Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

2186 posts
6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

by 6ft Kerplunk » 05 Dec 2022 09:13

paultheroyal Absolutely dreadful for 35 minutes.
Pickford deserved more plaudits. Most media outlets gave him a 6.

Didn't think we were that bad for the first 5-10mins. A bit slow but Bellingham was showing signs of bossing the midfield before we went to shit for half an hour. Pickford definitely deserved more than a 6 for keeping a clean sheet. What a difference it made when we decided we'd try passing the ball a bit quicker and that letting Maguire try to come into midfield with the ball and be a playmaker was suiting Senegal a lot more than us. Our subs towards the end didn't do much but it was nice to be able to coast through the latter stages of a knockout match saving a bit of energy.
Pickford definitely deserved more than a 6 for keeping a clean sheet.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Dec 2022 09:14

Loafer
Sanguine I had a wobble on Southgate in the midst of our pre-tournament wobble, but credit to him and the squad, we've on the whole been excellent in Qatar. I wouldn't make us favourites by any means, but equally I wouldn't say any other side has the easy beating of us, either. Southgate's selection will be key against France - let's hope he maintains a more positive outlook and that Foden retains his place. The front, six were excellent tonight and the front three received the ball from the midfield approaching 60 times. Great movement between the lines and our passing was crisp, sublime in places. The team has a certain swagger to it - Saka's finish very classy.

England have now won 15 knock-out ties in major tournaments, ever - and Southgate has delivered six of them. We've also won a knock-out game at three consecutive tournaments for the first time in our history.

It helps that Bellingham is probably THE best talent this country had ever produced since Rooney at his age. Doesn't seem to have the hope of the nation on him like Owen did at that age but is easily our best player.

And he won't be in his prime for another 6 years :lol:

Bellingham has the benefit of not developing his game in the Premier League, for a lot of English football fans he will be a revelation as they haven't seen him play regularly but he has been on a different planet in the Bundesliga this year. Think there is a lot to be said for young English talent to develop away from the glare of the PL and come back, if they want to, a fully formed player.

English fans and press in particular do have a history of putting too much pressure on young players but not seeing Bellingham regularly does seem to have quelled this a bit.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Dec 2022 09:19

Franchise FC
Stranded
Franchise FC And next time 32 teams will rock up, play twice and go home

To be pedantic, 16 will. They currently plan on adding an additional round of 32 games. So 32 sides will still get a minimum of 3 games. The "extra 16" won't.

England more than decent once they remembered they were allowed to play football.

An extra knock out round
At least Germany can get out pf the group stage … maybe

Still a major shambles

Oh it's a shocker - Wenger is on record now as saying that they haven't decided the format yet but it will be one of 3:

1. 16 groups of 3 - then straight knock out from round of 32.
2. 12 groups of 4 - top 2 go through alongside 8 best 3rd place sides to round of 32
3. A US style system of 2 "conferences" essentially, 2 draws of 24 sides. 6 groups of 4 on each side - format same as current Euro's format. Winners of each conference meet in the Final.

All have their flaws but at least options 2 and 3 keep last day group drama potentially. Option 3 means that sides from the same group could meet again in the semi final.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Dec 2022 09:20

Stranded
Franchise FC
Stranded
To be pedantic, 16 will. They currently plan on adding an additional round of 32 games. So 32 sides will still get a minimum of 3 games. The "extra 16" won't.

England more than decent once they remembered they were allowed to play football.

An extra knock out round
At least Germany can get out pf the group stage … maybe

Still a major shambles

Oh it's a shocker - Wenger is on record now as saying that they haven't decided the format yet but it will be one of 3:

1. 16 groups of 3 - then straight knock out from round of 32.
2. 12 groups of 4 - top 2 go through alongside 8 best 3rd place sides to round of 32
3. A US style system of 2 "conferences" essentially, 2 draws of 24 sides. 6 groups of 4 on each side - format same as current Euro's format. Winners of each conference meet in the Final.

All have their flaws but at least options 2 and 3 keep last day group drama potentially. Option 3 means that sides from the same group could meet again in the semi final.

Think option 2 sounds like the best out of a bad bunch.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Dec 2022 09:26

Agreed that the first 30 mins is being blown out of proportion a bit. No worse than France did - until they scored they gave up a couple of gilt edged chances

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 05 Dec 2022 09:31

paultheroyal I knew it was a very English name but i did not appreciate that Matty Cash is actually English, born in Slough :shock: :lol:

lol I thought he was called Matticash which sounds a bit more Polish

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 05 Dec 2022 09:37

I kind of assumed it was an anglified version of something that sounded a bit more Polish

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 05 Dec 2022 09:57

Its his mum's side of the family that's Polish isn't it, hence the lack of a Polish surname. Is he a Matthew or a Matuesz?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Dec 2022 09:59

6ft Kerplunk Its his mum's side of the family that's Polish isn't it, hence the lack of a Polish surname. Is he a Matthew or a Matuesz?

Yeah, Polish grandmother I think.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Dec 2022 09:59

6ft Kerplunk Its his mum's side of the family that's Polish isn't it, hence the lack of a Polish surname. Is he a Matthew or a Matuesz?

Matthew Stuart Cash according to Wiki.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Dec 2022 10:14

paultheroyal My quick snap shot of last night.

Absolutely dreadful for 35 minutes.
Thought the referee was outstanding. FA should bring him in as a guest and see how he gets on in our leagues.
Went through the gears last 10 minutes of first half and what a difference.

Dont think we have got going yet, can they do the unthinkable?

Would agree with most of that. Less so dreadful but on another day could have gone a goal down

Would also value the contribution of Henderson. Not sure he’d have been in everyone’s 26 man squad, never mind the XI but he was superb. As said on commentary, to an extent football is a running game and when you mix the energy and athleticism of Henderson and Bellingham with Rice dropping deep, it’s a well balanced midfield. A bit of steel and experience in there amongst the young players is important too IMO

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Dec 2022 10:18

Loafer Sterling home after an armed break in at his house. Fair enough I say.

Looks like South Coast Royal should apologise for that racist remarks.

Just for clarification I wish no harm on the family and hope they are ok.

People , like you, seem to have got a bit excited about my post , which was meant to be light-hearted, concerning the reason for Sterling's return to London as being something to do with him finding out that he has another 2 or 3 kids.

My son has suggested to me that people on a Reading website may well be unaware of Sterling's past, particularly in his Liverpool days.

Following the court case in 2013 which concerned a "private matter" relating to a young woman and then the next court case in 2018 involving another different young woman and an alleged assault (lack of good evidence led to dismissal as only the 2 people were involved) rumours were rife on Merseyside about the number of kids Sterling had with various women.
His approach to fatherhood was thought to be similar to that of people like Boris Johnson.

That is why I made my hilarious comment-hopefully whoever was in the little scrote's house at the weekend was unharmed.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Dec 2022 10:27

Hendo

His dad is Stuart Cash who played as a left back in lower league and non-league football during the 1990s, last heard of as assistant manager at Basingstoke. He also has a brother, Adam, who plays for Northwood in the Isthmian League.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Dec 2022 10:28

URZZZZ
paultheroyal My quick snap shot of last night.

Absolutely dreadful for 35 minutes.
Thought the referee was outstanding. FA should bring him in as a guest and see how he gets on in our leagues.
Went through the gears last 10 minutes of first half and what a difference.

Dont think we have got going yet, can they do the unthinkable?

Would agree with most of that. Less so dreadful but on another day could have gone a goal down

Would also value the contribution of Henderson. Not sure he’d have been in everyone’s 26 man squad, never mind the XI but he was superb. As said on commentary, to an extent football is a running game and when you mix the energy and athleticism of Henderson and Bellingham with Rice dropping deep, it’s a well balanced midfield. A bit of steel and experience in there amongst the young players is important too IMO

Henderson was clearly Southgate's on the pitch captain last night, leading by example , getting the others going and scoring that rare goal.
England played like a lot of teams have done with overdone possession in the early part of the game but then step it up as the game progresses and what a great time to score.

France and any other teams that we end up playing won't let our midfielders cruise through midfield without making a decent tackle (Busquets, Rabiot, Casameiro etc.).
Although it didn't happen last night and eventually didn't need to happen I still think our best chances will come from set pieces with the aerial power of Bellingham, Kane, Stones and Maguire.
On the other hand teams that we play will have better quality than strikers from Watford or Sheffield United.

Am very much looking forward to the rest of the tournament whatever happens on Saturday and Brazil are helping everybody else a bit by Jesus and Neymar getting injured.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Dec 2022 10:29

Sutekh
Hendo

His dad is Stuart Cash who played as a left back in lower league and non-league football during the 1990s, last heard of as assistant manager at Basingstoke. He also has a brother, Adam, who plays for Northwood in the Isthmian League.

Did he have a distant uncle Johnny in USA through whom he might have played for them.?

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 05 Dec 2022 10:31

South Coast Royal
Loafer Sterling home after an armed break in at his house. Fair enough I say.

Looks like South Coast Royal should apologise for that racist remarks.

Just for clarification I wish no harm on the family and hope they are ok.

People , like you, seem to have got a bit excited about my post , which was meant to be light-hearted, concerning the reason for Sterling's return to London as being something to do with him finding out that he has another 2 or 3 kids.

My son has suggested to me that people on a Reading website may well be unaware of Sterling's past, particularly in his Liverpool days.

Following the court case in 2013 which concerned a "private matter" relating to a young woman and then the next court case in 2018 involving another different young woman and an alleged assault (lack of good evidence led to dismissal as only the 2 people were involved) rumours were rife on Merseyside about the number of kids Sterling had with various women.
His approach to fatherhood was thought to be similar to that of people like Boris Johnson.

That is why I made my hilarious comment-hopefully whoever was in the little scrote's house at the weekend was unharmed.

:| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 05 Dec 2022 10:41

Thought we started well but after ten minutes began the awkward and tense passing between Maguire and Stones again.

For the first time ever I agreed with Lee Dixon when he said we need to change this up and start passing it longer and straight up to the towards. He seems to think this decision was made on the field. But however it happened it worked.

As someone else said watching England pass it along the back 4 is like watching Reading (although not this year)

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 05 Dec 2022 11:23

Start slow against mboopey like that and we are toast with marmite and butter

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Dec 2022 11:50

Loafer Start slow against mboopey like that and we are toast with marmite and butter

Agree, need a high tempo press - are England capable of that for any length of time against really decent players?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 05 Dec 2022 12:03

Can't wait for the France v England game; it is likely to be a classic as both teams attacks are much better than their defences (notwithstanding the fact that we have only conceded 1 goal from open play, and 2 in total, whilst France haven't kept a clean sheet).

As someone said, to win this competition, you need to beat the best teams; for us that will mean France, probably Spain and then probably either Argentina or Brazil in the final.

oxf*rd bring it on!!!!!!!

2186 posts