British Isles World Cup 2030

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

British Isles World Cup 2030

by Mr Angry » 02 Mar 2021 17:06

I haven't been able to spot a thread on this; if there is one, please close this one down.

Announced today that the Government will be backing a British Isles bid for the 2030 World Cup, with Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and The Republic of Ireland in a joint bid with England.

Obviously, 4 of the 5 nations have the infrastructure to host games (Northern Ireland would need to build a new stadium as Windsor Park won't be within the criteria of capacity), whilst we have the transport links and the hotel capacities.......but we all know it is unlikely to come here as FIFA look to "spread the game" across the World............

The timeline for the decision is:

2022 - bids open
2023 - all brown envelopes to be delivered
2024 - decision made to give it to China.

(or am I being too cynical??)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: British Isles World Cup 2030

by Zip » 02 Mar 2021 17:48

I dunno. It has a chance because if this goes down the usual route it will be Europe’s turn in 2030. We are also due another World Cup on these shores.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Mar 2021 17:51

I'm surprised that the recent re-development of WP didn't make it big enough to hold a game for a big tournament. Maybe they'd do some further re-development for it.

I'd oxf*rd love for there to be a World Cup in England/UK. Wasn't old enough to remember Euro 96 but looking at videos and talking to my family about it, it sounded great.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Mar 2021 17:58

Zip I dunno. It has a chance because if this goes down the usual route it will be Europe’s turn in 2030. We are also due another World Cup on these shores.

It really is utterly ridiculous that by 2030 the World Cup finals will have visited Mexico 3 times, and the USA and Germany twice since England had the British Isles’ one and only shot at it despite being the “home” of the game and having made several bids.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Mar 2021 18:31

Sutekh
Zip I dunno. It has a chance because if this goes down the usual route it will be Europe’s turn in 2030. We are also due another World Cup on these shores.

It really is utterly ridiculous that by 2030 the World Cup finals will have visited Mexico 3 times, and the USA and Germany twice since England had the British Isles’ one and only shot at it despite being the “home” of the game and having made several bids.

I’m ok with Mexico and Germany as both are authentic footballing nations and Mexico stepped in to host 1986 late in the day. The US is another matter altogether. The vast majority of Americans don’t have any interest in “soccer” and it’s wrong they have hosted twice whilst we have only had it the once. We are due.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Mar 2021 18:33

Hendo I'm surprised that the recent re-development of WP didn't make it big enough to hold a game for a big tournament. Maybe they'd do some further re-development for it.

I'd oxf*rd love for there to be a World Cup in England/UK. Wasn't old enough to remember Euro 96 but looking at videos and talking to my family about it, it sounded great.

1996 was great and came at the right time to increase the momentum from the 90 World Cup. Didn’t go to any games but really enjoyed it on the box and the football’s coming home stuff just felt right.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 02 Mar 2021 21:06

How would 5 host nations affect qualifying?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Mar 2021 21:07

Silver Fox How would 5 host nations affect qualifying?

No one knows. I’m hoping it means automatic qualification for the finals for all the hosts but that’s a big ask. It will be the only way I get to see Wales in the finals.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 03 Mar 2021 09:10

Hendo I'm surprised that the recent re-development of WP didn't make it big enough to hold a game for a big tournament. Maybe they'd do some further re-development for it.

Windsor Park has an18,500 capacity currently.

The FIFA criteria states that a minimum 40,000 capacity is needed to stage WC finals group games:

"FIFA have had strict stadium guideline requirements since at least 2001. Stadiums must have a capacity of at least 40,000, stadiums hosting quarter-finals must have a minimum of 60,000 and those hosting the opening ceremony or final must have a capacity of at least 80,000. In addition, stadiums must have a minimum number of television camera stands and media areas and also be free of advertising throughout the World Cup. This includes stadium names - for instance, during the 2006 World Cup, German stadiums such as Allianz Arena were renamed "FIFA World Cup Stadium - Munich" for licensing reasons"

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 03 Mar 2021 09:15

Mr Angry

The FIFA criteria states that a minimum 40,000 capacity is needed to stage WC finals group games:

"FIFA have had strict stadium guideline requirements since at least 2001. Stadiums must have a capacity of at least 40,000, stadiums hosting quarter-finals must have a minimum of 60,000 and those hosting the opening ceremony or final must have a capacity of at least 80,000. In addition, stadiums must have a minimum number of television camera stands and media areas and also be free of advertising throughout the World Cup. This includes stadium names - for instance, during the 2006 World Cup, German stadiums such as Allianz Arena were renamed "FIFA World Cup Stadium - Munich" for licensing reasons"

Reading up on this yesterday, the chances of this happening are slim to anorexic; firstly, there is a joint South American bid for Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and Chile (Centenary of the first World Cup Finals in Uruguay); there is going to be a joint Spain/Portugal bid (and we know how much FIFA adores Latin Countries....) and then there is likely to be a bid from China, and given FIFA's desire to spread the word, China is seen as the most likely destination for 2030.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Mar 2021 13:48

Mr Angry
Mr Angry

Reading up on this yesterday, the chances of this happening are slim to anorexic; firstly, there is a joint South American bid for Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and Chile (Centenary of the first World Cup Finals in Uruguay); there is going to be a joint Spain/Portugal bid (and we know how much FIFA adores Latin Countries....) and then there is likely to be a bid from China, and given FIFA's desire to spread the word, China is seen as the most likely destination for 2030.

Given that all the money in football really comes out of Europe you’d think 1 in 3 finals would be held in the continent.

This particular bid won’t succeed as a) England are involved and b) even though I have no doubt FIFA will have upped the number of finalists to 48 or something stupid by then they won’t allow 5 free passes to the finals.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Mar 2021 22:56

It's a political PR move and nothing more

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 28 Mar 2021 17:41

We’ll get another go at World Cup Finals when we can sort out our drunken binge drinking street violence.

So never.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 07 Jul 2021 23:49

I'd like a couple of token games to be given to the Isle of Man and Jersey.

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 07 Jul 2021 23:58

With the politics surrounding Brexit I have a hard time believing nations within the EU would back such a bid. Not sure the logistics of having 5 nations automatically qualified.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Jul 2021 07:47

fartdad With the politics surrounding Brexit I have a hard time believing nations within the EU would back such a bid. Not sure the logistics of having 5 nations automatically qualified.

Really not sure anyone outside of the UK has given Brexit even a moments thought outside of 5 minutes in 2016

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Jul 2021 08:21

Ridiculous PR stunt by UKG. England could host it on its own, and only Scotland, with 4, has the stadia to offer anything other than a token involvement.

NI has none, Wales has 1 with 2 stadia that could potentially be extended and Ireland has 2, 1 of which would need the agreement of the GAA.

And that doesn't even consider the folly of having 5 host qualifiers, who would all be seeded.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Jul 2021 08:28

Zip
Sutekh

I’m ok with Mexico and Germany as both are authentic footballing nations and Mexico stepped in to host 1986 late in the day. The US is another matter altogether. The vast majority of Americans don’t have any interest in “soccer” and it’s wrong they have hosted twice whilst we have only had it the once. We are due.

Not sure 1983 is that "late in the day". There was talk of it having to be moved from Mexico after a fcuking massive earthquake in 1985.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 Jul 2021 09:15

Green I'd like a couple of token games to be given to the Isle of Man and Jersey.

Isle of Wight deserve one too what with being the biggest land mass constituency and all that.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 08 Jul 2021 09:48

It would make a lot more sense for England to host it, and just dish out some matches to qualifying stadia in the other members of the UK. Then you dont need 4 host nations. Nonsense to suggest NI would get a spot anyway, what with having no qualifying stadia.

Other members of FIFA are already bemused / annoyed that the UK gets 4 memberships as it is. (5 including Gibraltar)

It's already lols that the NI and Welsh FAs combined can veto any change to the laws of the game, even if the rest of the world is in agreement.