LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

8640 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by Sanguine » 30 Jan 2020 13:42

What is slightly ridiculous is that from here they could lose four games and still equal City's 100-point PL record.

Incredibly they are also approaching City's consecutive wins record for the second time in the same season. Currently on 15 wins in a row, albeit this time they don't, it seems, have an Old Trafford or similar banana skin awaiting them. Next five are Southampton (h), Norwich (a), West Ham (h), Watford (a), Bournemouth (h). Which means they'll probably nonsensically lose one of them.

Should it also worry the PL that Liverpool probably have at least two more seasons with this squad at their peak (at which time Henderson, Firmino and Van Dijk will have passed the grand old age of 30)?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Jan 2020 13:57

Sanguine What is slightly ridiculous is that from here they could lose four games and still equal City's 100-point PL record.

Incredibly they are also approaching City's consecutive wins record for the second time in the same season. Currently on 15 wins in a row, albeit this time they don't, it seems, have an Old Trafford or similar banana skin awaiting them. Next five are Southampton (h), Norwich (a), West Ham (h), Watford (a), Bournemouth (h). Which means they'll probably nonsensically lose one of them.

Should it also worry the PL that Liverpool probably have at least two more seasons with this squad at their peak (at which time Henderson, Firmino and Van Dijk will have passed the grand old age of 30)?

You just know that the Liverpool of a few seasons ago, would've slipped up in one or two of those games, probably Norwich and Bournemouth, now I am not so sure.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jan 2020 14:04

Sanguine What is slightly ridiculous is that from here they could lose four games and still equal City's 100-point PL record.

If they win the next 5 then I can see them winning the title at Goodison.

For that to happen, City would need to drop 6 points from Spurs (a), West Ham (H), Leicester (a), Man Utd (a), Burnley (H) - not beyond the realms of possibility.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jan 2020 19:02

Silver Fox
Franchise FC
Silver Fox We'll always have the football league 46 game record, Man Citeh last year was better than 106 so if you're going to compare with 38 game seasons it's already gone

I'm pretty sure that we have the points record, not the points per game record - that's not a thing

This is the thing, you can't compare the 2, otherwise you're saying that more often than not the winners of league 2 are better than the Premier League champs (I haven't checked the stats to see how often top of L2 gets more points than top of the Prem, just trust me)

Er... no. It's not about who is better, that's what the league structure is for, it's about what is the record highest points tally, an absolute number. If it was about ppg Chelsea took it off us way before City did anyway.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Feb 2020 18:17

73 points now. Didn’t ManU win the PL with just 75 points back in the mid 90s?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 Feb 2020 18:28

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Feb 2020 12:07

Any further slip ups by Man City and Liverpool could win the league on the 16th March!! 2 months before season completes and their game....away to Everton!!

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Feb 2020 13:04

15-16 Leicester (n/a) - 3 games to spare
16-17 Chelsea v WBA (a) - 2
17-18 Man City v Spurs (a) - 5
18-19 Man City v Brighton (a) - 0

2014-15 was the last time a team won the title at home, Chelsea beating Palace 1-0. Leicester weren't even playing when they were crowned champions the following season.

I'm sure Liverpool would want to win it at Anfield if fate allows, but winning it at Goodison would no doubt come in second, in fact I'd venture they'd get a decent reception from the Everton fans too. It's Palace at home the following week, and then a trip to the Etihad, but I think it will be all over by then.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Feb 2020 18:13

If Liverpool beat Norwich next time out. 5th placed Spurs can only equal their points tally, with 12 games remaining.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 16 Feb 2020 13:56

This thread was started 10 years ago.
Since then Kes has gone through a number of guises having been plastic royal back then when he started it all.

As it is titled "Liverpool next season" and Liverpool now certs to be champions this time which teams do posters expect to challenge next season?

City with or without Pep and probably no European distraction?
Man Utd having spent many more hundreds of millions and probably no top European distraction?
Leicester with Vardy entering the veteran stage and Maddison possibly heading to Manchester?
Chelsea with more spending power and promising youngsters being a year older?
Spurs with Harry Kane playing for as long as he gets injured again and a manager past his sell-by date?
Arsenal-not worth considering.
Wolves-there are only so many top Portuguese players.
Sheff Utd-not strong enough to challenge for the top and Europe for the first time could be a big distraction

It does look good for the mighty reds with a very strong squad to be making a serious challenge again and some of us are loving it after all this time .
Strange that so many posters have stopped posting (nothing for 12 days), as the chant goes, "It's all gone quiet over there".

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 16 Feb 2020 14:17

South Coast Royal This thread was started 10 years ago.
Since then Kes has gone through a number of guises having been plastic royal back then when he started it all.

As it is titled "Liverpool next season" and Liverpool now certs to be champions this time which teams do posters expect to challenge next season?

Man Utd having spent many more hundreds of millions and probably no top European distraction?
Leicester with Vardy entering the veteran stage and Maddison possibly heading to Manchester?
Spurs with Harry Kane playing for as long as he gets injured again and a manager past his sell-by date?
Sheff Utd-not strong enough to challenge for the top and Europe for the first time could be a big distraction

It does look good for the mighty reds with a very strong squad to be making a serious challenge again and some of us are loving it after all this time .
Strange that so many posters have stopped posting (nothing for 12 days), as the chant goes, "It's all gone quiet over there".

If they win the CL as well as setting an ‘unbeatable’ points record I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple of them weren’t attracted by some time in the sun, like Spain.
Depends on which ones it is, but if it’s VVD that would be a real problem because he makes ordinary centre backs look good alongside him (I give you Dejan Lovren ).
If they keep the core, they could be winning the league for years.

Might be interesting to hear the ‘ Twenty times...’ song at Old Trafford then

Oh, and happy to accept that they are both the most efficient, and entertaining, side around at the moment - probably in the world... are they still sponsored by Carlsberg ? :wink:

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 16 Feb 2020 15:03

Franchise FC

If they win the CL as well as setting an ‘unbeatable’ points record I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple of them weren’t attracted by some time in the sun, like Spain.
Depends on which ones it is, but if it’s VVD that would be a real problem because he makes ordinary centre backs look good alongside him (I give you Dejan Lovren ).

Oh, and happy to accept that they are both the most efficient, and entertaining, side around at the moment - probably in the world... are they still sponsored by Carlsberg ? :wink:

It has taken a few years but yes they are now a proper Carlsberg team.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 16 Feb 2020 16:34

South Coast Royal
Franchise FC

It has taken a few years but yes they are now a proper Carlsberg team.

Just at the moment I’m not sure that ‘probably’ is appropriate

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 16 Feb 2020 16:42

Just as a side note, I really enjoy the thought that we’ve lived through the best of stuff.

Reading best ever, at the time.
Best start to a season (thanks to Man Utd, both in ‘85 and this season)
Best ever PL title race
Best ever PL team
Best player(s) - Messi and Ronaldo
Best Manager, although it really does pain me to say that

I’m sure there’s loads more

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 17 Feb 2020 14:06

Probably should have put two and two together on this, but found out today that it's an actual thing that Anfield doesn't host England games because the club refuses to host journalists from The Sun. Which I completely understand on the club's part, and is fcuking shite on the part of the FA.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Feb 2020 10:12

Chelsea's loss last night means Liverpool are the first team to qualify for the 2020/21 Champions League.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 18 Feb 2020 10:16

Stranded Chelsea's loss last night means Liverpool are the first team to qualify for the 2020/21 Champions League.

Goes without saying but this is the earliest that that has been achieved. Trying to find the article, I think it was on Unibet - there are in the region of 35 records that Liverpool could set this season, and that's the second one ticked off (after setting the record two weeks ago for the largest lead at any point in an English top flight season).

If they beat West Ham at home next Monday they'll equal City's 18 league wins in a row, and also set a new top flight record of 21 home league wins in succession.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Feb 2020 10:25

Sanguine
Stranded Chelsea's loss last night means Liverpool are the first team to qualify for the 2020/21 Champions League.

Goes without saying but this is the earliest that that has been achieved. Trying to find the article, I think it was on Unibet - there are in the region of 35 records that Liverpool could set this season, and that's the second one ticked off (after setting the record two weeks ago for the largest lead at any point in an English top flight season).

If they beat West Ham at home next Monday they'll equal City's 18 league wins in a row, and also set a new top flight record of 21 home league wins in succession.

Football365 update this one fairly regularly: https://www.football365.com/news/liverp ... ier-league

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 18 Feb 2020 10:36

Stranded
Sanguine

Football365 update this one fairly regularly: https://www.football365.com/news/liverp ... ier-league

Given how good they've been this season it'll be nice to see them match Preston's top division invincibles (them being the first to do it and all that)

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Feb 2020 11:11

Sanguine

Yeah, I think I read something this morning that said they are the first team to qualify for the Champions League before the start of the knock-out stages.

While this is down to Liverpool's outstanding form, it does also point towards the rest of the teams being a bit iffy.

8640 posts