World Cup 2022 qualifying begins

410 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: World Cup 2022 qualifying begins

by Hendo » 03 Feb 2022 10:08

Sanguine Canada beat El Salvador last night and are now only a point from only their second ever World Cup. They are unbeaten in 15 qualifying matches, conceding only six goals, so they will hope to earn that point in their next match, in Costa Rica.

USA beat Honduras 3-0 and stay second in the qualifying section - a standard result, but the match notable for two Honduras players being substituted at half-time due to suffering from the extreme cold. Some players wore balaclavas and leggings as temperatures in Minnesota fell to -16C during the game. :shock:

Where did the US play that game? Surprised that US Bank Stadium isn't dual purpose - would've been ideal, it being indoors and that.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Feb 2022 10:11

Hendo
Sanguine Canada beat El Salvador last night and are now only a point from only their second ever World Cup. They are unbeaten in 15 qualifying matches, conceding only six goals, so they will hope to earn that point in their next match, in Costa Rica.

USA beat Honduras 3-0 and stay second in the qualifying section - a standard result, but the match notable for two Honduras players being substituted at half-time due to suffering from the extreme cold. Some players wore balaclavas and leggings as temperatures in Minnesota fell to -16C during the game. :shock:

Where did the US play that game? Surprised that US Bank Stadium isn't dual purpose - would've been ideal, it being indoors and that.

Allianz Field, home to Minnesota United FC. The US national team rotate through a number of stadiums, this the first in Minnesota for a couple of years.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Feb 2022 14:59

Interesting new twist on Bolivia playing at altitude, that one, playing in Minnesota in the middle of winter.

Apparently they picked Minnesota because anywhere else outside the frozen North was too far to fly from Canada where they'd played at the weekend.

I'm calling bullshit on that one.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Feb 2022 16:55

Ukraine Vs Scotland play off next month could be in doubt?

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 26 Feb 2022 10:20

Poland refusd to play against Russia. Lets see how Fifa deal with this.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 Feb 2022 10:31

Loafer Poland refusd to play against Russia. Lets see how Fifa deal with this.

Sweden and Czech Republic will also refuse to play Russia.

UEFA has a precedent here; they kicked Yugoslavia out of the 1992 Euro's so it seems pretty clear that FIFA should be kicking Russia out of the World Cup, and UEFA doesn't allow them to compete in the next Euro's.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 26 Feb 2022 11:26

Mr Angry
Loafer Poland refusd to play against Russia. Lets see how Fifa deal with this.

Sweden and Czech Republic will also refuse to play Russia.

UEFA has a precedent here; they kicked Yugoslavia out of the 1992 Euro's so it seems pretty clear that FIFA should be kicking Russia out of the World Cup, and UEFA doesn't allow them to compete in the next Euro's.

Yeah but money

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Feb 2022 19:01

Fair fooks to the Polish national team, nearly every player to a man refusing to play.

FIFA, just throw Russia out of everything football.

Worldwide ostracisation until this Putin madness ends….nobody needs this shit right now

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 26 Feb 2022 20:59

Not just football but all sport

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 27 Feb 2022 18:31

Franchise FC Not just football but all sport

Indeed

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 27 Feb 2022 19:46

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Feb 2022 19:48

AthleticoSpizz Fair fooks to the Polish national team, nearly every player to a man refusing to play.

FIFA, just throw Russia out of everything football.

Worldwide ostracisation until this Putin madness ends….nobody needs this shit right now

Well so far FIFA have decreed that:

No games will be played in Russia and that Russia cannot compete.

However, the Football Union of Russia will be able to compete.

Poland have already told FIFA to fcuk right off.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 Feb 2022 20:22

FIFA bottling it (as expected)….meanwhile the ‘football family’ unites.

Fcuk Russia in all names, shapes and forms.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Feb 2022 20:39

Making Russia a pariah in international sport is absolutely the way to go. It will hurt Putin. Hit him hard. Ban Russia from the World Cup, The Olympics, The Euros, The Nations League etc etc.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Feb 2022 21:12

Shame these teams haven't taken the same approach to going to Qatar.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 28 Feb 2022 09:00

FIFA - and especially Infantino - have shown themselves to be as corrupt and as spineless as we all feared.

There cannot be any justification in allowing the football team of any nation that has just invaded a neighbour to be allowed to carry on in a FIFA sanctioned competition, and yet, here we are.

Presumably as all of the 3 teams that will/could face Russia in the play offs have said they won't play them, that means that Russia will get a bye into the Finals, and will be allowed to compete at the World Cup Finals; a shameful disgrace and all the affilated FA's should boycott the World Cup if that happens.

There is - again - a precedent for this; in qualifying for the 1974 World Cup, The Soviet Union (as was) had a play-off against a South American team for the last place. That was Chile, who the previous Year had seen a military coup depose and murder the left wing Chilean President, Allende. As a result, the Soviet Union refused to play Chile, and so Chile were awarded the place and competed in the West Germany World Cup of 74.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 28 Feb 2022 12:27

I think a ban is coming. Agree that it is overdue and that this is pathetic from FIFA, but I think it's a bit of a warning to Putin. If the conflict escalates further and/or isn't resolved shortly, I expect Russia will be booted out entirely.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 28 Feb 2022 12:28

Sanguine I think a ban is coming. Agree that it is overdue and that this is pathetic from FIFA, but I think it's a bit of a warning to Putin. If the conflict escalates further and/or isn't resolved shortly, I expect Russia will be booted out entirely.

I feel extremely sorry for the players in that situation, it is very unfair on them but I cannot see an alternative sadly.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 28 Feb 2022 12:32

NathStPaul
Sanguine I think a ban is coming. Agree that it is overdue and that this is pathetic from FIFA, but I think it's a bit of a warning to Putin. If the conflict escalates further and/or isn't resolved shortly, I expect Russia will be booted out entirely.

I feel extremely sorry for the players in that situation, it is very unfair on them but I cannot see an alternative sadly.

I have some sympathy for Russian sportspeople. But something striking, and it was the same with the doping scandal, is how few such athletes are willing to speak out against Putin. It's telling that it is moreso 'international' athletes like tennis players who feel free to do so (Medvedev and Rublev have both done so this week). But more broadly, silence is deafening.
Last edited by Sanguine on 28 Feb 2022 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 28 Feb 2022 12:41

Sanguine
NathStPaul

I have some sympathy for Russian sportspeople. But something striking, and it was the same with the doping scandal, is how few such athletes are willing to speak out against Putin. It's telling that it is moreso 'international' athletes like tennis players who feel free to do so (Medvedev and Vasley have both done so this week). But more broadly, silence is deafening.

It is very hard to do, not sure what I'd do in their situation. They have their families to think of who could easily be targetted if they speak out against Putin. The national football team is of course also controlled by the central government so any sort of collective statement is nigh on impossible to make.

410 posts