WC 2014 Semi Final 2: Argies v Netherlands

134 posts
Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

Re: WC 2014 Semi Final 2: Argies v Netherlands

by Ouroboros » 11 Jul 2014 10:02

Starfish Video doing the rounds on the internet at the moment showing Vlaars's penalty bouncing back after the save towards the goal ... and stopping on the line ... or over it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R1AyIV-tQM

Can't watch the video at work but I don't think this wouldn't affect the outcome anyway. Sure I recall it was decided a while back that once the ball stops moving towards the goal it's dead.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 11 Jul 2014 10:35

This one is clearer and shows it didn't go in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DZACTqM76o

Zaretsky

by Zaretsky » 11 Jul 2014 11:06

Vlaar also touches it again

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 11 Jul 2014 11:12

So what happened to the goal line technology, not used during penalties?

Don't think it crossed the line though.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 11 Jul 2014 11:55

Zaretsky Vlaar also touches it again

He ducks/swerves out of the way

Zaretsky

by Zaretsky » 11 Jul 2014 14:43

TBM
Zaretsky Vlaar also touches it again

He ducks/swerves out of the way

Tries to but clips off his shoulder

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jul 2014 20:01

Zaretsky
Ian Royal the Germany of the last 10 years has been great and it's a crying shame they haven't won something already. Argentina can feck right off.

Like what?

Euros in 2012 over Spain?
World Cup in 2010 over Spain?
Euros in 2008 over Spain?
World Cup in 2006 over Italy?
or
Euros in 2004 over Greece?

Right, got you...except that Germany didn't win a game in 2004 and got knocked out in the group stages. Not exactly great. Plus that was Portugal's 'crying shame' loss.

World Cup over Italy, where two of the least deserving teams made it to the Final, Italy by cheating IMO
I'd have far preferred them winning at least one of the Spain tournaments and seen it as a triumph for entertainment over tedium.

This German side has come up slightly short against arguably the most effective side in history in Spain. That doesn't mean it doesn't stack up very favourably itself against the best of other eras and is deserving of a title for that.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 Jul 2014 20:14

Italy v Germany in 2006 was a cracking game and absolutley fair fcks to Italy for winning it. Canavarro was immense.

Zaretsky

by Zaretsky » 11 Jul 2014 22:32

Ian Royal World Cup over Italy, where two of the least deserving teams made it to the Final, Italy by cheating IMO
I'd have far preferred them winning at least one of the Spain tournaments and seen it as a triumph for entertainment over tedium.

This German side has come up slightly short against arguably the most effective side in history in Spain. That doesn't mean it doesn't stack up very favourably itself against the best of other eras and is deserving of a title for that.

How had Italy cheated? They beat Germany, as Mags said in an amazing match, and then won one of the most memorable finals I can remember. This, after the domestic league was rocked by scandal and corruption and expectation was at an all time low. Maybe my view is affected by having spent a good deal of that summer in Italy.

So what if it 'stacks up favourably' against other teams in history? If they don't win the tournaments they're in, they deserve nothing. That's football. It's a zero sum game - if they deserve to have won something, someone else is undeserving.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 11 Jul 2014 23:56

I think he might be referring to the late dive in the second round vs Australia, but... Yeah.

That said, post 2004, Germany have been one of the more entertaining teams out there. They've come up against one of the all-time great teams and fallen short. But then again I do think likeability comes with failing to win things. For the other side of that coin, see the grumbling against Spain, after 2008.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jul 2014 00:09

Zaretsky
Ian Royal World Cup over Italy, where two of the least deserving teams made it to the Final, Italy by cheating IMO

How had Italy cheated? They beat Germany, as Mags said in an amazing match, and then won one of the most memorable finals I can remember. This, after the domestic league was rocked by scandal and corruption and expectation was at an all time low. Maybe my view is affected by having spent a good deal of that summer in Italy.

So what if it 'stacks up favourably' against other teams in history? If they don't win the tournaments they're in, they deserve nothing. That's football. It's a zero sum game - if they deserve to have won something, someone else is undeserving.

I remember them being very lucky to get through an earlier match thanks to something dodgy.

Zaretsky

by Zaretsky » 12 Jul 2014 09:50

stealthpapes I think he might be referring to the late dive in the second round vs Australia, but... Yeah.

That said, post 2004, Germany have been one of the more entertaining teams out there. They've come up against one of the all-time great teams and fallen short. But then again I do think likeability comes with failing to win things. For the other side of that coin, see the grumbling against Spain, after 2008.

Ah yeah, I remember - Grosso I think and a howler of a decision. But that means they don't deserve to win the tournament!? After Robben's dive against Mexico, with a group of English sounding chaps shouting "Cheats" at the Dutch fans in the bar in Glastonbury (the only aggression I saw all weekend), I politely pointed out that like fvck we wouldn't take that and find some justification. Owen, anyone?

That aside, I agree and have been a big fan of the impact of the German league and German football, for all sorts of reasons. Entertainment is great but it's nothing if not victorious. Well, it is something but you can't claim it's deserving of victory if it doesn't actually win. After one of Spain's tournament wins, Fabregas got it spot on, saying "we play football the way we think it should be played. Most of the time that means we win, sometimes it means we lose".

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 12 Jul 2014 12:51

Ouroboros Nah, actually I think Germany are pretty popular outside their country, except among appalling racists like your LUXs, Tulips and so on.

I tell you what, there is an absolute "love-in" with the Argies in China (Mainly Messi; true). Every second little kid you see is sporting an Argentina shirt.

The game itself was appallingly bad. It seemed to me that the Dutch were playing for penalties from about mid-way through the second half (If not earlier). Also, can't work out what went wrong with the Dutch penalty-taking. Against the Costa Ricans every one of their penalties was nigh-on unstoppable. Against Argentina, their lack of confidence was palpable (Which seemed to make their apparent desire for penalties even more odd).

The Argies were equally weak throughout the game but took far better spot-kicks. I don't see the final going to penalties though.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 18 Jul 2014 16:27

134 posts