Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

2186 posts
bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

by bcubed » 19 Dec 2022 21:13

Franchise FC
bcubed https://www.football365.com/news/ranking-each-teams-world-cup-showing-relative-to-official-fifa-ranking-england-france-argentina

England ranked 27th according to this

In terms of how well they did compared with how well they should have done

Weren’t England ranked 5 before the tournament ?
If so, they reached exactly the round they were supposed to

And Wales ranked above England after scoring 1 goal, getting 1 point and, quire possibly, being the worst performing team in the tournament

Yes there seems little rationale for some of these choices :roll:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Dec 2022 21:14

fartdad
6ft Kerplunk
Sanguine The 'fawning' never bothers me. He's brilliant. Let's hype it. Because once he retires there won't be Messi any more

^ this. If you can't go over the top as a pundit at one of the greatest ever players in the twilight of his career dragging his country to a world cup win when can you?

I believe it’s a self fulfilling prophecy.. you want to believe Messi is god.. get enough of others to convince you too. He doesn’t really do anything for me. He gets away with pretty much with everything because he has everyone believing that he isn’t a dirty player, like literally sticking his hand out to block the ball against Netherlands. Messi dived, oh wait Messi doesn’t dive.. :roll: penalty for ya boy

He did single handily almost bankrupt Barca which led them to selling the rights of blades of grass for the next 50 years, so that something I’ll remember him by.

The level of Shithousery in the game v Netherlands was indeed unbelievable.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 19 Dec 2022 21:50

fartdad
6ft Kerplunk
Sanguine The 'fawning' never bothers me. He's brilliant. Let's hype it. Because once he retires there won't be Messi any more

^ this. If you can't go over the top as a pundit at one of the greatest ever players in the twilight of his career dragging his country to a world cup win when can you?

I believe it’s a self fulfilling prophecy.. you want to believe Messi is god.. get enough of others to convince you too. He doesn’t really do anything for me. He gets away with pretty much with everything because he has everyone believing that he isn’t a dirty player, like literally sticking his hand out to block the ball against Netherlands. Messi dived, oh wait Messi doesn’t dive.. :roll: penalty for ya boy

He did single handily almost bankrupt Barca which led them to selling the rights of blades of grass for the next 50 years, so that something I’ll remember him by.

Glad I'm not the only one who saw it for what it was.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Dec 2022 00:13

Well I’m glad Argentina won. Theyre the bad boys of football and Maradona and Batigol were a couple of my football heroes. Messi is a proper team player not a preening narcissist or a disruptive prima causing discord in the group. (Netherlands take note)

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Dec 2022 09:48

bcubed
fartdad
6ft Kerplunk ^ this. If you can't go over the top as a pundit at one of the greatest ever players in the twilight of his career dragging his country to a world cup win when can you?

The level of Shithousery in the game v Netherlands was indeed unbelievable.

Indeed, the Dutch bench were well out of order

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Dec 2022 10:29

Franchise FC
bcubed https://www.football365.com/news/ranking-each-teams-world-cup-showing-relative-to-official-fifa-ranking-england-france-argentina

And Wales ranked above England after scoring 1 goal, getting 1 point and, quire possibly, being the worst performing team in the tournament

Yeah, that's an odd conclusion. We reached the last eight, which is what our ranking said we should, and lost to one of the top four sides in the world.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 20 Dec 2022 10:55

Sanguine
Franchise FC

Yeah, that's an odd conclusion. We reached the last eight, which is what our ranking said we should, and lost to one of the top four sides in the world.

Like I said above the rationale is unclear!

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 20 Dec 2022 13:44

leon Well I’m glad Argentina won. Theyre the bad boys of football and Maradona and Batigol were a couple of my football heroes. Messi is a proper team player not a preening narcissist or a disruptive prima causing discord in the group. (Netherlands take note)

Not quite the skill of Brazil, yet not quite the ugliness of Uruguay. The perfect South American side.

And quite frankly if you can't get moved by Messi's team talk before their Copa América final, or their fans' dedication at Qatar and around the Obelisk in Buenos Aires, I'd suggest football really isn't for you.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Dec 2022 16:24

Load of stupid unexplained cr@p. How on Earth you have England lower than Uruguay who were expected to at least get to the round of 16 based on their ranking but failed miserably is beyond me.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Dec 2022 10:43

I think I only just learned this:

France came 3rd in WC86
France didn't qualify for WC90
France didn't qualify for WC94
France didn't need to qualify for WC98 as hosts
France didn't need to qualify for WC2002 as holders

They went 20 years between successful qualifying campaigns. WTF?!!! :shock: :lol:

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 23 Dec 2022 12:14

Winston Biscuit I think I only just learned this:

France came 3rd in WC86

They went 20 years between successful qualifying campaigns. WTF?!!! :shock: :lol:

Sacré bleu Winst, sacré bleu!

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 23 Dec 2022 17:15

Winston Biscuit I think I only just learned this:

France came 3rd in WC86

Didn't England go through something similar?

Qualified for '62
Hosts in '66
Holders in 70
Failed to Qualify '74
Failed to Qualify '78
Qualified '82

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 10 Jan 2023 15:20

A final word; as a surprise to no-one whatsoever, in the aftermath of the World Ciup, Gareth Bale has announced his complete retirement from all Football, effective immediately.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 17 Jan 2023 09:20

Sutekh Going to be a challenge but personally I shall try and boycott the entire event and any products used to sponsor it - anyone else think they might be able to “lose” interest in it?

Genuinely interested how did this go?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Jan 2023 09:32

Jagermesiter1871
Sutekh Going to be a challenge but personally I shall try and boycott the entire event and any products used to sponsor it - anyone else think they might be able to “lose” interest in it?

Could have done a lot better. Watched many of the games (who'd want to miss England making fools of themselves again) - as it was all on terrestrial TV not watching it wasn't going to make any real difference, would not have bothered if on satellite TV though. Avoiding the various sponsor's products (Budweiser, Adidas, Coca Cola, McDonalds, Panini etc.) was easy enough though. Also dodged the usual wall chart and any related magazines and newspapers before during and after.

Anyone manage to do rather better than that?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Jan 2023 20:20

No, it became a guilty pleasure.

A lot of ‘interesting’ results coupled with kick-off times that favoured listening (on R5) whilst driving, and watching on tv when I got home.

Enjoyed it more than I initially wanted to, in all honesty.

Guilty as charged.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 18 Jan 2023 07:14

Sutekh
Jagermesiter1871

Could have done a lot better. Watched many of the games (who'd want to miss England making fools of themselves again) - as it was all on terrestrial TV not watching it wasn't going to make any real difference, would not have bothered if on satellite TV though. Avoiding the various sponsor's products (Budweiser, Adidas, Coca Cola, McDonalds, Panini etc.) was easy enough though. Also dodged the usual wall chart and any related magazines and newspapers before during and after.

Anyone manage to do rather better than that?

Ian claims he didn't see any of it or consume it

Do not believe him at all, can't think of anybody whose a fan that would do that

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 31 Jan 2023 11:22

AthleticoSpizz No, it became a guilty pleasure.

A lot of ‘interesting’ results coupled with kick-off times that favoured listening (on R5) whilst driving, and watching on tv when I got home.

Enjoyed it more than I initially wanted to, in all honesty.

Guilty as charged.

It really was an excellent World Cup, would imagine a lot of people enjoyed it more than they thought they were going to.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Feb 2023 01:03

Jagermesiter1871

If you were interested in Sutekh, I was boycotting watching, and managed not to see a single minute until catching the odd glimpse of Brazil in the pub at a leaving drinks and then later that night having Argentina v Netherlands on a TV next to me whilst playing pool.

I think I involuntarily saw less than 15 minutes total of the entire thing.

Can't say it was a struggle or I felt like I was missing out.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 04 Feb 2023 09:14

Snowflake Royal
Jagermesiter1871

If you were interested in Sutekh, I was boycotting watching, and managed not to see a single minute until catching the odd glimpse of Brazil in the pub at a leaving drinks and then later that night having Argentina v Netherlands on a TV next to me whilst playing pool.

I think I involuntarily saw less than 15 minutes total of the entire thing.

Can't say it was a struggle or I felt like I was missing out.

Notice no mention of radio listening which we all know is your preferred method.

2186 posts