National team?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: England - the future....

by Zip » 11 Oct 2020 21:53

AthleticoSpizz ....nor would a lot of the nation

they couldn’t watch the game thanks to the ‘money men’

National team?

It’s wrong. Shameful that the majority of the country cannot watch their national team unless they subscribe. Not good enough.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Oct 2020 06:55

WestYorksRoyal
One of the things I liked about 2018 was Southgate picked the players who deserved to play, but now he's turning into all other England managers by sticking with favourites and allowing the team to become stale and turgid

I do agree with all that and yet.... we beat the team ranked No 1 in the world.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Oct 2020 07:16

Zip

National team?

It’s wrong. Shameful that the majority of the country cannot watch their national team unless they subscribe. Not good enough.

Yep agreed. It should be law that the big three national sports at international level, cricket, rugby and football, should be on terrestrial TV. Shouldn't even be a debate.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 12 Oct 2020 09:48

I'd always thought that England home games had to be on free to air, but it turns out this nations league let them sell the rights separately and avoid showing it for free.

Anyway I'm not reading too much into it, Belgium seem to ease off after we got ahead and de Bruyne went off. A very strange substitution.

That team wasn't our best 11, the defence looked shaky, Dyer in particular.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Oct 2020 13:53

I thought KDB must have had a knock. Anyway, fair play after my HT rant; greatly improved 2nd half and victory just about deserved.

Not free flowing exciting football, but who were the last team to win a major tournament that way? Even the Spain team from 2008 - 2012 had to grind out victories on the way. To be able to come out on top in a game like that is a good step.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 12 Oct 2020 21:37

Old Man Andrews
Zip

National team?

Yep agreed. It should be law that the big three national sports at international level, cricket, rugby and football, should be on terrestrial TV. Shouldn't even be a debate.

Would never happen with rugby apart from the 6 nations because of the way their sky deal is set up with the other games and the way BBC work with their sports contracts and finances.

BBC and ITV have certain events that they contractually cover with the FA, rfu, tennis,pga, Olympics etc etc etc. They won't ever not get those and it won't change.

Sky and BT then pay obviously x amount for the rest. With the rugby it works out that sky pay £xmill a year depending on how many games they play that aren't 6 nations at home (3 or 4 depends if they tour or have the lions) and those are the sky games they get, about, xmill per game normally. They are multi year contracts as opposed to BBCs being a written rule of them having to have these free to air big events.

That's one of the reasons why sky were trying to shove these silo sports channels down people's throats, because they invest so much into these events they need that money back. One of the stipulated things with sky was to play a game away from Twickenham to entice more people which the blazers were oxf*rd up in arms about because tradition blah blah rah rah bullshit

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Oct 2020 11:42

WestYorksRoyal I thought KDB must have had a knock. Anyway, fair play after my HT rant; greatly improved 2nd half and victory just about deserved.

Not free flowing exciting football, but who were the last team to win a major tournament that way? Even the Spain team from 2008 - 2012 had to grind out victories on the way. To be able to come out on top in a game like that is a good step.

I just think we’re still too over reliant on set pieces/flukey goals

You could not argue of the unity and success of the team during the World Cup. However, when you factor in 10 of our 12 goals that campaign were either set pieces or a deflection, you do question how creative we actually are

Of course, a goal is a goal, no matter how it goes in, but it leaves us a bit one dimensional. We need a plan B but Southgate seems to consistently call up players of a similar ilk. I guess Grealish is a start but we need more players who are comfortable with running with the ball and taking a man on

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Oct 2020 19:30

Still no Grealish. :evil:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 14 Oct 2020 19:53

Royal Rother Still no Grealish. :evil:

And now no TAA

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Oct 2020 20:01

I’d love to see stat comparisons of Phillips v Grealish. Forward v backward passes would be a good start. Then dribbles, goals and assists.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 14 Oct 2020 20:17

maguiROFLe

he's shit!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 14 Oct 2020 20:19

Dreadful by Maguire

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 14 Oct 2020 20:20

That could be one of the worst penalty decisions ever

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Oct 2020 20:24

If the win against Belgium was an exhibit in getting over the line against a top team despite a mediocre performance, what's this? An exhibit of inconsistency and a capacity to be our own worst enemy?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 14 Oct 2020 20:43

Zip

National team?

I just thought about that and saw your comment. The EPL and EFL are products....I get that....but National football. Just don't understand how it's got to this. Credit to the BBC for showing Wales games because they know the majority couldn't afford it and we are not as big a draw as England.....but international football should be sacred.
Wonder how long it is before the World Cup and FIFA start opening themselves up to the money men.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Oct 2020 20:52

Ascotexgunner
Zip

National team?

I just thought about that and saw your comment. The EPL and EFL are products....I get that....but National football. Just don't understand how it's got to this. Credit to the BBC for showing Wales games because they know the majority couldn't afford it and we are not as big a draw as England.....but international football should be sacred.
Wonder how long it is before the World Cup and FIFA start opening themselves up to the money men.

I would be astonished if FIFA went down that route with the World Cup. I don’t think that day will ever arrive. Certainly hope not,

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Oct 2020 20:53

Been sleepwalked into it over the years.

Absolutely no problem with subscription tv when it comes to EPL and EFL games etc. people can take their pick, but like the cricket and rugby, national games used to be for the nation to view, maybe the nation (like myself) are becoming apathetic nowadays?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 14 Oct 2020 21:09

Zip
Ascotexgunner
Zip

I would be astonished if FIFA went down that route with the World Cup. I don’t think that day will ever arrive. Certainly hope not,

I always thought the same about things like the British Open Golf. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think things like the Ryder Cup and golf majors would go down that route. I think within the next 3 world cups we may see a challenge to terrestrial TV on that.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2020 21:42

That was utterly shite. Southgate clearly has no authority, the players do whatever they like, behave like morons on and off the pitch and he makes really odd substitutions. Out of his depth.

3567 posts