England’s World Cup Finals 2018

329 posts
Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: England’s World Cup Finals 2018

by Scutterbucketz » 09 Jul 2018 14:52

I’ve decided to go full chav and am going to turn the upper half of my house into a giant England flag. It’s clad with white plastic and I’ve just gone out and bought a roll of red material to stick to the front. Just waiting for my mate to bring his long ladder round. If I fall and break my neck doing this please try and get word to Gareth and the lads in Russia that I died happy. And to bring it home.

ICH

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Jul 2018 14:58

bobby1413
Hoop Blah Just a thought, but imagine how potent going forward we could be IF the likes of Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley and Sturridge were fit, in form and bought into this sides structure and work ethic.

Are you mental? It was players like those that has been England's downfall for years and years.

If they were all 100% fit I'd still leave them at home.

Not mental no, it's the environment that held us back and that's why I said they had to be bought into the structure and ethic of what Southgate has put together.

Snowflake Royal Agree in the case of Lallana and Ox, Hoop. Not sure about Barkley, but no chance Sturridge.

The first two would obviously have been in the squad if they'd been fit and so yes, they're certainly the more agreeable options. My point was more about us being able to harness their natural talents within this team to improve it.

Barkley and Sturridge could've added a bit more X-factor if, and it is a big IF, they were fit and part of the right culture. I'm not a fan of Sturridge because of his attitude but if you can put that aside and image his abilities alongside Kane (in a similar way to how he played alongside Suarez) then it could really add something in the final third.

It's also exciting to think how the team can progress from here with a few of those to come back in when fit plus the likes of Gomez, Sessegnon, Foden, Sancho and others to step up over the next couple of years.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 Jul 2018 14:59

Scutterbucketz I’ve decided to go full chav and am going to turn the upper half of my house into a giant England flag. It’s clad with white plastic and I’ve just gone out and bought a roll of red material to stick to the front. Just waiting for my mate to bring his long ladder round. If I fall and break my neck doing this please try and get word to Gareth and the lads in Russia that I died happy. And to bring it home.

ICH

You're quickly becoming one of my favorite posters.

ICH

TheSpread

by TheSpread » 09 Jul 2018 15:00

I think Andy Carroll in the squad would have a been a good idea. Even more so after seeing Vardy being pretty poor thus far.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Jul 2018 16:30

TheSpread I think Andy Carroll in the squad would have a been a good idea. Even more so after seeing Vardy being pretty poor thus far.

Not against Carroll per se, but they are entirely different players. Vardy is in the squad as an option against teams playing a high line, and against tired legs. Carroll wouldn't be - and we're not exactly going to be lumping it up to him.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 09 Jul 2018 16:47

CountryRoyal
Scutterbucketz I’ve decided to go full chav and am going to turn the upper half of my house into a giant England flag. It’s clad with white plastic and I’ve just gone out and bought a roll of red material to stick to the front. Just waiting for my mate to bring his long ladder round. If I fall and break my neck doing this please try and get word to Gareth and the lads in Russia that I died happy. And to bring it home.

ICH

You're quickly becoming one of my favorite posters.

ICH

Cheers bud. Hope the missus likes it when she gets back from work. :lol:

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 09 Jul 2018 18:29

Didn’t die, so glad I get to see it coming home on Sunday.

ICH

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 Jul 2018 18:39

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 09 Jul 2018 18:51

Thank you. It was a bit hairy right up into the eave but i just sang Three Lions to myself and powered through.

ICH

TheSpread

by TheSpread » 10 Jul 2018 08:37

Sanguine
TheSpread I think Andy Carroll in the squad would have a been a good idea. Even more so after seeing Vardy being pretty poor thus far.

Not against Carroll per se, but they are entirely different players. Vardy is in the squad as an option against teams playing a high line, and against tired legs. Carroll wouldn't be - and we're not exactly going to be lumping it up to him.

But haven't many of our goals come from set pieces? Perhaps I picked on the wrong player though. Perhaps I would have taken Carroll instead of Welbeck.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Jul 2018 09:51

Yeah, that's fair enough. Adding Carroll to the 'love train' would make it even more formidable.

Here's a stat and a half...

At Euro 2012, the 2014 World Cup and Euro 2016, England took 72 corners without them leading to a goal.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Jul 2018 10:05

Hoop Blah Just a thought, but imagine how potent going forward we could be IF the likes of Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley and Sturridge were fit, in form and bought into this sides structure and work ethic.
I would expect the squad to remain unchanged after the world cup with any additions being youngsters most of us have probably never heard of - maybe from the England U21's

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 Jul 2018 11:03

Scutterbucketz Didn’t die, so glad I get to see it coming home on Sunday.

ICH

Brilliant work, well done.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Jul 2018 21:59

Forbury Lion
I would expect the squad to remain unchanged after the world cup with any additions being youngsters most of us have probably never heard of - maybe from the England U21's

I’d be absolutely amazed if Oxlade-Chamberlain didn’t come back into the squad when he’s fit again. Slightly less so Lallana, but I’m sure he’ll be involved into the Euros. Gomez will be another that I’d expect to be back in when fit.

I agree it would be a surprise to see the likes of Smalling or Livermore back in but your Bertrands, Wilshires and Barkleys will stand a chance in they perform.

You’re right we will probably see youngsters push for a place though. As I’ve said previously, it’s a chance for players like Sessengnon, Foden and Sancho to stake a claim now.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 10 Jul 2018 22:13

paultheroyal
Scutterbucketz Didn’t die, so glad I get to see it coming home on Sunday.

ICH

Brilliant work, well done.

Thanks. It’s been really cool today to watch people walk past and cars to stop and have a look and take a photo. That flag is something a great many of us have been uncomfortable with since it’s become a Bat Signal for bigots.

This England team has got this country; a place I never ever imagined could ever be so divided, all looking in the same hopeful direction. ICH

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Jul 2018 10:17

A gem from Twitter this morning. It is football end of days. One of Henderson or Lovren will play in both the Champions League final and the World Cup final. In the same season.

On Henderson, he's got a remarkable recent record - no player has ever gone his 30 England games undefeated, and we've won 23 of them.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 11 Jul 2018 10:45

I get where that tweet is coming from, I'm just surprised TheSpread hasn't posted it on here already. However, the suggestion that Henderson is some sort of shit player is just more football ignorance frankly.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Jul 2018 10:50

Silver Fox I get where that tweet is coming from, I'm just surprised TheSpread hasn't posted it on here already. However, the suggestion that Henderson is some sort of shit player is just more football ignorance frankly.

Absolutely, it just sums up where England have gone wrong over the years and the mentality of the majority of football fans.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Jul 2018 10:52

Silver Fox I get where that tweet is coming from, I'm just surprised TheSpread hasn't posted it on here already. However, the suggestion that Henderson is some sort of shit player is just more football ignorance frankly.

"He's no Steven Gerrard is he?" Love seeing that on Twitter when Henderson comes up for discussion.

No he's not, he's far more successful internationally and has contributed more in 30 caps than Gerrard did in 114 (arguably).

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 11 Jul 2018 10:58

My main issue with that would be that the same people were no doubt laying into Gerrard at the time

Fold the internet basically

329 posts