I think Foden is capable of the same.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 12 Oct 2021 10:39

We do need to be building the team around him. Think he's more of a Gazza than Pirlo type of player at the moment though. You'd lose a lot of his game by playing him deeper at this stage of his career. His problem is trying to oust De Bruyne from that role at Man City at the moment.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 12 Oct 2021 16:38

I would love to see Foden in the 9, with Kane and Abraham upfront

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Oct 2021 18:41

6ft Kerplunk We do need to be building the team around him. Think he's more of a Gazza than Pirlo type of player at the moment though. You'd lose a lot of his game by playing him deeper at this stage of his career. His problem is trying to oust De Bruyne from that role at Man City at the moment.

Agreed he should be the linchpin. Mount and Grealish are also great talents who would get into most teams, but Foden is the pick and a generational talent.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Oct 2021 21:10

Jeez this is a struggle.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Oct 2021 21:39

WestYorksRoyal
6ft Kerplunk We do need to be building the team around him. Think he's more of a Gazza than Pirlo type of player at the moment though. You'd lose a lot of his game by playing him deeper at this stage of his career. His problem is trying to oust De Bruyne from that role at Man City at the moment.

Agreed he should be the linchpin. Mount and Grealish are also great talents who would get into most teams, but Foden is the pick and a generational talent.
I mean, he's been shit tonight hasn't he?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Oct 2021 21:52

Sterling and Kane did bugger all, Mount and Foden not a lot. Grealish was involved in everything threatening we did, kept the ball well.

No surprise who got subbed first.

I get it. Football’s a complicated game and Southgate’s just too smart for me.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Oct 2021 00:03

Royal Rother Sterling and Kane did bugger all, Mount and Foden not a lot. Grealish was involved in everything threatening we did, kept the ball well.

Sterling’s all round play has been dire for months now at City. Overdoes everything and loses the ball time after time. Chipped in with the goals and assists at the Euros which received fair credit but has really struggled apart from that for a while now

Do understand the regular inclusion though as he’s one of the only ones to stretch the defence and run in behind. Foden, Mount, Grealish all play to feet. Jury is out on Sancho in an England shirt

Disappointing result but in the grand scheme of things means very little and can hopefully utilise the period until the WC to continue experimenting like the XI tonight

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Oct 2021 10:00

Royal Rother Sterling and Kane did bugger all, Mount and Foden not a lot. Grealish was involved in everything threatening we did, kept the ball well.

Well he is England's second most successful manager ever in terms of tournament results and also on win rate, so we'll take that as a given.

Also unbeaten in 18 games* now, in which we have conceded just five goals.

On Bellingham, he was rested owing to him playing a lot of games already this season for Dortmund, Southgate conscious of player 'burnout'. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start our first game in Qatar.

Avoid defeat to Albania or San Marino next month, and we'll equal England's longest ever unbeaten run of 20 games, set 130 years ago.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 13 Oct 2021 10:09

The problem for Grealish, Mount, Sterling and Foden at the moment is that they need Kane to stay up front in the middle to give them a target and players the chance to make runs off him. With Kane constantly dropping deep everyone's space gets crowded and there's nobody to play the ball into. We get away with it when Kane's in form as he'll take the one chance that falls his way. When he's horribly out of form like he is now he negates the others. Still think Grealish needs to pass the ball on quicker than he does, he doesn't need to do everything himself like he did at Villa.

3567 posts