WC 2014 2nd round Belgium vs. USA

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

Re: WC 2014 2nd round Belgium vs. USA

by Starfish » 02 Jul 2014 01:09

Ouroboros Phenomenal.

USA were stunning. Gutted for them.

Really? Had Belgium lost that, it would have been 'against the run of play'. 120 minutes and the USA played for the last 10. Had it been 2-0 after 90 minutes, no-one would have had any complaints.

Stunning? Really?

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 02 Jul 2014 02:18

Libertine Belgium should be on top...

That's what Starfish's friends said.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 02 Jul 2014 02:29

Starfish
Ouroboros Phenomenal.

Really? Had Belgium lost that, it would have been 'against the run of play'. 120 minutes and the USA played for the last 10. Had it been 2-0 after 90 minutes, no-one would have had any complaints.

Stunning? Really?

Starfers, Jose Altidore would be playing up front for them were he fit. One-goal-a-season-man Jose Altidore.

By rights they shouldn't be running Germany, Portugal and Belgium close.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 02 Jul 2014 02:43

Arch
Libertine Belgium should be on top...

That's what Starfish's friends said.

:lol: :mrgreen:

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 02 Jul 2014 06:46

I thought Klinsmann did a great job with the team. I guess my only beef is still not taking Donovan. If Donovan was on instead of Wondolowski would he have buried that chance that Wondo fluffed? Once we lost Altidore we didn't have any other effective options at forward other than Dempsey. Dempsey should have been playing in the midfield, which makes he and Bradley more effective...which showed in aet, after Wondo was introduced, Dempsey was dropped back into the midfield and Bradley played his preferred deeper lying midfield role. It was the only period of the game when the US looked to be a threat offensively. And with the injury to Altidore why did Klinsmann wait until aet in a group of 16 game to get Green on the pitch? It wasn't like his first touch was an extremely well taken goal. I can see why he is with Bayern Munich...

Again I think Klinsmann did a great job getting us as far as he did in the group we ended up in...but there are some legitimate questions that can be asked of him.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Jul 2014 08:46

Back in 1950, the USA stunned the World by beating England 1-0; today, that score would only be a shock in terms of how small a win that would be, as last night provided final proof that the USA has a far far better National team than England does. A fantastic performance by the Americans, running a very well fancied (but under-performing) Belgian side close, and in Michael Bradley they have had one of the best midfielders at the World Cup.

Whatevs

by Whatevs » 02 Jul 2014 09:39

Libertine I thought Klinsmann did a great job with the team. I guess my only beef is still not taking Donovan. If Donovan was on instead of Wondolowski would he have buried that chance that Wondo fluffed? Once we lost Altidore we didn't have any other effective options at forward other than Dempsey. Dempsey should have been playing in the midfield, which makes he and Bradley more effective...which showed in aet, after Wondo was introduced, Dempsey was dropped back into the midfield and Bradley played his preferred deeper lying midfield role. It was the only period of the game when the US looked to be a threat offensively. And with the injury to Altidore why did Klinsmann wait until aet in a group of 16 game to get Green on the pitch? It wasn't like his first touch was an extremely well taken goal. I can see why he is with Bayern Munich...

Again I think Klinsmann did a great job getting us as far as he did in the group we ended up in...but there are some legitimate questions that can be asked of him.

Bayern Munich B team i.e. he prolly wouldn't get a game for Reading

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 02 Jul 2014 10:37

Ouroboros
Starfish
Ouroboros Phenomenal.

Stunning? Really?

Starfers, Jose Altidore would be playing up front for them were he fit. One-goal-a-season-man Jose Altidore.

By rights they shouldn't be running Germany, Portugal and Belgium close.

Fair enough.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jul 2014 11:00

Great game to watch last night, but I think people are getting a little carried away by the performance of both sides.

Belgium have struggled to live up to their 'dark horse' label all tournament but they created a silly amount of chances against a game USA side who, for all their hard work and endevour, just lack that bit of quality that's really needed at that level. They could, and probably should, have lost by at least 3 in normal time.

Having said that it was great to see a team go out and work their socks off and look like it meant something to them but if England had put in that performance they'd be getting pelters for the lack of quality and ease at which a stuttering Belgium side cut through their defence.

I've no idea what impact it has on their ability to cope with the conditions but it's another hard working performance from a team supposedly more comfortable with the climate (although to be fair, I'm not sure how beneficial it is a lot of their players from Germany or the more European climates of Northern America).

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 02 Jul 2014 11:16

Belgium were their own worst enemies in that game, so many chances wasted.

Got to give the States some credit, they've consistently played above themselves in this tournament - getting out off their group was a great effort.

Funny when Klinsmann was going mental about there only being a minute added at the end, fourth official got a severe verbal roasting.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 02 Jul 2014 11:40

Why did I like the game? Because it was so deeply imperfect. Two sides that had some quality but also some massive flaws, having a go at each other for 90, then 120 minutes. USA got torn apart but stayed in it, Belgium didn't quite have enough to settle it and the last 15 minutes were about as tense as the world cup has produced.

I've no idea what impact it has on their ability to cope with the conditions but it's another hard working performance from a team supposedly more comfortable with the climate (although to be fair, I'm not sure how beneficial it is a lot of their players from Germany or the more European climates of Northern America).

Yeah, I'm not sure that they'd necessarily be any better suited to the conditions but it was a bit tedious when after the game, one of the pundits said "how did the US get so fit?". Errrr ...

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Jul 2014 11:46

Hazard was all sorts of shite.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jul 2014 12:01

Sanguine Hazard was all sorts of shite.

As he has been all tournament I think (at least compared to what he can do).

Same can be said for most of the big stars really.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 02 Jul 2014 12:20

Mr Angry Back in 1950, the USA stunned the World by beating England 1-0; today, that score would only be a shock in terms of how small a win that would be, as last night provided final proof that the USA has a far far better National team than England does. A fantastic performance by the Americans, running a very well fancied (but under-performing) Belgian side close, and in Michael Bradley they have had one of the best midfielders at the World Cup.

This is just madness. England are clearly a better side than the workmanlike USA. Michael Bradley is incredibly one-footed and has performed below par for his ability this tournament.

If England played the USA ten times how many times do you think the USA might win? I say three maximum.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 02 Jul 2014 13:00

stealthpapes Yeah, I'm not sure that they'd necessarily be any better suited to the conditions but it was a bit tedious when after the game, one of the pundits said "how did the US get so fit?". Errrr ...

Kind of related but why when players are going down with cramp and running out of energy don't they do what other endurance athletes do and wolf down a few energy gels. Or is that something they do at halftime?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Jul 2014 14:02

Let's get things into perspective here - the last 10mins from the US were superb but Belgium frankly toyed with them for the previous 110 mins. They were vastly the better team and if it wasn't for Tim Howard having a day that all keepers wish for allied with some poor finishing then a 3-0 or 4-0 scoreline wouldn't have surprised.

Belgium's biggest mistake was leaving Lukaku on the bench until ET, bring him on with 15 to go and they would have won in the 90.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 02 Jul 2014 14:19

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict

by Libertine » 02 Jul 2014 14:45

Whatevs
Libertine I thought Klinsmann did a great job with the team. I guess my only beef is still not taking Donovan. If Donovan was on instead of Wondolowski would he have buried that chance that Wondo fluffed? Once we lost Altidore we didn't have any other effective options at forward other than Dempsey. Dempsey should have been playing in the midfield, which makes he and Bradley more effective...which showed in aet, after Wondo was introduced, Dempsey was dropped back into the midfield and Bradley played his preferred deeper lying midfield role. It was the only period of the game when the US looked to be a threat offensively. And with the injury to Altidore why did Klinsmann wait until aet in a group of 16 game to get Green on the pitch? It wasn't like his first touch was an extremely well taken goal. I can see why he is with Bayern Munich...

Bayern Munich B team i.e. he prolly wouldn't get a game for Reading

Yeah, you're right. He is a 19 year-old who was with Bayern's developmental squad but now the senior team (though not seen a game as yet). In a couple years he surely wouldn't get a game for Reading because we'd never be able to afford him.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict

by Libertine » 02 Jul 2014 14:49

Maguire
Mr Angry Back in 1950, the USA stunned the World by beating England 1-0; today, that score would only be a shock in terms of how small a win that would be, as last night provided final proof that the USA has a far far better National team than England does. A fantastic performance by the Americans, running a very well fancied (but under-performing) Belgian side close, and in Michael Bradley they have had one of the best midfielders at the World Cup.

This is just madness. England are clearly a better side than the workmanlike USA. Michael Bradley is incredibly one-footed and has performed below par for his ability this tournament.

If England played the USA ten times how many times do you think the USA might win? I say three maximum.

England might have the better players but right now the US are the better team. But England's better players are still Premier League Global Superstars no matter what, so no worries...

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 02 Jul 2014 15:13

Sanguine Hazard was all sorts of shite.

He was ok last night. Glimpses of what he can do. Nice you picked out Hazard and not Mertens who had a right mare' and was hauled off.