UEFA Nations League

Old Man Andrews

Re: UEFA Nations League

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Sep 2020 20:31

Bloody hell this Wales game is abysmal. Nobody wants to be there, such a pointless waste of time.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Sep 2020 20:54

Old Man Andrews Bloody hell this Wales game is abysmal. Nobody wants to be there, such a pointless waste of time.

1 shot each, neither on target and Finland having more possession, sounds like a thriller!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Sep 2020 20:56

Hendo
Old Man Andrews Bloody hell this Wales game is abysmal. Nobody wants to be there, such a pointless waste of time.

1 shot each, neither on target and Finland having more possession, sounds like a thriller!

Flicked over to the Ireland game intermittently, it isn't any better.

Have to question the timing of these games, seems very unnecessary.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Sep 2020 22:38

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Flicked over to the Ireland game intermittently, it isn't any better.

Have to question the timing of these games, seems very unnecessary.

Looks like the Faroe Islands v Malta was the game to watch!

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 06 Sep 2020 11:52

Royal Rother
Sanguine
Royal Rother Seriously? No comment about that worryingly poor performance last night?

I suppose 3 weeks without a game might be a factor but it looks like we’ve been rumbled already. I love the fact that we try to play out from the back but too many players have catastrophic mistakes in their lockers just waiting to be forced out. Press hard and the opposition know it’ll come. Probably several times on the evidence of last night.

Worryingly poor?

At least you're consistent RR, you're fast becoming the new paultheroyal with all the hyperbole. One average game and suddenly the style that has served us well over the last two years you want to throw away.

I have been hugely positive about the progress which has been seen in so many ways since Southgate took over but the very obvious failings seen last night cannot be brushed under the carpet

Not much changes eh?
What a dreadful game yesterday evening with half a first team Iceland playing half a first team England.
Our much vaunted wingers did so little in the game and Man City's much lauded replacement for David Silva was anonymous and as for Kyle Walker.....

Iceland's penalty miss clouds over what was an abject performance from those supposedly pushing for a regular England start.

BTW are we so short of players in England that we have to play a right-back at left-back?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Sep 2020 12:14

South Coast Royal
Royal Rother
Sanguine
Worryingly poor?

At least you're consistent RR, you're fast becoming the new paultheroyal with all the hyperbole. One average game and suddenly the style that has served us well over the last two years you want to throw away.

I have been hugely positive about the progress which has been seen in so many ways since Southgate took over but the very obvious failings seen last night cannot be brushed under the carpet

Not much changes eh?
What a dreadful game yesterday evening with half a first team Iceland playing half a first team England.
Our much vaunted wingers did so little in the game and Man City's much lauded replacement for David Silva was anonymous and as for Kyle Walker.....

Iceland's penalty miss clouds over what was an abject performance from those supposedly pushing for a regular England start.

BTW are we so short of players in England that we have to play a right-back at left-back?

The irony is, is that everyone dismissed using the likes of Tarkowski because they don’t fit in with Southgate’s style of “progressive passing”

How many times do we score a goal as a result of our “progressive passing”. Personally feels like the majority of our goals come from set pieces and we struggle to break teams down in open play as so many of our players are of a similar ilk, seems a distinct lack of a plan B

Trippier at LB was a bit of a strange call, think we’ve missed a trick not calling up Saka as he seemed to have a strong end to last season

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Sep 2020 14:09

I know Sterling and Sancho are very good players but they do frustrate me.

And I do like a passing game but oh for the days of a dribbler - we just don’t want to run with the ball anymore which means if a defensive minded team is well organised we will struggle to break them down.

Flair players can create space for others by doing things quickly - stopping and passing back to start the build again (slowly) is all well and good but it creates no space.

They looked shackled by tactics, their own and Iceland’s, last night.

One of Pickford’s strengths is the pinpoint long distribution kicking from his hands but unless I nodded off I can’t remember a single time when he used that attribute.

But I suspect they will be better for the run out and they will have more opportunities to counter attack against Belgium and Denmark because they won’t pack their defence.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Sep 2020 15:07

Sky Sports showing Andorra Vs San Marino live

Would genuinely love to know viewing figures

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Sep 2020 15:13

Royal Rother I know Sterling and Sancho are very good players but they do frustrate me.

And I do like a passing game but oh for the days of a dribbler - we just don’t want to run with the ball anymore which means if a defensive minded team is well organised we will struggle to break them down.

Flair players can create space for others by doing things quickly - stopping and passing back to start the build again (slowly) is all well and good but it creates no space.

They looked shackled by tactics, their own and Iceland’s, last night.

One of Pickford’s strengths is the pinpoint long distribution kicking from his hands but unless I nodded off I can’t remember a single time when he used that attribute.

But I suspect they will be better for the run out and they will have more opportunities to counter attack against Belgium and Denmark because they won’t pack their defence.

The “Southgate way” may well make for a more homely, nice and friendly England with unassuming players but it won’t improve the nation’s lot on the pitch. Still do just enough to get through to tournament’s last 16 or 8 before failing as per usual.

As observed above, can’t help but feel the team/country just lacks that bit of flair and individuality that makes all the difference between a team that’s no more than functional and a team capable of winning something.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Sep 2020 09:40

Was amazed to read this morning that inclusive of his appearance as a sub against Iceland (perhaps only because Walker got sent off), TAA has just ten England caps. Why on earth isn't he one of the first names on the teamsheet? Southgate's formation?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 08 Sep 2020 10:46

Sanguine Was amazed to read this morning that inclusive of his appearance as a sub against Iceland (perhaps only because Walker got sent off), TAA has just ten England caps. Why on earth isn't he one of the first names on the teamsheet? Southgate's formation?

It is easy to forget how short a time Trent has been playing first team football-the same went for Rashford .
What I find odd is Southgate's preoccupation with really young players- I think it is partly in self-defence because if they fail he can't be accused of not giving young players a chance as demanded by the media.

Greenwood and Foden ( yeah those two!!) have hardly played a full season in the Premier League and yet get called up for England, as was the case previously with Mount.

I am all for the maxim of "if they are good enough they are old enough" but a bit longer in the U21s wouldn't do some of these guys any harm and they might learn to grow up both on and off the pitch before being thrust onto the full International scene when they are more about what they might be able to do rather than what they have achieved so far.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Sep 2020 10:56

I'd have treated them differently. Very much a breakout season for Greenwood - he featured in nearly every United league game and scored 19 goals in all competitions, his call-up inevitable and deserved (I don't remember exactly how Owen burst on to the scene but I remember a debut goal against Wimbledon and then that World Cup goal against the Argies the following summer). It's a path well-trodden - score goals as a young forward and you'll get picked.

Foden for me more a Walcott pick - all sorts of promise, and I've no doubt that Foden will have a better career than Walcott and probably be the mainstay of the England midfield for a decade - but he played 40% fewer minutes in the PL this season than Greenwood, and only 250 minutes in the CL (vs. three times as many for Greenwood in the Europa League).

In short, yes, Foden needs to play more, and there is an argument (although a harsh one) that he was exposed in a less talented England midfield than he is used to at City (albeit with a couple of tasty passes through the lines).

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 08 Sep 2020 10:58

South Coast Royal
Sanguine Was amazed to read this morning that inclusive of his appearance as a sub against Iceland (perhaps only because Walker got sent off), TAA has just ten England caps. Why on earth isn't he one of the first names on the teamsheet? Southgate's formation?

It is easy to forget how short a time Trent has been playing first team football

This. Don't forget that Trippier came out the last world cup as the first choice right back having had a very good tournament, Walker was also in front of him in the pecking order. Can't be bothered to look it up but if those 10 caps have all been in the last year/18mths then its about right for how much he's progressed. He's been injured hasn't he, hence not starting the other night? Don't doubt he'd be first choice if fully fit.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Sep 2020 11:02

6ft Kerplunk
South Coast Royal

It is easy to forget how short a time Trent has been playing first team football

This. Don't forget that Trippier came out the last world cup as the first choice right back having had a very good tournament, Walker was also in front of him in the pecking order. Can't be bothered to look it up but if those 10 caps have all been in the last year/18mths then its about right for how much he's progressed. He's been injured hasn't he, hence not starting the other night? Don't doubt he'd be first choice if fully fit.

Ah, I did forget that, yes he hasn't played for Liverpool in pre-season.

Had a look and yes, he'd started England's last three games prior to Iceland.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Sep 2020 07:52

Ronaldo scored his 101st goal for Portugal last night, what a player! Only a few goals away now from the all time international scoring record.

When people compare Ronaldo and Messi I always go back to what they have done for their country on the pitch. Ronaldo is a leader and has dragged that Portugal side to success over the years. Messi really hasn't been himself for Argentina, not sure why.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Sep 2020 15:04

Interesting what one result can do for a 'legacy'. Had Messi's Argentina won that WC final vs. Germany, rather than lost it, I think the endless and boring debate as to who is the 'GOAT' would be done and dusted, irrespective of Messi's personal contribution to the win (and he had had a very good World Cup up to that point).

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Sep 2020 07:31

The "had that have been different then you wouldn't feel like that" argument is well beneath you Sanguine.

The fact is it wasn't different and Argentina have been largely poor whilst Messi has played for them, he doesn't have the ability to lift others around him imo. Ronaldo has that attribute and raises the level of the players he plays with.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Sep 2020 13:42

Old Man Andrews The "had that have been different then you wouldn't feel like that" argument is well beneath you Sanguine.

The fact is it wasn't different and Argentina have been largely poor whilst Messi has played for them, he doesn't have the ability to lift others around him imo. Ronaldo has that attribute and raises the level of the players he plays with.

Yeah, broadly agree with this

Used to think Messi was the better player, certainly four or five years ago but not anymore. Barca have suffered too many collapses in recent years, at Roma in 2018, Liverpool in 2019, and now Bayern this year. Quite simply, I don't think these sort of collapses would happen to a team with Ronaldo in, certainly not three years on the trot anyway

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Oct 2020 13:52

Ukraine have included a 45 year old retired goalkeeper in their Nations League squad for this round of fixtures. Oleksandr Shovkovskiy is actually their 6th highest capped player in history, but last played for Ukraine in 2012, and is now Shevchenko's assistant coach. Three Ukraine keepers have gone down with COVID, and Heorihy Bushchan of Dynamo Kiev will make his international debut - Shovkovskiy will be on the bench.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 14 Oct 2020 21:40

What a goal by Jonny Williams...mini Hartson.....
What a Sterlingesque miss by Montondo
8 starters under 23......well done lads.