Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

2186 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

by URZZZZ » 29 Nov 2022 21:29

Not convinced Foden was fouled at all and Wales were pretty comfortably defensively up until that point but they got what they deserved for such a cowardly approach to the game (and tournament). Allen was England’s best creator in the first half and don’t actually recall Bale touching the ball

Some tough choices for Southgate ahead. Has to choose two between Foden, Saka, Grealish, Rashford and Sterling. Would go for Foden and Saka personally but difficult to drop Rashford after two goals and Sterling is usually a reliable pick for Southgate

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Nov 2022 21:30

Ascotexgunner
Zip
genome Don't really get the Welsh game plan. You only need a win. Surely you go for it from the off, and try and establish a lead to defend rather than sit back and let England dictate play.

The one thing we absolutely had to do was high press. Yet we did nothing of the sort. It was more than that though. Our passing was embarrassing. It was far too easy for England.

Just got in from a wonderful spa day at Nirvana. So I kept my word and didn't see the game.
I can only assume it was as expected, not seen the stats, but from your comment I will say this. Under Giggs we were slowly progressing nicely before the stupid twat decided he wanted to be a jail bird as a change of career. Rob Page has taken over and carried on but we hadn't improved as we had been doing and now it appears it's caught up and we seem to be playing this defensive bullshit drop deep side passing bullshit we see at Reading......The first game to drop Moore was nigh on criminal, our best front man. I'm sorry but I don't think he is the man for the job and we need to come out of this with a plan and build a new young side with someone who knows what they are doing, as we did around 2012. As my relative texted me after the first game "Rob Page has turned into Bobby Gould"

That’s harsh. He is the first manager in our history to properly qualify for a World Cup Finals. Happy to see him manage the team for the Euro qualifiers,

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 29 Nov 2022 21:30

Loafer
Ascotexgunner
Zip

The one thing we absolutely had to do was high press. Yet we did nothing of the sort. It was more than that though. Our passing was embarrassing. It was far too easy for England.

Just got in from a wonderful spa day at Nirvana. So I kept my word and didn't see the game.
I can only assume it was as expected, not seen the stats, but from your comment I will say this. Under Giggs we were slowly progressing nicely before the stupid twat decided he wanted to be a jail bird as a change of career. Rob Page has taken over and carried on but we hadn't improved as we had been doing and now it appears it's caught up and we seem to be playing this defensive bullshit drop deep side passing bullshit we see at Reading......The first game to drop Moore was nigh on criminal, our best front man. I'm sorry but I don't think he is the man for the job and we need to come out of this with a plan and build a new young side with someone who knows what they are doing, as we did around 2012. As my relative texted me after the first game "Rob Page has turned into Bobby Gould"

Don't believe for 1 seconds you haven't watched any games or listened to any or caught any highlights

You and Ian will watch if England get to the semis and final :lol:

Caught the highlights with no sound in a couple of pubs and that's about it. I've not seen one live game.....
Good luck to England though, with the EFL back soon I'll be concentrating on that....if they get to the final I might channel flick. :D

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 29 Nov 2022 21:33

Ascotexgunner
Loafer
Ascotexgunner

Don't believe for 1 seconds you haven't watched any games or listened to any or caught any highlights

You and Ian will watch if England get to the semis and final :lol:

Caught the highlights with no sound in a couple of pubs and that's about it. I've not seen one live game.....
Good luck to England though, with the EFL back soon I'll be concentrating on that....if they get to the final I might channel flick. :D

I knew it! You watched it!!!!!

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 29 Nov 2022 21:34

Oh oxf*rd when we beat Switzerland or whoever it is next round we need to play France or France or Argentina :shock:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Nov 2022 21:38

URZZZZ Not convinced Foden was fouled at all and Wales were pretty comfortably defensively up until that point but they got what they deserved for such a cowardly approach to the game (and tournament). Allen was England’s best creator in the first half and don’t actually recall Bale touching the ball

Some tough choices for Southgate ahead. Has to choose two between Foden, Saka, Grealish, Rashford and Sterling. Would go for Foden and Saka personally but difficult to drop Rashford after two goals and Sterling is usually a reliable pick for Southgate

Agree with all of this. Foden dived for the free-kick. However if you are the team constantly on the offensive then at some stage you will have a decision go your way. If you are constantly on the defensive you can expect a decision to go against you.

This is where Southgate needs to keep the players focused. I think Senegal will be a really tough game. They have impressed me and will be a much tougher opponent than we were.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 29 Nov 2022 21:40

Zip
Ascotexgunner
Zip

That’s harsh. He is the first manager in our history to properly qualify for a World Cup Finals. Happy to see him manage the team for the Euro qualifiers,

Harsh I know but I wasn't happy with him in the Euros when the tough end came. He played a weakened team against Italy and at one point we could have been eliminated when the other result went against us. I think it's amazing we got there though, just a shame it was this world cup and we performed so badly. We shall see when the Euro qualifiers start, though. I hope he is more positive and less loyal.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Nov 2022 21:49

Loafer Oh oxf*rd when we beat Switzerland or whoever it is next round we need to play France or France or Argentina :shock:

Anyone would think this was a World Cup.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Nov 2022 21:57

Ascotexgunner
Zip
Ascotexgunner

Harsh I know but I wasn't happy with him in the Euros when the tough end came. He played a weakened team against Italy and at one point we could have been eliminated when the other result went against us. I think it's amazing we got there though, just a shame it was this world cup and we performed so badly. We shall see when the Euro qualifiers start, though. I hope he is more positive and less loyal.

Agree 100% with that final sentence.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Nov 2022 22:03

Zip Senegal will be a much sterner game for England on Sunday.

Qatar would’ve been a much sterner test, etc… :wink:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Nov 2022 22:11

Hendo

I’m most disappointed in this comment Hendopops.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 29 Nov 2022 22:13

Wales did well to get to Qatar. Sure they’d have probably have preferred Bale and Allen from 5-6 years ago but it’s another major tournament. Hope to see them ruffle a few feathers at the next one.

I hope we go for a back 4 and Rice defensively, with more attacking midfielders for Senegal. Don’t mind if we revert to a more defensive shape should we get to the quarters, those games tend to be tight affairs anyway.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Nov 2022 22:29

Tails Wales did well to get to Qatar. Sure they’d have probably have preferred Bale and Allen from 5-6 years ago but it’s another major tournament. Hope to see them ruffle a few feathers at the next one.

I hope we go for a back 4 and Rice defensively, with more attacking midfielders for Senegal. Don’t mind if we revert to a more defensive shape should we get to the quarters, those games tend to be tight affairs anyway.

It will be interesting to see which way Southgate goes with his selection. I think Foden now starts. Don’t think he will make many changes from tonight’s starting line up.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Nov 2022 06:36

Zip
Hendo

I’m most disappointed in this comment Hendopops.

:D it was an open door, I just had to walk through.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Nov 2022 08:01

Well in the end, England qualified comfortably - currently top scorers in the tournament - realistically only Spain look like scoring the same or more (unless France win 3-0 or better).

Noticeable how in the two games where they were on the front foot more, they look decent and capable of scoring a lot of goals but in the US game where the set up was very much, don't lose they looked pedestrian and not much cop.

They are very unlikely to win it but they should have enough to see off Senegal, if they set up to be positive.

Southgate's tournament record is frankly ridiculously good, last night being his 10th win from 16 tournament games and in my view, if he steers England to the semis again (esp as that will involve likely having to get past France), then he gets another 2 years.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 30 Nov 2022 08:10

Clubs to have supplied England goals in World Cups:

17 Spurs
14 Man Utd
13 Liverpool
7 West Ham
6 Everton, Man City
5 Newcastle
4 Wolves
3 Bolton, Arsenal
2 Leeds, Chelsea, Villa, Preston, West Brom
1 Blackpool, Derby, Leicester, Middlebrough, Ipswich, Fulham, Inter Milan, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Nov 2022 08:38

Stranded Well in the end, England qualified comfortably - currently top scorers in the tournament - realistically only Spain look like scoring the same or more (unless France win 3-0 or better).

Noticeable how in the two games where they were on the front foot more, they look decent and capable of scoring a lot of goals but in the US game where the set up was very much, don't lose they looked pedestrian and not much cop.

They are very unlikely to win it but they should have enough to see off Senegal, if they set up to be positive.

Southgate's tournament record is frankly ridiculously good, last night being his 10th win from 16 tournament games and in my view, if he steers England to the semis again (esp as that will involve likely having to get past France), then he gets another 2 years.

+1 but the moaners will want him out

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Nov 2022 08:52

Stranded Well in the end, England qualified comfortably - currently top scorers in the tournament - realistically only Spain look like scoring the same or more (unless France win 3-0 or better).

Yeah we seem to look better after getting a goal, getting some momentum and going after teams. Criticisers, be it rightly or wrongly, will say that's how we should be playing against most sides and I suppose there's a degree of truth in that really, we look quite passive and laboured up until we score and then we seem to be very ruthless after that. Admittedly, it's hard to keep that tempo up in tournament football when you're playing every few days.

I wouldn't say we are "very unlikely" to win it, there is only really France, Brazil and Spain that look any cop from the teams you'd expect to reach the latter stages. I'm not sure how good Spain would look against better opposition, as shown by Germany the other day, Brazil were comfortable yet unconvincing against Switzerland but France have looked strong again. It's not beyond the realms of possibility for us to win it, although I don't think we will.

A QF defeat to France would be "acceptable" as they do look strong once again, but if we go beyond that then we've done really well.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 30 Nov 2022 08:56

Interesting you use the word ‘they’ when referring to England, rather than ‘we’. I know you’ve lived in Germany for a number of years now. But you are English, no? You’re using the wrong pronoun.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Nov 2022 09:01

Zip

+1 but the moaners will want him out

Yep - because the team sometimes don't play well and a couple of big defeats in a competition that no-one apparently cares about. Crazy.

Other interesting* stat - in the last 2 World Cups, England have scored 21 goals to date. Between 1998 and 2014, they managed 24 in total. So despite all the unhappiness at a slightly defensive set up at times, something is clearly working.

2186 posts