8627 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by Stranded » 17 May 2021 10:42

Franchise FC
Stranded
Franchise FC Pity that West Brom were denied a fair fight.

If the referee 'intervenes' the restart must be a dropped ball. Given that the restart was illegal, all that happened after it should have been void - i.e. no goal.
If the ball had been moving it would have been brought back by VAR (see Kane's quick free-kick earlier in the season that was checked for more than a minute to see if the ball was moving)

Don't think I understand the offside goal but I'm so far out of touch with the laws regarding offside that I don;t think I can be surprised

Offside was the right call. A WBA player was offside and completely blocking the view of Alisson. If he had been a couple of yards right or left, would have been fine. You can't be offside and affect an opposition player negatively as a result.

And the drop ball ..... ?

Will pull the old didn't see it line as only saw brief highlights which showed the offside but not the other incident.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 17 May 2021 10:45

Stranded
Franchise FC
Stranded
Offside was the right call. A WBA player was offside and completely blocking the view of Alisson. If he had been a couple of yards right or left, would have been fine. You can't be offside and affect an opposition player negatively as a result.

And the drop ball ..... ?

Will pull the old didn't see it line as only saw brief highlights which showed the offside but not the other incident.

It’s worth finding just to see (again) how Mike Dean demonstrates either a lack of knowledge of the laws or a deliberate attempt to grab some limelight

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 May 2021 11:13

Fair to say Liverpool rode their luck yesterday but at this point in the season, a win is a win and they won't care one jot

Was intrigued to see Liverpool's record against the bottom 6 and how poor it was (up to Alisson's goal particularly)

15th: Burnley - 1 defeat
16th: Newcastle - 2 draws
17th: Brighton - 1 draw, 1 defeat
18th: Fulham - 1 draw, 1 defeat
19th: West Brom - 1 draw, 1 win
20th: Sheffield United - 2 wins

Record of 3-5-3 which isn't close to being good enough for what they want to achieve

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 May 2021 11:13

Mike Dean got that wrong, I'd have more sympathy with West Brom if they'd had any idea about this at the time instead of chucking Fabinho the ball so he could take the free kick quickly

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 May 2021 14:11

Winston Biscuit Alisson!! :shock: :lol:

Just seen this. It is a oxf*rd great header, tbh.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 17 May 2021 14:31

Hendo
Winston Biscuit Alisson!! :shock: :lol:

Just seen this. It is a oxf*rd great header, tbh.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 May 2021 14:46

:D

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 17 May 2021 14:53

Captured on the left side of the frame there, one of the best bits of the goal is that Nat Phillips nearly completely oxf*rd it up. Not for the first time he completely missed his attacking header.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 17 May 2021 15:29

Fat Sam being his usual bitter not my fault self after just made it even funnier.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 May 2021 12:50

Stat mentioned on Sky last night that Liverpool have played just ten league games this season with Alisson in goal, Fabinho in midfield and two recognised centre-backs. And they've won all ten.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 May 2021 14:43

Sanguine Stat mentioned on Sky last night that Liverpool have played just ten league games this season with Alisson in goal, Fabinho in midfield and two recognised centre-backs. And they've won all ten.

Yep, Klopp's stubbornness cost them the potential for another title run - and possibly even a top four spot

The midfield balance is something which is sometimes overlooked to a degree by managers but arguably is the most important feature of a team

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 20 May 2021 15:18

tbf, his best 3 centre backs have be out for pretty much the whole season and Fabinho did a decent job back there. Easy with hindsight after a decent run but Phillips and Williams looked really iffy to begin with and serious a lack of pace. Still not convinced Williams is ready at his age to be playing every week. At least Phillips improved and was able cover up his lack of pace with his positional play.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 May 2021 17:07

6ft Kerplunk tbf, his best 3 centre backs have be out for pretty much the whole season and Fabinho did a decent job back there. Easy with hindsight after a decent run but Phillips and Williams looked really iffy to begin with and serious a lack of pace. Still not convinced Williams is ready at his age to be playing every week. At least Phillips improved and was able cover up his lack of pace with his positional play.

Williams career history does look a little bizarre - Conference North and Premier League, and nothing in between.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 20 May 2021 17:26

6ft Kerplunk tbf, his best 3 centre backs have be out for pretty much the whole season and Fabinho did a decent job back there. Easy with hindsight after a decent run but Phillips and Williams looked really iffy to begin with and serious a lack of pace. Still not convinced Williams is ready at his age to be playing every week. At least Phillips improved and was able cover up his lack of pace with his positional play.

watched the first half...they were shit

both teams playing hoofball for a period

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 May 2021 23:11

Sure but the consistent use of Thiago as the deepest midfielder simply didn’t work - not enough protection, having Fabinho there not only brought out the best in his own play but also Thiago’s

Don’t think Williams is that great either but with the way Liverpool play under Klopp, it’s imperative the midfield do their jobs properly, something that was lacking in the a sense of both Fabinho and Henderson

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 21 May 2021 09:41

Hendseron, Fabinho and Milner have all been out injured a lot as well and they're his only other options for the defensive midfielder. I do agree that Klopp persisted with a system that wasn't working for too long but the injuries they've had did mean he had little choice at times.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 May 2021 12:26

6ft Kerplunk Hendseron, Fabinho and Milner have all been out injured a lot as well and they're his only other options for the defensive midfielder. I do agree that Klopp persisted with a system that wasn't working for too long but the injuries they've had did mean he had little choice at times.

I’m hopeful next season for a title race like 18/19 where two teams are neck and neck with each other - always seems to be one team with injury problems throughout and this time it’s Liverpool’s. Looking back through the last few years

2020/21 - City walked the title
2019/20 - Liverpool walked the title
2018/19 - Closest one in a long time
2017/18 - City walked the title
2016/17: Chelsea were pretty comfortable throughout
2015/16: Fairytale with Leicester winning it and all that but wasn’t really a close contest, barring a late effort from Spurs
2014/15: Chelsea pretty comfortable throughout the season

For a league with so many “dominating” teams, the title race is often very disappointing

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 21 May 2021 14:42

URZZZZ
6ft Kerplunk Hendseron, Fabinho and Milner have all been out injured a lot as well and they're his only other options for the defensive midfielder. I do agree that Klopp persisted with a system that wasn't working for too long but the injuries they've had did mean he had little choice at times.

I’m hopeful next season for a title race like 18/19 where two teams are neck and neck with each other - always seems to be one team with injury problems throughout and this time it’s Liverpool’s. Looking back through the last few years

2015/16: Fairytale with Leicester winning it and all that but wasn’t really a close contest, barring a late effort from Spurs

For a league with so many “dominating” teams, the title race is often very disappointing

I think you may be remembering that one a little differently to me.
I recall that Spurs were right in the mix until the last few games then produced their customary burst for the line (i.e. failing to keep up)
When I get a few minutes I'll check

[Edit] - Spurs dropped 10 points in the last 4 games to miss the title by 11 points

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 May 2021 00:52

Franchise FC
URZZZZ

I think you may be remembering that one a little differently to me.
I recall that Spurs were right in the mix until the last few games then produced their customary burst for the line (i.e. failing to keep up)
When I get a few minutes I'll check

[Edit] - Spurs dropped 10 points in the last 4 games to miss the title by 11 points

Sure, bit closer than I thought

But Spurs were still lagging behind Leicester for the duration of it, wouldn’t categorise it as a particularly close race

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 24 May 2021 11:43

Such an odd season for Liverpool. Top after 16 games. And of their final ten games, they won eight and drew two (the not so shite Nat Phillips contributing to five clean sheets and just six goals conceded). So essentially their entire season was determined by that period of 12 games in the middle of the season where nothing went right. Sure, Klopp might have done some things differently, but it will never be disingenuous to look back on a season missed almost in its entirety by Van Dijk and Gomez, where Matip, Jota and Thiago were all out for at least three months, and where captain Henderson's season ended in February, and talk of injuries.

I find Wijnaldum's words on his exit to be strange. I think he is suggesting Liverpool forced his hand with a miserly contract offer.
'I would have loved to remain a Liverpool player for many years, but unfortunately things went different. I have to start a new adventure. I didn't sign somewhere else.....[but] as of July 1st I'm not a Liverpool player any more.'

8627 posts