Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

2186 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

by Winston Biscuit » 30 Nov 2022 12:35

windermereROYAL Sorry if this has been posted before, but televised WC since 1998 BBC 16 games 12 wins. ITV 15 games 2 wins.
Guess what channel it is on Sunday.

Men & Motors?

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 30 Nov 2022 12:37

Winston Biscuit World cup top scorers:

3 - Rashford (36 mins per goal)]
3 - Mbappe (60 mins per goal)
3 - Gakpo (84 mins per goal)
3 - Valencia (85 mins per goal)

United player and united target in that list 8)

we're bossing the WC at the mo

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Nov 2022 12:45

URZZZZ
Sutekh
bcubed
These comments actually support the view that we missed opportunities against Croatia and Italy. We didn't play aggressive positive football. And the players are there to do it, as they've just shown.

Yes of course we did so much better than in previous tournaments but the nagging doubt remains that these were massive chances to win.

And that is where the frustration with Southgate's (historical) tactics comes from.

This is pretty much it and why many will say England achieved semi final and runners up places despite him and not because of him. With the squad England have you have to play to its strengths which are attacking and winning set pieces, if the “don’t concede” approach is tried for any length of time against any team that’s half decent England will be in trouble.

Perhaps the dismal performance v the US, the earlier failures v Croatia and Italy will wake GS up a bit and just may be he won’t revert to type when France most likely roll up for the QF game (presuming England don’t cock up v Senegal of course) as the thought of trying to play safetyball against Giroud, Griezmann and Mbappe doesn’t bear thinking about - esp. as I don’t think the French defence is the strongest about the world game at the moment so there would be opportunities to be had with a more positive approach.

Personally think whilst there’s all this to and fro about us setting up defensively (even as top scorers - the irony), the more prevalent issue is our reluctance to take a man on. Too many slow square passes in the first half. Second half we swap wingers, Foden runs through them, wins a free kick (even with it being a dive) and we score. Being direct hurts the opposition and credit to Southgate for swapping the wide players at half time (something that has been scarcely mentioned of course)

I think the defensive set us does come from that reluctance to be direct and have a go at players. A friend on mine made a comment last night, "Wales will just look to hurt Kane and injure him for the tournament" and I actually thought, that might make us better. Kane's assist for Foden was great last night and part of what he's about, but thinking about it this morning, that should be the other way around, Foden to Kane. Sometimes with Kane dropping in, we end up with like a 4-6-0 shape, it becomes too easy to defend against.

The difference with someone like Rashford is you can play a more direct style, you can look to play forward and through the lines because you know that he will be wanting to run in behind, he will stretch the game vertically, he will always give the opposition CB's a problem and a threat through that area and he can run the channels and get at players. Maybe at the cost of having Kane who is obviously excellent at what he does, but I think we try and get Kane "too involved" in the build-up and less involved in his bread and butter, which is putting the ball in the net and stating central, occupying CB's etc.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 30 Nov 2022 13:30

paultheroyal England were brilliant last night i thought. I actually thought they were decent in the first half. Totally dictated that half, just lacked the cutting edge, pass etc.

Tweak in the second half and they were utterly dominant. Fantastic display.

As for Wales, utterly dreadful. What were they thinking? They clearly wrote off the 4-0 win before the game so tactic was to frustrate and score late and panic England in the hope that Iran vs USA was a draw. They thought that was the more likely outcome. Would of been hilarious if Iran did equalise and oh boy did they have some chances. Wales devoid of idea, attacking play, could not even string any passes together. It was very strange. Page saying how proud he was of that performance, dreary me.

Anyway, onto the next one, tournament football at its best.

"Brilliant", "fantastic?".

A bit of perspective perhaps playing against a side that contrived to lose to Iran.
It was a bit like Liverpool or City lining up against Reading or Rotherham-the gulf in quality of player was enormous.

I take the point that you can only beat what's in front of you and all that but IMHO there was nothing "brilliant" or "fantastic" beating what was at times just a 9 man team and the rest mainly of non Premier League standard with 2 Bournemouth and 2 Forest players :wink: amongst their numbers.

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 30 Nov 2022 14:59

YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ
Sutekh
This is pretty much it and why many will say England achieved semi final and runners up places despite him and not because of him. With the squad England have you have to play to its strengths which are attacking and winning set pieces, if the “don’t concede” approach is tried for any length of time against any team that’s half decent England will be in trouble.

Perhaps the dismal performance v the US, the earlier failures v Croatia and Italy will wake GS up a bit and just may be he won’t revert to type when France most likely roll up for the QF game (presuming England don’t cock up v Senegal of course) as the thought of trying to play safetyball against Giroud, Griezmann and Mbappe doesn’t bear thinking about - esp. as I don’t think the French defence is the strongest about the world game at the moment so there would be opportunities to be had with a more positive approach.

Personally think whilst there’s all this to and fro about us setting up defensively (even as top scorers - the irony), the more prevalent issue is our reluctance to take a man on. Too many slow square passes in the first half. Second half we swap wingers, Foden runs through them, wins a free kick (even with it being a dive) and we score. Being direct hurts the opposition and credit to Southgate for swapping the wide players at half time (something that has been scarcely mentioned of course)

I think the defensive set us does come from that reluctance to be direct and have a go at players. A friend on mine made a comment last night, "Wales will just look to hurt Kane and injure him for the tournament" and I actually thought, that might make us better. Kane's assist for Foden was great last night and part of what he's about, but thinking about it this morning, that should be the other way around, Foden to Kane. Sometimes with Kane dropping in, we end up with like a 4-6-0 shape, it becomes too easy to defend against.

The difference with someone like Rashford is you can play a more direct style, you can look to play forward and through the lines because you know that he will be wanting to run in behind, he will stretch the game vertically, he will always give the opposition CB's a problem and a threat through that area and he can run the channels and get at players. Maybe at the cost of having Kane who is obviously excellent at what he does, but I think we try and get Kane "too involved" in the build-up and less involved in his bread and butter, which is putting the ball in the net and stating central, occupying CB's etc.

I've watched United enough to tell you that Rashford is not a number 9.

He's best off the left but not so good off the right. Like you say he's gr8 at getting in behind and is usually v good at one on ones with the keeper

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Nov 2022 15:05

Conservative_dad
YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ

I've watched United enough to tell you that Rashford is not a number 9.

He's best off the left but not so good off the right. Like you say he's gr8 at getting in behind and is usually v good at one on ones with the keeper

Apart from last night, obviously...

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 30 Nov 2022 15:26

YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ
Sutekh

Are we stagnant because Kane drops deep at times or does Kane drop deep at times because we're stagnant? Pretty much the only time we broke the Welsh defence yesterday in the first half was when he dropped deep and slipped a great pass through to Rashford vacating the space he'd left. Likewise in the US game linking up with Saka down the right.

I don't think Kane gets in the penalty area any less anyway. He's just developed this part of his game in the last couple of years and as it turns out he's a very good creative passer given the opportunity.

There's also a little revisionism about that Croatia semi final going on too. We didn't have yer Fodens, Sakas, Grealishs then. We had the likes of Dele Alli, Jesse Lingard and Ashley Young plus Raheem Sterling who everyone now thinks is shit. . All good players actually but not exactly the World Class attacking talent we seem to believe we have at our disposal now.

The Euros ended disappointingly of course and Southgate's handling of the substitutes was criminal in my opinion but we tend to forget that Italy were the best team throughout that tournament. The opposition do turn up and play at times as well.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Nov 2022 15:31

windermereROYAL Sorry if this has been posted before, but televised WC since 1998 BBC 16 games 12 wins. ITV 15 games 2 wins.
Guess what channel it is on Sunday.

Channel 5?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Nov 2022 15:33

Conservative_dad
Winston Biscuit World cup top scorers:

3 - Rashford (36 mins per goal)]
3 - Mbappe (60 mins per goal)
3 - Gakpo (84 mins per goal)
3 - Valencia (85 mins per goal)

United player and united target in that list 8)

we're bossing the WC at the mo

Gakpo is also a Liverpool target if the rumours are to be believed - I presume it’s Gakpo whom you mean given Mbappe will only ever go to Real due to the silly sums of money and Valencia is about 35 or something.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Nov 2022 15:47

Vision
YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ

Are we stagnant because Kane drops deep at times or does Kane drop deep at times because we're stagnant? Pretty much the only time we broke the Welsh defence yesterday in the first half was when he dropped deep and slipped a great pass through to Rashford vacating the space he'd left. Likewise in the US game linking up with Saka down the right.

I don't think Kane gets in the penalty area any less anyway. He's just developed this part of his game in the last couple of years and as it turns out he's a very good creative passer given the opportunity.

There's also a little revisionism about that Croatia semi final going on too. We didn't have yer Fodens, Sakas, Grealishs then. We had the likes of Dele Alli, Jesse Lingard and Ashley Young plus Raheem Sterling who everyone now thinks is shit. . All good players actually but not exactly the World Class attacking talent we seem to believe we have at our disposal now.

The Euros ended disappointingly of course and Southgate's handling of the substitutes was criminal in my opinion but we tend to forget that Italy were the best team throughout that tournament. The opposition do turn up and play at times as well.

If playing France I would expect something a bit more defensive and, as suggested, the gaps minimised between defence and attack so someone like Mbappe has sod all space to run into. But, more then ever, what England need to ensure is that they also have attacking players with pace (tick, got that) and ability/confidence to take opposition players on and beat them which I think is the bit that’s a struggle for the current squad, failing that the passing has to be forwards, accurate and quick rather than the never ending dreadful crabbing about that was on display v the US.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Nov 2022 16:19

Currently

Australia 1-0 Denmark
Tunisia 1-0 France ‘B’

Australia only 3 goals away from winning the group :lol:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 30 Nov 2022 16:29

Vision
YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ

There were plenty of subs (albeit not as good as the current crop) he could have tried against Croatia

And Italy weren't that good and were there for the taking imo. Probably evidenced by the fact they didn't qualify for the WC

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 30 Nov 2022 16:35

Sutekh Currently

Australia 1-0 Denmark
Tunisia 1-0 France ‘B’

Australia only 3 goals away from winning the group :lol:

The French decided to rest a lot of key players - including Mbappe - and have been given a right runaround by the Tunisians who are showing the fight and spirit that Wales sadly lacked last night.

Shows the dangers of resting players when you are already through; they appear to be a one man team.............

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 30 Nov 2022 16:39

3:30 am in Melbourne......................

Federation Square, live pics

https://fedsquare.com/fed-cam

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Nov 2022 16:40

Vision
YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ

Re Kane dropping deep, it's probably 6 of one half a dozen of the other. But there is dropping deep and then dropping really deep. There were times in the USA game where Kane was taking the ball from our CB's and was in the centre circle in our own half, that's taking it too far to the extreme. But if you want your CF to drop off, you need some sort of penetration in behind. Sterling and Saka could/should offer that, but didn't in the USA game and we were all too content to play sideways, slowly and in front of the American defence and their quick pressing made life tough for ourselves. I don't mind playing to Kane's strengths, but having him take the ball off our CB's is too deep, particularly if we don't have willing runners beyond to be direct. It doesn't matter how good a passer someone is if you don't have the movement to open up defences otherwise it's just a keep ball exercise.

Losing to Italy was disappointing, but not unexpected. Could we have beaten them playing a different way? Possibly, but we could have quite easily lost, and I do agree that we lost to the best team in the tournament, Italy were consistently strong throughout. A final is always a tough one to take as, when the game is relatively even like that final was, then you always believe that, on another day, you could beat the other side in a one-off game. I still believe that, if you take that penalty shootout again, we'd probably win 3-2, such is the harshness of football sometimes.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 30 Nov 2022 16:53

bcubed
Vision
YorkshireRoyal99

There were plenty of subs (albeit not as good as the current crop) he could have tried against Croatia

And Italy weren't that good and were there for the taking imo. Probably evidenced by the fact they didn't qualify for the WC

Hmm. Loftus-Cheek maybe? A teenage TAA? perhaps. After that you're left with Danny Welbeck as the only unused attacking option. It definitely wasn't the embarrassment of attacking riches thats being claimed nor is it comparable to what we have (or think we have) now.

We'll have to agree to disagree on how good Italy were during that month. What they subsequently did , doesn't really affect how they were during that tournament.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 30 Nov 2022 17:14

Vision
bcubed
Vision

Hmm. Loftus-Cheek maybe? A teenage TAA? perhaps. After that you're left with Danny Welbeck as the only unused attacking option. It definitely wasn't the embarrassment of attacking riches thats being claimed nor is it comparable to what we have (or think we have) now.

We'll have to agree to disagree on how good Italy were during that month. What they subsequently did , doesn't really affect how they were during that tournament.

The options for the Croatia game weren't as good as now for sure. As i acknowledged. But worth a try when the game's on the line imo.

And also agreed to disagree on Italy.

I'm probably biased as I went to the Final. It was an organisational shambles. We lost. My son picked up Covid. Getting out afterwards was also diabolical. Have never watched it back but my feeling at the time remains that we could have used subs and been more attacking

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 30 Nov 2022 17:43

bcubed
Vision
bcubed

The options for the Croatia game weren't as good as now for sure. As i acknowledged. But worth a try when the game's on the line imo.

And also agreed to disagree on Italy.

I'm probably biased as I went to the Final. It was an organisational shambles. We lost. My son picked up Covid. Getting out afterwards was also diabolical. Have never watched it back but my feeling at the time remains that we could have used subs and been more attacking

'greed on the Italian game. Personally I'd have sacked him there and then for holding Rashford and Sancho back just to take penalties. Absolute nonsense although I'm still not convinced it would have made much difference.

Sorry that what should have been a great experience turned into a truly awful one.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 30 Nov 2022 18:53

BREAKING! Exclusively from Qatar!!!!!

Ben White has left due to personal reasons and will not return, and wishes his privacy is respected.

Hope he's okay

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Nov 2022 19:29

Loafer BREAKING! Exclusively from Qatar!!!!!

Ben White has left due to personal reasons and will not return, and wishes his privacy is respected.

Hope he's okay

Can England call up a replacement (e.g. Tomori) or is that only allowed before a ball is kicked in the tournament?

2186 posts