Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

2186 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

by Royal Rother » 01 Dec 2022 10:09

genome Danny Murphy asks "why haven't Poland showed a bit of fight and got more yellow cards" when the lack of yellow cards is literally the thing keeping them in the tournament

He really is rubbish. And irritating.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 01 Dec 2022 10:24

Stranded
Zip
6ft Kerplunk Poland were awful last night considering they needed a point to guarantee getting through. Switched over to watch the Mexico game after they got their second and they absolutely battered Saudi. Think Saudi only got out of their half a couple of times when I was watching a scored from one of them. If Mexico had played like that against Poland they'd have beaten them easily.

Agreed. I switched over to the Mexico game and was rooting for them to score the third. They didn’t have a lot of luck. Poland were ultra negative. Even at 2 nil down.

That is a consequence of the situation though. When you are 2-0 down and know in the other game your direct rivals are 2-0 up, you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. You push forward for a goal, leave more gaps and suddenly you are 3 down and going out - conversely if Mexico score a 3rd then it will be tough to suddenly get into an attacking mindset to try and nick the goal you now need.

In the end, it worked and Poland get to play one more game before going home unless something quite unexpected happens on Sunday.

For tie breaks, I'm all in favour of swapping out a disciplinary tie break for a shots on target break (or something similar) - guess that is open to a form of abuse by teams just firing tame shots on goal from 35 yards out to rack up their total - maybe result against the 4th placed team. Shame there isn't scope to stick in a play-off when teams can't be separated by GD, goals or H2H.

I don't think the yellow cards way is so bad.
A team picking up yellow cards may well have crocked an opposition player and put him out of the tournament , at the very least they may well have been more guilty of dangerous play than the team with lesser yellows.

It is only a competition of 4 in these group stages and if you haven't been good enough to finish clear 1st or 2nd then you should feel grateful that there is still a chance of progressing even if that means drawing lots.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Dec 2022 11:38

Franchise FC
URZZZZ
windermereROYAL Gutted for Mexico, they would surely have given France a better game

Bit of revisionism here

Mexico were just as poor as Poland were against Argentina. Both created very little with no intention to attack (4 shots from both Mexico and Poland)

Two very similar teams who could only be split by the number of yellow cards (discounting Saudi’s late consolation as Mexico had oiled men forward to score)

So not split by the number of cards then :roll:

:roll: Pointless post

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Dec 2022 11:41

Royal Rother
genome Danny Murphy asks "why haven't Poland showed a bit of fight and got more yellow cards" when the lack of yellow cards is literally the thing keeping them in the tournament

He really is rubbish. And irritating.

Do think it’s difficult as a pundit as you’re micro-analysed to the nth degree but some of the punditry really is poor, Deon Dublin is another one you can add to the list

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Dec 2022 11:58

South Coast Royal
Stranded
Zip
Agreed. I switched over to the Mexico game and was rooting for them to score the third. They didn’t have a lot of luck. Poland were ultra negative. Even at 2 nil down.

That is a consequence of the situation though. When you are 2-0 down and know in the other game your direct rivals are 2-0 up, you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. You push forward for a goal, leave more gaps and suddenly you are 3 down and going out - conversely if Mexico score a 3rd then it will be tough to suddenly get into an attacking mindset to try and nick the goal you now need.

In the end, it worked and Poland get to play one more game before going home unless something quite unexpected happens on Sunday.

For tie breaks, I'm all in favour of swapping out a disciplinary tie break for a shots on target break (or something similar) - guess that is open to a form of abuse by teams just firing tame shots on goal from 35 yards out to rack up their total - maybe result against the 4th placed team. Shame there isn't scope to stick in a play-off when teams can't be separated by GD, goals or H2H.

A team picking up yellow cards may well have crocked an opposition player and put him out of the tournament , at the very least they may well have been more guilty of dangerous play than the team with lesser yellows.

It is only a competition of 4 in these group stages and if you haven't been good enough to finish clear 1st or 2nd then you should feel grateful that there is still a chance of progressing even if that means drawing lots.

Agreed to a point but I think yellow cards is too subjective. The same foul could be committed in 2 separate games. Ref in game 1 deems it a yellow card, ref in game 2 doesn't.

At least a tie break like shots is something the team have control over.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Dec 2022 12:52

Stranded
South Coast Royal
Stranded

Agreed to a point but I think yellow cards is too subjective. The same foul could be committed in 2 separate games. Ref in game 1 deems it a yellow card, ref in game 2 doesn't.

There has long been an issue with shots on target though, in that a shot blocked by a defender is not ordinarily counted as a shot on target, so it would still end up with a subjective element

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 01 Dec 2022 12:55

Argentina looked very good last night but was that just because Poland were so bad?

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 01 Dec 2022 13:07

Stranded
South Coast Royal
Stranded

Just have a penalty shoot out the next morning to decide it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Dec 2022 13:34

Franchise FC
Stranded
South Coast Royal

There has long been an issue with shots on target though, in that a shot blocked by a defender is not ordinarily counted as a shot on target, so it would still end up with a subjective element

Blocked shot doesn't equal a shot on target. You simply go by the official stats or add together the number of saves made against and the number of goals (minus own goals).

It is just one option of course, I quite like using a H2H against the 1 known eliminated team and/or group winner.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Dec 2022 13:49

Stranded
Franchise FC
Stranded

Blocked shot doesn't equal a shot on target. You simply go by the official stats or add together the number of saves made against and the number of goals (minus own goals).

It is just one option of course, I quite like using a H2H against the 1 known eliminated team and/or group winner.

OK, but why wouldn't a shot on target that is blocked by a defender count - that makes it worse than disciplinary, but only my opinion

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Dec 2022 13:50

South Coast Royal
Stranded
Zip

Don’t mind the yellow card decider either but to ever go to drawing lots is just a joke. As it seems you can’t have the fun of a playoff between the 2 teams these days you can instead go by the no. of shots on target and/or corners won when the two teams played each other, if that still fails then the same stat totalled over all 3 games and so on until there really is no other way to decide - and even then how about penalties over a zoom connection if the teams are in deferent stadia :o :shock: :?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Dec 2022 13:52

Sutekh
South Coast Royal
Stranded

Don’t mind the yellow card decider either but to ever go to drawing lots is just a joke. As it seems you can’t have the fun of a playoff between the 2 teams these days you can instead go by the no. of shots on target and/or corners won when the two teams played each other, if that still fails then the same stat totalled over all 3 games and so on until there really is no other way to decide - and even then how about penalties over a zoom connection if the teams are in deferent stadia :o :shock: :?

I like the Zoom call penalty shoot out idea :lol:

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 01 Dec 2022 14:18

6ft Kerplunk
Stranded
South Coast Royal

Just have a penalty shoot out the next morning to decide it.

Yep, daft idea at every other World Cup but when they're playing every game pretty much in one town there's no excuse for it

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Dec 2022 14:32

tulip Argentina looked very good last night but was that just because Poland were so bad?

That and the fact that Messi was really rolling back the years. Couldn't quite finish but everything else looked in prime working order.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 01 Dec 2022 14:42

Franchise FC I like the Zoom call penalty shoot out idea :lol:

You're fvcked if its still all square after 10 players and the keepers have to take one.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 01 Dec 2022 14:45

Royal Rother
tulip Argentina looked very good last night but was that just because Poland were so bad?

That and the fact that Messi was really rolling back the years. Couldn't quite finish but everything else looked in prime working order.

Not sure he was rolling that many years back, Poland were awful. There was one chance when he burst through and it looked like he'd be one on one with the keeper and two defenders got back to tackle him. That would never have happened before. Said to see but he's definitely not the player he was. Still hope that if England don't win it that Argentina do just for Messi.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 01 Dec 2022 14:48

Franchise FC There has long been an issue with shots on target though, in that a shot blocked by a defender is not ordinarily counted as a shot on target, so it would still end up with a subjective element

What's a keeper doing other than blocking shots with the added advantage of being able to use his hands. If a defender has slid in to block a goal bound shot on the 6 yard line it has to be called a shot on target doesn't it?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Dec 2022 14:50

6ft Kerplunk
Franchise FC There has long been an issue with shots on target though, in that a shot blocked by a defender is not ordinarily counted as a shot on target, so it would still end up with a subjective element

What's a keeper doing other than blocking shots with the added advantage of being able to use his hands. If a defender has slid in to block a goal bound shot on the 6 yard line it has to be called a shot on target doesn't it?

But that's the issue with shots on target, I don't think they are counted

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Dec 2022 15:01

6ft Kerplunk
Royal Rother

Not sure he was rolling that many years back, Poland were awful. There was one chance when he burst through and it looked like he'd be one on one with the keeper and two defenders got back to tackle him. That would never have happened before. Said to see but he's definitely not the player he was. Still hope that if England don't win it that Argentina do just for Messi.

Oh for sure he's lost a bit of zip, but I thought he produced a real masterclass last night. One touch control, mesmerising dribbles, pin point through balls, crisp passing.... just lacked a goal, but I loved watching him last night.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 01 Dec 2022 15:05

If you needed a stat to sum up how washed up Belgium seem to be the fact that Courtois gets his 100th cap today and all 6 who did so before him are in the squad for this world cup will do it

2186 posts