Government Intervention

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Government Intervention

by BR2 » 08 Dec 2010 12:08

Thank you guys for the info on quangos (which of course have committees)-this is one of the good things about forums such as these-we all learn something.
Yes Skyline I will take every opportunity (when I have the time)to do a bit of Tory bashing.
It's fun because it is on here where most people don't know each other from Adam so if they get upset so what whereas in our real world lives we have to play down feelings rather than play up.

MrA,
I think I'll take the stance that there are much more important things for select committees and/or quangos to look into than professional football.
State intervention?
Surely not by the Tories? :wink:

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 08 Dec 2010 12:11

BR2 State intervention?

I know, it's slightly unexpected, but politicians of all parties had come to the realisation between them that football is out of control and can't be trusted to govern itself, so I think whoever won the election this would have happened in one form or another.

Hugh Robertson is a decent bloke who understands the issues and listens when you talk to him so I'm optimistic about this. (Unlike his boss who was so accurately renamed on Monday - he has no idea whatsoever about football!)

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 08 Dec 2010 12:42

Great news, lets hope something intelligent and enforceable is agreed upon and actioned quickly (quick for a committee that is).

One hopes they will have a damn good look at the German model for the game and try to legislate in such a manner that pushes clubs and organisations down a similar type of road.

And it can't be seen as interference in the FA as if a government enacts legislation changes then organisations have to adhere to those as the laws of the land.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 08 Dec 2010 12:47

There's a world of difference, FIFA-wise, between the Government saying that teh FA has to have an independent chairman and two independent directors (as was in Burns and as I think is likely here) and a Government appointing the FA chairman directly, which is what has happened in other countries when FIFA has got involved.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 08 Dec 2010 13:24

This will result in a report that will get a few headlines and then become shelfware like the rest of them.

Is the government going to:

Nationalise every major football club and then sell them to fans who could not afford to run them? No.

Revise the current revenue sharing deal in the Sky contract by legislating to over-turn a commercial contract? No.

Directly mandate the FA to change its governance rules or appoint a new set of senior officials and thus get England kicked out of FIFA? No.

Football clubs are not vital to the economy like banks and can be allowed to fail. The responsible clubs will survive and the other will be forced to learn lessons or cease to exist.

What the government could do is to instruct HMRC to begin proceedings against clubs behind on tax payments far earlier when there would be a greater prospect of recouping funds before the, “football creditors” mount up.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 08 Dec 2010 13:37

Once were Biscuitmen This will result in a report that will get a few headlines and then become shelfware like the rest of them.

Is the government going to:

Nationalise every major football club and then sell them to fans who could not afford to run them? No.

Revise the current revenue sharing deal in the Sky contract by legislating to over-turn a commercial contract? No.

Directly mandate the FA to change its governance rules or appoint a new set of senior officials and thus get England kicked out of FIFA? No.

Football clubs are not vital to the economy like banks and can be allowed to fail. The responsible clubs will survive and the other will be forced to learn lessons or cease to exist.

What the government could do is to instruct HMRC to begin proceedings against clubs behind on tax payments far earlier when there would be a greater prospect of recouping funds before the, “football creditors” mount up.

Oh, well, as it' all decided we might as well not bother, then. What a pity the suffragettes or the chartists didn't think of that - it would have saved them a whole lot of hassle .....

What is likely to come out of this are regulations on the internal structure of the FA, making it much more open and accountable, as well as independent of the likes of the PL. There is a recognition in government that the interests of the PL and a few clubs are being put before the interests of the rest of the game down to grass roots level.

Also likely to come out of this are rules about club ownership, making it a lot easier for supporters to won their clubs - or at least for them to participate much more in their clubs - without this taking away competitive advantage.

Still, if it's not worth the trouble it we might as well not bother.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 08 Dec 2010 13:55

Surely making it more open and accountable is not only a good think but right in line with current Tory thinking? :|

One hopes they will have a damn good look at the German model for the game and try to legislate in such a manner that pushes clubs and organisations down a similar type of road.

Likewise.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 08 Dec 2010 13:58

papereyes Surely making it more open and accountable is not only a good think but right in line with current Tory thinking? :|

Likewise.

And supporter ownership, in terms of Supporter Trusts which are technically co-operatives, is also very much in line with current Tory thinking, although they idea was initially introduced and funded by Labour via "Supporters Direct".

Skyline

by Skyline » 08 Dec 2010 14:11

BR2 Yes Skyline I will take every opportunity (when I have the time)to do a bit of Tory bashing.

Didn't realise you were also Victor Meldrew.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 08 Dec 2010 15:09

BR2 MrA,
I think I'll take the stance that there are much more important things for select committees and/or quangos to look into than professional football.

I love the way you still don't quite get it that it ISN'T a Quango; touching.

:wink:

So, although you agree with what is happening, because its been proposed by a Government that isn't one you like, you are against it; no doubt had Labour proposed it, you would be doing a good impersonation of Leroy's cum face!!!!

:D

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 08 Dec 2010 15:11

Svlad Cjelli
BR2 State intervention?

I know, it's slightly unexpected, but politicians of all parties had come to the realisation between them that football is out of control and can't be trusted to govern itself, so I think whoever won the election this would have happened in one form or another.

Hugh Robertson is a decent bloke who understands the issues and listens when you talk to him so I'm optimistic about this. (Unlike his boss who was so accurately renamed on Monday - he has no idea whatsoever about football!)

Is Gerry Sutcliffe on the committee? He always struck me as someone who "got" football and would add genuine knowledge and understanding to the issues.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 08 Dec 2010 15:22

Mr Angry
Svlad Cjelli
BR2 State intervention?

Is Gerry Sutcliffe on the committee? He always struck me as someone who "got" football and would add genuine knowledge and understanding to the issues.

Nope, he stepped down at the election (after being outed by the Sunday Times for promising to sell influence in the Lords as he was "guaranteed" a peerage, which he didn't get as a result.

Good thing too, as I've always been really unimpressed by him - he talks a good game but never takes any action and stoutly defends the great paradox that "football must be allowed to govern itself" at the same time as "the Government needs to impose standing regulations onto football."

He's stuck in the past and can't see today's realities - it also doesn't help that he was a Sheffield MP and so was at Hillsborough the day after the disaster in 89.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 08 Dec 2010 16:09

Svlad Cjelli Nope, he stepped down at the election (after being outed by the Sunday Times for promising to sell influence in the Lords as he was "guaranteed" a peerage, which he didn't get as a result.

Good thing too, as I've always been really unimpressed by him - he talks a good game but never takes any action and stoutly defends the great paradox that "football must be allowed to govern itself" at the same time as "the Government needs to impose standing regulations onto football."

He's stuck in the past and can't see today's realities - it also doesn't help that he was a Sheffield MP and so was at Hillsborough the day after the disaster in 89.

Okies - fairy nuff.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 08 Dec 2010 17:01

Svlad Cjelli Good thing too, as I've always been really unimpressed by him - he talks a good game

well I never