ArsenaLOL

2279 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: ArsenaLOL

by Hendo » 29 Nov 2019 14:02

Old Man Andrews
Hendo Would think that Eddie Howe should be considered for the role.

Eh????? Why? He is nowhere near the level to manage a huge club like that, he would get eaten alive. Arsenal need a proven winner, someone who can come in and transform the club. They need a big personality and a big ego.

Why? - he has achieved all he can for Bournemouth, got great experience and IMO he is ready for a step up to the next level, especially if he wants to be considered as a future England manager, which I think he will be one day. Good age to come in and give fresh ideas and make wholesale changes to the way Arsenal are playing at the moment as well.

Arsenal need a proven winner - what? Like Emery?

SkyBet have Allegri as early favourite - this would be a pretty good shout for Arsenal to be honest. Ticks a lot of boxes but possibly a short term fix if someone like Real Madrid come calling.

I don't think Nuno will leave Wolves, as their season is going pretty well.

Can't see Ljungberg being given it full time, unless he goes on a crazy good run. Arsenal then risk a Solsekjar like situation.

Arteta - no experience, would imagine he is also waiting for the axe to fall on Marco Silva

Poch - possible, but would become a hated figure among Spurs fans, who still have a sense of goodwill towards him.

Ancelotti - possible, I guess

Next in the betting is Howe, who would be my pick.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Nov 2019 14:05

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo Would think that Eddie Howe should be considered for the role.

Eh????? Why? He is nowhere near the level to manage a huge club like that, he would get eaten alive. Arsenal need a proven winner, someone who can come in and transform the club. They need a big personality and a big ego.

Why? - he has achieved all he can for Bournemouth, got great experience and IMO he is ready for a step up to the next level, especially if he wants to be considered as a future England manager, which I think he will be one day. Good age to come in and give fresh ideas and make wholesale changes to the way Arsenal are playing at the moment as well.

SkyBet have Allegri as early favourite - this would be a pretty good shout for Arsenal to be honest. Ticks a lot of boxes but possibly a short term fix if someone like Real Madrid come calling.

Can't see Ljungberg being given it full time, unless he goes on a crazy good run. Arsenal then risk a Solsekjar like situation.

Arteta - no experience, would imagine he is also waiting for the axe to fall on Marco Silva

Poch - possible, but would become a hated figure among Spurs fans, who still have a sense of goodwill towards him.

I don't doubt Howe's ability btw, jsut doubt its the right time for him at Arsenal. The place is a complete war zone at the moment and I just don't think he would be afforded the time now Emery has made a pigs ear of it. Would like to see Howe at a club like Everton perhaps who have big ambitions, lets see how he does somewhere like that before we talk England.

Ancelotti or Benitez would do a good job for them imo.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 29 Nov 2019 14:25

Old Man Andrews Think you may have missed the long running joke about Gareth Ainsworth m8.

Yes, that would explain it.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 29 Nov 2019 14:59

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews Eh????? Why? He is nowhere near the level to manage a huge club like that, he would get eaten alive. Arsenal need a proven winner, someone who can come in and transform the club. They need a big personality and a big ego.

I don't doubt Howe's ability btw, jsut doubt its the right time for him at Arsenal. The place is a complete war zone at the moment and I just don't think he would be afforded the time now Emery has made a pigs ear of it. Would like to see Howe at a club like Everton perhaps who have big ambitions, lets see how he does somewhere like that before we talk England.

Arsenal's defence has been their biggest issue for some time and Eddie's record at Bournemouth in that department has been poor, for all their attacking ability, so little would change IMHO.

I am always surprised that Sean Dyche never gets mentioned above Howe and yet he has operated on a much lower budget at least has some experience of European football and his team sits in the upper part of the Premier League.

I'm not sure what Eddie Howe's next step will be-he has the failure at Burnley behind him but has done well to keep Bournemouth in the Premier League, albeit with the financial backing not afforded to a number of other clubs.

I really don't see Arsenal going for anybody but a "name" and Allegri must surely be their no.1 target.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 Nov 2019 15:42

Simeone. Time might be right for him.

Can he speak English though?

I have never understood fewer words of English coming out of anyone’s mouth than Emery’s. Completely incomprehensible to me.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 29 Nov 2019 15:49

Royal Rother Simeone. Time might be right for him.

I have never understood fewer words of English coming out of anyone’s mouth than Emery’s. Completely incomprehensible to me.

How many English players have Arsenal got though? :wink:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Nov 2019 23:46

Victor Meldrew
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Arsenal's defence has been their biggest issue for some time and Eddie's record at Bournemouth in that department has been poor, for all their attacking ability, so little would change IMHO.

I am always surprised that Sean Dyche never gets mentioned above Howe and yet he has operated on a much lower budget at least has some experience of European football and his team sits in the upper part of the Premier League.

I'm not sure what Eddie Howe's next step will be-he has the failure at Burnley behind him but has done well to keep Bournemouth in the Premier League, albeit with the financial backing not afforded to a number of other clubs.

I really don't see Arsenal going for anybody but a "name" and Allegri must surely be their no.1 target.

I say give it to Arteta. He's learnt the experience from trade (from a backseat perhaps) but I think it's an appointment that could perhaps unite Arsenal again. Lampard is doing a stellar job at Chelsea so far and that was with less experience

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 30 Nov 2019 16:30

Some of the stories coming out now about his sacking - players were brutal wrt his language skills, or lack of.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 30 Nov 2019 18:09

stealthpapes

Some of the stories coming out now about his sacking - players were brutal wrt his language skills, or lack of.

Was it brutal though?

All I’ve seen is sensationalised headlines whereas in reality the one article I read seemed to indicate it was just stuff like them saying “good ebening” and admissions that they found him very hard to understand.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 01 Dec 2019 05:59

Royal Rother
stealthpapes

Was it brutal though?

All I’ve seen is sensationalised headlines whereas in reality the one article I read seemed to indicate it was just stuff like them saying “good ebening” and admissions that they found him very hard to understand.

Him being heckled for the duration of a flight back from an away fixture in Europe was the one that stood out.

So, yeah, maybe the individual comments weren't that bad but there was clearly the persistent challenge to his authority for the last months at the club. It came across like the players scented blood and were relentless with it.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Dec 2019 11:30

stealthpapes
Royal Rother
stealthpapes

Was it brutal though?

Him being heckled for the duration of a flight back from an away fixture in Europe was the one that stood out.

So, yeah, maybe the individual comments weren't that bad but there was clearly the persistent challenge to his authority for the last months at the club. It came across like the players scented blood and were relentless with it.

Football players are fcuking parasites

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 06 Dec 2019 09:48

Arsenal are on proper relegation form at the minute...haven't won in two months!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Dec 2019 09:49

Watched some of the first half yesterday and they really did look shocking.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Dec 2019 11:24

Did find it ironic that Arsenal, who have struggled defensively for years, brought in David Luiz to fix the problem. They've managed to get even worse

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 06 Dec 2019 13:10

They are a real broken team that has cost hundreds of millions. None of them seem to have any idea about team play. I suspect they've been ripped off with those transfer fees as well.
How can a club let their best player, ie Ramsay, just walk out like that? I wonder if any top manager will want that job and I suspect if one does take it the cost is going to be huge to get them there.
And did Pepe really cost 60 mill?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 06 Dec 2019 14:09

Ascotexgunner They are a real broken team that has cost hundreds of millions. None of them seem to have any idea about team play. I suspect they've been ripped off with those transfer fees as well.
How can a club let their best player, ie Ramsay, just walk out like that? I wonder if any top manager will want that job and I suspect if one does take it the cost is going to be huge to get them there.
And did Pepe really cost 60 mill?

A bit like Man Utd, they'll need to set aside somewhere near half a billion to fix that lot to get them anywhere near the top four.
Assuming the keeper's ok, they still need at least two, if not three, quality defenders - that's at least £175m
Two, or again three, quality midfielders - another £175m
Leaves £150m for sorting out the front line

Unless they get Squeaky from Celtic, of course. Then they can do it for about £6.50

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 Dec 2019 14:37

I don't think it'll take half that amount to fix it IF they get in a manager who can organise and put the structure in place to provide a half decent platform for their attacking players to perform from..

You only have to look at how Rodgers turned round Leicesters form, or Hasenhüttl sorted out Southampton (at least to start with), to see how small tweaks or a couple of players here or there can make such a difference.

They do need to have a bit of a clear out and bring in one or two defensive players, but imagine what someone like Rafa would be able to do to make them 10 times harder to score against without too much investment.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 06 Dec 2019 14:39

Hoop Blah I don't think it'll take half that amount to fix it IF they get in a manager who can organise and put the structure in place to provide a half decent platform for their attacking players to perform from..

You only have to look at how Rodgers turned round Leicesters form, or Hasenhüttl sorted out Southampton (at least to start with), to see how small tweaks or a couple of players here or there can make such a difference.

They do need to have a bit of a clear out and bring in one or two defensive players, but imagine what someone like Rafa would be able to do to make them 10 times harder to score against without too much investment.

But does that get them close to the top four, or just arrest the current slide to get 6th to 10th ?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 Dec 2019 15:02

Franchise FC
Hoop Blah I don't think it'll take half that amount to fix it IF they get in a manager who can organise and put the structure in place to provide a half decent platform for their attacking players to perform from..

But does that get them close to the top four, or just arrest the current slide to get 6th to 10th ?

They're probably too far behind the top 4 to get close to them this season, if that's what you mean (ten points to close the gap on Chelsea). But I doubt that any amount of investment or managerial magic is going to get them into the top 4, this season, realistically.

Starting from scratch with some small tweaks to the squad and some proper defensive organisation and I'd say Rafa would be able to get Arsenal into the top 4 with (largely) what they have now. If not he'd have them challenging at least.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Dec 2019 15:06

West Ham (a)
Man City (H)
Everton (a)
Bournemouth (a)
Chelsea (H)

left this year. Need to pick up a win or two there else they could be in trouble esp if Everton and West Ham beat them.

2279 posts