Euro 2020

2571 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Euro 2020

by Sanguine » 15 Jul 2021 08:46

Agreed. Probably little chance we'd get it anyway, what with the joint Spain/Portugal bid, and/or the Morocco bid and the possibility of a first World Cup in North Africa. But after these scenes at the final, not a chance in hell.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Jul 2021 08:56

Sanguine Agreed. Probably little chance we'd get it anyway, what with the joint Spain/Portugal bid, and/or the Morocco bid and the possibility of a first World Cup in North Africa. But after these scenes at the final, not a chance in hell.

It is too early to rule it out and remember money talks in the football world. Qatar have a history of human rights abuses and are anti homosexual, they got the World Cup. South Africa with all of its politcal issues got the World Cup, Brazil got it in 2014 with a huge amount of crime and general danger in and around the stadiums.

I guess what I am saying is all countries have issues and possible reasons why they shouldn't host, us included. If you just take our stadia, faciilities, transport links into consideration we should be in pole position to host so we have that in our favour. Yes the country made an arse of itself during the final but I don't think it will happen again on that scale. If we can prove we have learnt the lessons and show we have plans in place to stop it again then there is no reason we shouldn't host.

That being said I can see Morocco getting it for the reason you outlined. I think Africa deserves another World Cup.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 15 Jul 2021 11:22

NathStPaul
Sanguine Agreed. Probably little chance we'd get it anyway, what with the joint Spain/Portugal bid, and/or the Morocco bid and the possibility of a first World Cup in North Africa. But after these scenes at the final, not a chance in hell.

It is too early to rule it out and remember money talks in the football world. Qatar have a history of human rights abuses and are anti homosexual, they got the World Cup. South Africa with all of its politcal issues got the World Cup, Brazil got it in 2014 with a huge amount of crime and general danger in and around the stadiums.

I guess what I am saying is all countries have issues and possible reasons why they shouldn't host, us included. If you just take our stadia, faciilities, transport links into consideration we should be in pole position to host so we have that in our favour. Yes the country made an arse of itself during the final but I don't think it will happen again on that scale. If we can prove we have learnt the lessons and show we have plans in place to stop it again then there is no reason we shouldn't host.

That being said I can see Morocco getting it for the reason you outlined. I think Africa deserves another World Cup.

FIFA clearly don't care about human rights or politics.

They care about
-people getting to and from the game without dying.
-people not dying in crushes in and around the ground.
-matches having to be delayed/called off because of crowd trouble.

Political controversy in SA government doesn't impact on the running of football matches, and violent crime in South America can be solved with a relatively simple police presence around and on the transport to and from stadia.

What makes you think it won't happen again on that scale?
England fans have been behaving this way at European tournaments since Germany 2006 and before. What makes you think anything will change by 2030? How can the FA prove to FIFA it won't happen again, especially when (and I'm calling it now) England fans behave in exactly the same way in Euro 2024 in Germany?

If you can't organise a final, how can you organise a tournament?

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 16 Jul 2021 23:52

There’s no fukking way this country will get a World Cup.

To do that you have to be prepared to doll our millions of pounds in bribes just to get votes that count from places like Trinidad and Tobago. And whilst we’re living in one of the most corruptly run countries on the planet, none of these FIFA chaps in far flung places went to Eton.

The Saudi Bid, if it happens, will be those Sheiks bankrolling the bid with little financial scrutiny, whilst Italy lends them some footballing credence. Bunga bunga in the desert.

I hope we have some balls and bail out of the 2022 WC after qualifying.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 17 Jul 2021 06:22

Scutterbucketz There’s no fukking way this country will get a World Cup.

To do that you have to be prepared to doll our millions of pounds in bribes just to get votes that count from places like Trinidad and Tobago. And whilst we’re living in one of the most corruptly run countries on the planet, none of these FIFA chaps in far flung places went to Eton.

The Saudi Bid, if it happens, will be those Sheiks bankrolling the bid with little financial scrutiny, whilst Italy lends them some footballing credence. Bunga bunga in the desert.

I hope we have some balls and bail out of the 2022 WC after qualifying.

We won't bail out the Wc. We will wear t shirts or something and then still play. I think Norway have flounced on their decision to flounce now aswell.

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 17 Jul 2021 06:53

I agree Simmops. Good point.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Jul 2021 08:37

Scutterbucketz And whilst we’re living in one of the most corruptly run countries on the planet...

Nonsense.

Scutterbucketz I hope we have some balls and bail out of the 2022 WC after qualifying.

Nonsense.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 17 Jul 2021 09:43

Royal Rother
Scutterbucketz And whilst we’re living in one of the most corruptly run countries on the planet...

Nonsense.

Scutterbucketz I hope we have some balls and bail out of the 2022 WC after qualifying.

Nonsense.

However, the bar for the first is unbelievably low and we are making corruption a career choice

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 17 Jul 2021 10:33

Royal Rother

Nonsense.

Nonsense.

LOL. How is it nonsense? Open your eyes.

See if you can name another and provide an example of another country so openly siphoning off billions of pounds to their friends, donors and ex school chums.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jul 2021 12:25

Royal Rother

Nonsense.

Nonsense.

The first one is, though corruption amidst the Tory ranks in particular seems rampant and blatant.

The second would be ideal in my opinion.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jul 2021 12:27

Scutterbucketz
Royal Rother

Nonsense.

Nonsense.

See if you can name another and provide an example of another country so openly siphoning off billions of pounds to their friends, donors and ex school chums.

Brazil, Hungary, Turkey, Russia, US.

That's five in a heartbeat.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jul 2021 12:32

Belarus, China, N Korea, Libya, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, South Africa

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jul 2021 12:37

Hattrick:

UK actually rated 11th on the least corrupt countries index* last year. *perception of corruption

Bottom 10
Haiti
North Korea
Libya
Equatorial Guinea
Sudan
Venezuela
Yemen
Syria
Somalia
South Sudan

There's plenty to criticise without going full on Flid and undermining that criticism with outlandishly ludicrous hyperbole

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 17 Jul 2021 13:52

Agreed Ian

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 17 Jul 2021 13:54

Snowflake Royal
Scutterbucketz
Royal Rother
Nonsense.

Nonsense.

Brazil, Hungary, Turkey, Russia, US.

That's five in a heartbeat.

Russia definately and nobody boycott that world cup

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 17 Jul 2021 14:12

Snowflake Royal Hattrick:

UK actually rated 11th on the least corrupt countries index* last year. *perception of corruption

Bottom 10
Haiti
North Korea
Libya
Equatorial Guinea
Sudan
Venezuela
Yemen
Syria
Somalia
South Sudan

There's plenty to criticise without going full on Flid and undermining that criticism with outlandishly ludicrous hyperbole

Ah, such illustrious company there; Somailia, South Sudan, Syria, North Korea, the UK. Wonderful.

Besides, I said one of the most. And we are. If your looking for specifics I’ll say the most corrupt Western European country. Does it make it any better? This “it could be worse” attitude is what is destroying this country. People happy to list a bunch of shit hole countries they wouldn’t even want to spend a weekend in, just to show the the UK isn’t the worst place going. It’s a pathetic mindset that will fukk us for generations. Perhaps if people got upset about how much better things could be we’d start getting somewhere.

Plus I asked for examples, so please give me just one example where one of those countries has spaffed the sort of billions we have on T&T.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 17 Jul 2021 14:46

Scutterbucketz

Bottom 10
Haiti
North Korea
Libya
Equatorial Guinea
Sudan
Venezuela
Yemen
Syria
Somalia
South Sudan

Ah, such illustrious company there; Somailia, South Sudan, Syria, North Korea, the UK. Wonderful.

Besides, I said one of the most. And we are. If your looking for specifics I’ll say the most corrupt Western European country. Does it make it any better? This “it could be worse” attitude is what is destroying this country. People happy to list a bunch of shit hole countries they wouldn’t even want to spend a weekend in, just to show the the UK isn’t the worst place going. It’s a pathetic mindset that will fukk us for generations. Perhaps if people got upset about how much better things could be we’d start getting somewhere.

Plus I asked for examples, so please give me just one example where one of those countries has spaffed the sort of billions we have on T&T.

Mogadishu is quite nice to go to over the May bank holiday weekend I have you know.

Got a real rhythm and pulse to it, especially Baakahara Market.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jul 2021 16:28

Scutterbucketz

Bottom 10
Haiti
North Korea
Libya
Equatorial Guinea
Sudan
Venezuela
Yemen
Syria
Somalia
South Sudan

I've literally just given you details of a corruption index where we're the 11th best in the world. Out of about 180. Those ten aren't our company. They're about 160 places BELOW us.

Have you heard of Berlusconi? He ran Italy for years.

You do talk some utter shite Scutz

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 17 Jul 2021 21:01

Come back to me with the figures after the Great Covid Con please.

It’ll make Belusconi look like a kid with his hand in the church plate.

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 22 Jul 2021 03:11

Not strictly euros but interesting to see Mexico team punished for fans saying the Puto chant which in some rarely used term is offensive to gays. Then you have Hungary being punished because of their fans after the euros. The players are forced to take gay re-education training and also have to play games without fans. Then you have England whose fans were according to some sources, pretty racist, towards to their own team. And nothing from governing bodies. :?:

2571 posts