Hob Nob Addict

Re: Euro 2020

by tulip » 27 Jun 2021 22:03

Belgium through so Benelux 1-0 today.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 27 Jun 2021 22:15

Lukaku was blowing at the end. De Bruyne and Hazard both injured. Think they'll struggle against Italy.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Jun 2021 23:01

Royal Rother When will the commentators stop saying “ooo, this is Ronaldo territory”?

He has scored from 1 of his last 52 free kicks in major tournaments.

It's Roberto Carlos all over again.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jun 2021 00:37

Royal Rother When will the commentators stop saying “ooo, this is Ronaldo territory”?

Yep, thinking that myself. For the hype surrounding his free kicks, a large proportion seem to just hit the wall

Commentary were poor tonight. Dixon’s input is very limited

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Jun 2021 07:24

URZZZZ

Yep, thinking that myself. For the hype surrounding his free kicks, a large proportion seem to just hit the wall

Commentary were poor tonight. Dixon’s input is very limited

He is probably the worst commentator bar Savage. Even Mills is better.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jun 2021 08:12

After Qatar once he's retired.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 28 Jun 2021 08:17

Snowflake Royal

Hasn't he said he is going to play until he is 40? I hope he has revised that, nobody wants to see him become a hasbeen.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jun 2021 08:25

NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal

Hasn't he said he is going to play until he is 40? I hope he has revised that, nobody wants to see him become a hasbeen.

If he's still playing for Portugal after Qatar they probably won't make the next major Finals.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jun 2021 08:31

URZZZZ
NathStPaul
URZZZZ Portugal so predictable, they do the same thing every attack

Jota seems incapable of doing anything else other than passing to Ronaldo in particular

Thing is that has been their game plan for about 10 years now and its worked, hard to get away from that style of play whilst Ronaldo is still in the side.
Problem now is that Ronaldo hasn't quite got the legs he used to. Obviously still and incredible player but he's not going to burst past a defender with a dazzling bit of skill like he used to.

Yep. Didn’t actually think they were great in Euro 2016 though - even if they did win it and they lost in the last 16 (?) in 2018

Feels strange to say it given Ronaldo’s obvious qualities but I genuinely think they could end up a better side when he goes as they’re so over reliant on him, feels like the other players are scared of him

Portugal were awful in the last Euro's and were possibly the least deserved winners of a major tournament in living memory, and I include the Greece shock in that as at least they won games in the group.

Portugal won in 2016 on the back of 3 draws in the group stage, a 117th minute winner in the 2nd and a penalty shoot-out in the quarters before finally winning a game in 90mins in the semis (against a knackered Welsh side).

They then won the final with a 109th minute winner after possibly the most turgid final I've had the misfortune to watch.

So yeah, they won it, fair play and you'd be delighted if your team did but to be the only team in history to win a tournament and only win 1 game in normal time, and none in the group stage is hardly amazing. At least they won a game in the groups this time.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 28 Jun 2021 08:32

Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal After Qatar once he's retired.

If he's still playing for Portugal after Qatar they probably won't make the next major Finals.

Yeah he certainly is getting to the point where his records and personal goals are put above the teams. You can see the players around him always looking for him rather than playing the simple pass or taking the shot on themselves.
It is of course very silly to write Ronaldo off as past it, he isn't, but he might have outstayed his welcome at international level. Who is going to tell him though? You'd also think the Portuguese public would be up in arms about it were he to be excluded, especialliy if their World Cup qualifying is going badly.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 28 Jun 2021 09:27

When England beat the Czech's 1-0, a lot of people moaned about what heavy work we made of it, and that, although we were through we didn't look that good.

Well, after the Czech result against the Dutch there is now a different complexion on England's victory over them; not only the only team to beat the Czech's but also the only team to shut out Schick (and to not concede a goal to them).........as they say in horse racing, the form has been franked.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Jun 2021 09:32

Mr Angry When England beat the Czech's 1-0, a lot of people moaned about what heavy work we made of it, and that, although we were through we didn't look that good.

Well, after the Czech result against the Dutch there is now a different complexion on England's victory over them; not only the only team to beat the Czech's but also the only team to shut out Schick (and to not concede a goal to them).........as they say in horse racing, the form has been franked.

Somewhat agree, but the red card did certainly attribute to the Dutch downfall.

Not that the Dutch looked that good anyway.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 28 Jun 2021 09:39

Hendo
Mr Angry When England beat the Czech's 1-0, a lot of people moaned about what heavy work we made of it, and that, although we were through we didn't look that good.

Somewhat agree, but the red card did certainly attribute to the Dutch downfall.

Not that the Dutch looked that good anyway.

Yeah didn't see anything from the Czech's that suggested they are to the feared. Workmanlike, solid but very little creativity. The Dutch played into their hands (literally) and the 10 men didn't have enough to stop them. I would happily play against the Czech's again, nothing to fear.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 28 Jun 2021 09:59

Deadlock Something Matterface just burbled...

Matterface is an abomination, him and the adverts for Love Island mean I'll be quite happy when the tournament is over so I no longer have any reason to watch ITV

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 28 Jun 2021 10:02

Silver Fox

Matterface is an abomination, him and the adverts for Love Island mean I'll be quite happy when the tournament is over so I no longer have any reason to watch ITV

Amen brother

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 28 Jun 2021 10:03

bcubed
Silver Fox

Amen brother

+1000000000000

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 28 Jun 2021 10:12

NathStPaul
bcubed
Silver Fox

Amen brother

+1000000000000

+1000000000001

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Jun 2021 10:13

Is this the most united HNA? has ever been?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 28 Jun 2021 10:16

Pepe the Horseman Is this the most united HNA? has ever been?

Nah there was a time when Vic was being a massive racist and everyone turned on him, great day. There was far more vitriol in that.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Jun 2021 10:19

Stranded
URZZZZ
NathStPaul Thing is that has been their game plan for about 10 years now and its worked, hard to get away from that style of play whilst Ronaldo is still in the side.
Problem now is that Ronaldo hasn't quite got the legs he used to. Obviously still and incredible player but he's not going to burst past a defender with a dazzling bit of skill like he used to.

Yep. Didn’t actually think they were great in Euro 2016 though - even if they did win it and they lost in the last 16 (?) in 2018

Feels strange to say it given Ronaldo’s obvious qualities but I genuinely think they could end up a better side when he goes as they’re so over reliant on him, feels like the other players are scared of him

Portugal were awful in the last Euro's and were possibly the least deserved winners of a major tournament in living memory, and I include the Greece shock in that as at least they won games in the group.

Portugal won in 2016 on the back of 3 draws in the group stage, a 117th minute winner in the 2nd and a penalty shoot-out in the quarters before finally winning a game in 90mins in the semis (against a knackered Welsh side).

They then won the final with a 109th minute winner after possibly the most turgid final I've had the misfortune to watch.

So yeah, they won it, fair play and you'd be delighted if your team did but to be the only team in history to win a tournament and only win 1 game in normal time, and none in the group stage is hardly amazing. At least they won a game in the groups this time.

Wales were not knackered. We were missing Ramsey(our best player at that tournament) and Davies in the semi final due to suspension and had no squad depth at all to replace them. They beat us 2-0 fair and square.

2571 posts