Euro 2020

2571 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Euro 2020

by NathStPaul » 10 Jun 2021 07:24

Wasn't really bothered about the Euros until this week, now I am pumped as fcuk.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 10 Jun 2021 08:05

Samesies. around 10-14 days ago it hadn't really sunk in that it was happening this summer, and when I realised it was on I didn't know when. Over the last week my pumped levels have risen day after day and I am genuinely buzzing for it now.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 10 Jun 2021 08:47

I am still meh about it

Think when Friday game comes, I will be pumped

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 10 Jun 2021 08:48

It feels genuinely different this year

I honestly think, nay, KNOW we can and will win

Foden and Kane will lead us to glory. I know it. They will.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 10 Jun 2021 09:23

So there will be a THIRD ballot for England v Croatia
Happening now I think

No longer expecting anything but anyone successful doesn’t have long to sort out Covid access requirements for Sunday!

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 10 Jun 2021 18:20

Zip
Ascotexgunner
Zip One for you Ascot. Elis James Football Nation on iPlayer on the history of Wales national team. So many painful memories etched in my memory starting with the bent East German referee when we played the second leg of the European Championship quarter final with Yugoslavia in 1976 having won our group.
Then the Joe Jordan handball in the winner takes all WC qualifier v Scotland at Anfield in 77.
Onto the agonising goal so late on that cost us qualification for the Euros in 84
Then the bloody Scots again in the crucial final qualifier in 85 with another dodgy penalty.

The pain continues with Bodin’s penalty hitting the bar in the winner takes all WC qualifier v Romania in 93. Then the Euro play off defeat to the Russians and just when there was some optimism returning to the national team the passing of Gary Speed. We were at his last game a 4-1 win v Norway.

When I look at all the crucial pens involving Wales and Reading over the years in the massive matches both have always missed them and the opposition have always scored. Every. Bloody. Time.

The 76 one was painful. We did the hard bit away on an absolutely terrible pitch. The referee was an utter disgrace in the home leg and I remember the bottles raining down on the Yugoslav bench. They were a horrible lot.
78 was the most pain I've experienced with football, Reading an all included. Poor Terry went to the grave before that Scottish filth admitted he had handled it.
How I cheered Peru and Iran in that World Cup.
Then the tartan bastards gets that decision in 85......
As for Bodin, never understood why he took it. All those penalty takers on the pitch and they let him take it......I was there that night. Close to 78 in pain but we masterminded our own downfall that evening.
TBH the Russia playoff never surprised me result wise. We really were heading for our lowest ebb after that.
All credit goes to John Toshak. To clear out the entire senior squad (the likes of Savage etc) and promote the U23 team as the first team and the U21s to the U23s and so on was a master stroke. Sadly the results cost him his job but long term we got back on our feet.

If there's one set of results I'm desperate to see.....it's that England put at least 6 past the cheats and they finish bottom with a goal difference of -15 and they don't qualify again for another 25 years.

My mate had a T-shirt with Iran sewn into it for the 78 WC. He wore it in PE and was promptly dismissed to the changing room. I think 85 and 93 were more painful for me. Up there and alongside Bolton in 95.

Agree about Toshack. He did a good job and is at least recognised for it these days. As for Scotland it’s a long time ago but I may never see Wales in a World Cup Finals and that pisses me off especially when I recall Jordan’s clenched fist after his cheating was rewarded. That clip still gets my blood pressure rising.

Haha If I could have got a shirt with Cubillas on it or Ali Parvin I'd have done it.
It is still my lowest point in football. I went to school the next day absolutely distraught and then had the piss ripped out of me somthing big......by England fans of all people. They hadn't even qualified.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Jun 2021 07:19

HAPPY EUROS DAY Y'ALL.

HAGO

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Jun 2021 08:05

Starting with a cracking fixture too. This would have been one of the group games I was most looking forward to seeing.

A rejuvenated Italian team who are very unitalian in their attacking approach Vs a Turkish team tipped by many to be an an underdog who could maybe get to the last 8

really massively buzzing for this!

Gerrin there football!!!

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 11 Jun 2021 08:08

Winston Biscuit Starting with a cracking fixture too. This would have been one of the group games I was most looking forward to seeing.

A rejuvenated Italian team who are very unitalian in their attacking approach Vs a Turkish team tipped by many to be an an underdog who could maybe get to the last 8

Gerrin there football!!!

Got 5 on a Turkey win and Yilmaz fgs

LESSSS GOOOOOOOOOO

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Jun 2021 08:19

Simmops
Winston Biscuit Starting with a cracking fixture too. This would have been one of the group games I was most looking forward to seeing.

Gerrin there football!!!

LESSSS GOOOOOOOOOO

What odds? Yilmaz should do ok this tournament

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Jun 2021 08:20

My only annoyance at this tournament is that the 3rd placed teams can go through. Really takes away some of the drama of a big team going out when they don't get a win after just the first game

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Jun 2021 08:32

Winston Biscuit My only annoyance at this tournament is that the 3rd placed teams can go through. Really takes away some of the drama of a big team going out when they don't get a win after just the first game

And then as per 2016 go on to win the thing. Weren't Portugal the first team to win a major international tournament without winning a group game?

Didn't win a game in 90 mins until the semi final against Wales.

It's annoying but it means more games with something on even if there are less shocks. Does make the group of death of France, Germany, Portugal and Hungary more of a group of general discomfort though, which is a shame - unless Hungary pull off a shock win somewhere.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 11 Jun 2021 08:38

Winston Biscuit
Simmops

Gerrin there football!!!

LESSSS GOOOOOOOOOO

What odds? Yilmaz should do ok this tournament

12/1 skybet boost, wasnt FGS sorry was anytime

also done yilmaz fgs 17/2

yilmaz to score first and turkey win 2-1 at 130/1

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 11 Jun 2021 10:09

Christ we are 5/4 to NOT get out of our group and 3-1 to beat Switzerland. Might be worth a flutter though I'm starting to realise the cuckoo clockers maybe better than I thought.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Jun 2021 10:10

Not sure how good you have to be to beat Wales tbh.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 11 Jun 2021 10:18

Gerrin there football!!!

Can't help but think you've Sangersesque jinxed this now and it'll be a 0-0 bore fest.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Jun 2021 10:30

Where's all the hype for Turkey come from? Their recent results don't exactly scream dark horses.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Jun 2021 10:33

Pepe the Horseman Where's all the hype for Turkey come from? Their recent results don't exactly scream dark horses.

This happens every tournament, it is normally Croatia that get a lot of hype built up around them for no reason but this time it is Turkey. Turkey will do absolutely nothing of note, might sneak one of the 3rd place qualifying slots if they are lucky. Only a complete and utter fool would back them.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 11 Jun 2021 10:40

Pepe the Horseman Where's all the hype for Turkey come from? Their recent results don't exactly scream dark horses.

There is no hype for them. Just have a smashing few players (Yilmaz, Cahlanoglu, Soyuncu, Yokuslu) and completely demolished a very strong Dutch team. And are in a relatively weak group.

Only an utter fool can not see that they have a decent chance of upsetting Italy.

In tournament games literally anything can and has happened. I do not see why Turkey could sneak a result.
Last edited by Simmops on 11 Jun 2021 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 11 Jun 2021 10:41

NathStPaul

This happens every tournament, it is normally Croatia that get a lot of hype built up around them for no reason but this time it is Turkey. Turkey will do absolutely nothing of note, might sneak one of the 3rd place qualifying slots if they are lucky. Only a complete and utter fool would back them.

:|

I will quote this when you are wrong and they beat or draw with Italy.

FWIW Croatia were runners up in the World Cup, only a complete and utter fool would not know that.

2571 posts