Nations League & Friendlies

521 posts
Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Nations League & Friendlies

by Silver Fox » 07 Jun 2019 11:59

Hendo
URZZZZ
Zip That was dismal especially Stones. England have the threat going forward but dear God that was a defensive shambles. Stones surely gets dropped after that.

Couldn’t disagree more to be honest. There’s no threat going forwards, and there hasn’t been for a long long time (how many goals for England in the World Cup were set pieces). I’m still waiting for an England manager to deliver by picking people on merit rather than by name. Oh well

Yeah, I mean players like Jadon Sancho and Declan Rice have been picked based on their names. Not anything to do with them playing exceptionally well for their clubs

Yeah but Chilwell only got in because of his celebrity status

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 07 Jun 2019 12:19

Lingard’s goal stands and we’d all be talking about a decent defensive display with a weaker than normal midfield. What erks this morning is Southgate saying ‘we’re keeping with the passing from defence”. Stubborn, just like Stam. You need to have the players to do this. The amount of times we put ourselves under pressure because of it. As a manager you should see it’s not working and just get your defenders to Row Z it. Be fluid.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Jun 2019 12:53

Zammo Lingard’s goal stands and we’d all be talking about a decent defensive display with a weaker than normal midfield. What erks this morning is Southgate saying ‘we’re keeping with the passing from defence”. Stubborn, just like Stam. You need to have the players to do this. The amount of times we put ourselves under pressure because of it. As a manager you should see it’s not working and just get your defenders to Row Z it. Be fluid.

And the amount of times its worked for us too, in what has been an excellent couple of years for the England football team.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jun 2019 22:55

URZZZZ
genome
URZZZZ I don’t really like international football - that, along with things such as the FA Cup seemed to have died a death

Erm... where were you last summer?

I Only managed to watch two games due to work - Belgium and Croatia so my views are distorted. Maybe I’m a bad luck charm :cry:

So you've watched 3 out of about 20 games over the last couple of years and think you've got a good handle on how we're playing and what the problems are?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Jun 2019 00:55

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
genome

I Only managed to watch two games due to work - Belgium and Croatia so my views are distorted. Maybe I’m a bad luck charm :cry:

So you've watched 3 out of about 20 games over the last couple of years and think you've got a good handle on how we're playing and what the problems are?

I used to watch them quite frequently but given how much of a disgrace Euro 2016 was, I lost interest. To me, it felt like the players had no pride in representing their country. The few select games I do manage to watch now remind me very much of our performances around Euro 2016 so to my eye, nothing much has changed. Of course, I can't really judge Southgate properly. But when I see John Stones, Ross Barkley, Fabian Delph and Jesse Lingard in the squad, having made about 5 starts between them in league football in the last 3 months, then it does slightly irritate me and make me go harsher on him

Surely Gomez, Alexander Arnold, Noble, Maddison etc will be a better bet. Maybe it will/won't work but at least the players chosen will be on merit

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Jun 2019 00:57

Hendo
URZZZZ
Zip That was dismal especially Stones. England have the threat going forward but dear God that was a defensive shambles. Stones surely gets dropped after that.

Couldn’t disagree more to be honest. There’s no threat going forwards, and there hasn’t been for a long long time (how many goals for England in the World Cup were set pieces). I’m still waiting for an England manager to deliver by picking people on merit rather than by name. Oh well

Yeah, I mean players like Jadon Sancho and Declan Rice have been picked based on their names. Not anything to do with them playing exceptionally well for their clubs

Dier?
Delph?
Lingard?
Rashford?
Stones?
Barkley?

Four of those have barely played, others are on horrific form.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Jun 2019 01:01

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
genome

You are literally taking the piss aren’t you Ian Royal?
Please tell me this is ironic?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Jun 2019 08:28

URZZZZ
Hendo
URZZZZ

Dier?
Delph?
Lingard?
Rashford?
Stones?
Barkley?

Pick replacements for them then, although I’ll give you Delph as I don’t see what he brings.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jun 2019 10:04

leon
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Yeah, I wondered which retard would pop up with the I never watch games lie. You weren't favourite, but certainly up there on the list of probable idiots.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jun 2019 10:07

URZZZZ
Hendo
URZZZZ

Dier?
Delph?
Lingard?
Rashford?
Stones?
Barkley?

It's just as bad to only pick flavour of the month as to only pick on reputation.

Southgate picks a blend of players who have served him well in the past and those doing well now.

Jesse sodding Lingard and Fabian Delph are hardly there just as big names.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jun 2019 10:30

One crap performance in the auto windscreens shield of international football that is all it is. England should only be judged in the games that matter (and to be honest that is just games in the actual finals of proper tournaments seeing as it is now virtually impossible for a team around England’s ability level not to qualify).

Next June/July is when they will have to perform to a decent level and prove they can give the leading sides something to worry about.

To be honest my only concern at the moment is the seeming reliance on set pieces and not nearly enough threat in open play against the “half decent” teams. If Gareth and his management team can improve that over the next year then they should be able to at least realistically challenge for a semi final place at the Euros.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 08 Jun 2019 12:26

I actually think England have a solid chance in the U-21s later in the summer.

To be honest my only concern at the moment is the seeming reliance on set pieces and not nearly enough threat in open play against the “half decent” teams.

This is not a problem. Being a solid side, with well organised set pieces on top, is probably one of the easiest routes for success for England. It plays to the teams strengths, and is a relatively easier way to get a competitive advantage. The other key strength is the number of very fast players. Work on what you've got, minimise the negatives (passing, technique) and try to work on the mentality (which is, again, what was the clearest difference in 2018 to previous iterations of England).

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Jun 2019 13:32

Snowflake Royal
leon
Snowflake Royal So you've watched 3 out of about 20 games over the last couple of years and think you've got a good handle on how we're playing and what the problems are?

Yeah, I wondered which retard would pop up with the I never watch games lie. You weren't favourite, but certainly up there on the list of probable idiots.

Cheer up you miserable fcuker. It’ll be Christmas soon.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 08 Jun 2019 13:36

meant to be marking. lolling at that instead.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Jun 2019 15:00

Better today, Alexander Arnold playing really well down the right flank and even Dier is having a good game. Sterling and Alli really poor so far, and I still don't see it with Delph

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 09 Jun 2019 15:45

var lolf's

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Jun 2019 15:56

Please Please abandon VAR, it’s beyond awful

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 09 Jun 2019 21:44

URZZZZ Please Please abandon VAR, it’s beyond awful

But, but some on here are saying it just needs tweaking and a bit of time......
Personally its a load of shite, they should just use an extra pair of eyes and if they get a decision wrong then just accept it. Its been like that for 150 years.

And what's with the new bullsh+t rules about walls. What is happening to the game?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Jun 2019 22:31

Meanwhile a Netherlands player is put in a headlock and wrestled to the ground, but VAR is nowhere to be seen.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jun 2019 22:34

FFS give it time. VAR is the way forward, Too many mistakes are made in games by match officials. So what if players celebrate a goal and it’s then scratched off because there’s been a foul. As long as VAR means the right decisions are being made more than pre VAR then it’s worth it.

521 posts