Portsmouth fc

1559 posts
Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Portsmouth fc

by Wimb » 22 Apr 2012 18:45

Victor Meldrew
cmonurz Vic, I don't disagree with your sentiment and like you I bear no ill feeling towards Portsmouth fans who, like fans of any club are in the main a credit to that club. And I feel sorry for those fans that it looks unlikely they will watching Portsmouth FC as they know it in the football league next season.

But do I want Pompey as it currently exists to find a buyer and play on? No I don't. Football is increasingly a business more than a sport and clubs like Reading who earn the right to play in the top division(s) within tight financial constraints should be applauded. Those that seek to take shortcuts to the Premier League, or to cup wins, or to places in Europe - shortcuts only available owing to weak regulation of the industry and the bottomless pockets of owners with little interest in their clubs' history and legacy, and little requirement to make a short-term profit - those teams should be left to flounder in their own problems when their pack of cards comes tumbling down.

Portmouth FC took some massive risks and has relied on luck, the generosity of the Premier League, Football League and its creditors, and the naivity and arrogance of successive owners. I hope they fold.

I don't disagree with that -it needs a big (gish)club to go completely for sense to take over in football finances.
As you can detect, what I didn't like was the naff slagging off of their fans as if the fans could have done something about it.

Agree with Zac really.

Do feel a bit sorry for their fans because they are struggling a bit.. though I don't exactly think they've 'suffered' that much given that their club is now at its 'lowest' in the third tier, a level we only ourselves left in 2002. Hardly a cause to be crying and feeling huge sympathy, especially when compared to teams like Darlo, Scarborough etc who are in danger of utterly disappearing from the pyramid.

Their fans enjoyed the artificial highs so now they have to pay the consequences of their club's mis-management. Without that artificial bump they might well be in League One now anyway so we'll never know. What their fans will always have is those five trips to Wembley and 7 years or so of top flight football and seeing their team in Europe. At the same time clubs like Reading were having to sell its brightest and best just to survive in the second tier.

It's all been a huge mess but if Pompy going bust helps sort out football finances then so be it.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 22 Apr 2012 18:48

AthleticoSpizz If Pompey were to fall off of the cliff pre-season...how would that leave Wrexham and the like, post play-offs?

Depends where they fall off and into. I think people here have said that any Pompy phoenix club have now left it too late to fill a spot next year, so unless somebody else folds and a spot opens up I imagine it'll just mean somebody is saved from dropping out of the football league, so the team 1 off the bottom in League Two and the team in the highest demotion spot in League One would also be saved from Relegation

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Apr 2012 18:50

^ makes sense

Thanx

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 22 Apr 2012 19:32

Victor Meldrew So do none of you lot care about the fans not only of Pompey but any of the many clubs that go skint?

No.

Literally all of Pompeys fans were singing about winning the FA cup and taunting us about winning " fvck all" when we played them. Their FA cup win should be revoked due to the fact they had players playing for them who they couldn't afford and were bought with money they didn't have. Cheats. No sympathy purely because of this. They know morally they should not have that cup...yet are happy to sing about winning it?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 22 Apr 2012 19:37

FiNeRaIn
Victor Meldrew So do none of you lot care about the fans not only of Pompey but any of the many clubs that go skint?

No.

Literally all of Pompeys fans were singing about winning the FA cup and taunting us about winning " fvck all" when we played them. Their FA cup win should be revoked due to the fact they had players playing for them who they couldn't afford and were bought with money they didn't have. Cheats. No sympathy purely because of this. They know morally they should not have that cup...yet are happy to sing about winning it?

Why does a Rangers fan care what happens in the English Leagues? Also, you could say the same for Rangers title win last season. They couldn't afford those players either. :lol: What a kantradicktion.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Apr 2012 20:34

I

Some clubs, maybe. Pompey? No not in the slightest.

And they can have all the fun of the like of the fans of AFC Wimbledon, Aldershot and FC United in building a phoenix club to be proud of. The thing about football is, as long as there are fans, the spirit of the club continues and can rise from the ashes.

But if a club screws the pooch financially, then generally it deserves the consequences and even if it doesn't deserve them, it needs to suffer them. Obviously there are some cases where the club has been bought by someone the fans didn't want who has deliberately ripped it apart... but that's why better controls should be in place for buyers.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 22 Apr 2012 20:52

Every club has it's tossers and every club has it's honest fans. Never nice to see it happen and I wouldn't wish it on any fans in the world.

To class every fan the same is extremely ignorant...

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 23 Apr 2012 00:08

SLAMMED Every club has it's tossers and every club has it's honest fans. Never nice to see it happen and I wouldn't wish it on any fans in the world.

To class every fan the same is extremely ignorant...

A very genuine

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 23 Apr 2012 08:00

So...

Portsmouth FC do not have ANY assets.

They don't own the stadium, training ground, academy, nuffink.

They have already used next seasons season ticket money and have had advances on FL money.

So they have zero income for next season to opperate with.

:lol:

So unless some mad rich man comes along and fancies throwing silly money at them they are basically dead?

Shame for the fans but after going into admin twice in three years and defaulting on a CVA they deserve to be closed down now and the fans can back a new club and like AFC Wimbledon they will be back in 10 years.

CLOSE THEM DOWN!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Apr 2012 08:12

Victor Meldrew As you can detect, what I didn't like was the naff slagging off of their fans....

Indeed - but don't forget this Forum is full of Reading fans slagging off Reading fans as well.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Apr 2012 09:37

Victor Meldrew you sanctimonious lot.

there goes the irony meter again

Of course, i do feel sorry for all those Pompey fans who refused to celebrate their 2 cup final appearances because the whole thing was built on the worst kind of financial doping

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 23 Apr 2012 11:16

Silver Fox

Of course, i do feel sorry for all those Pompey fans who refused to celebrate their 2 cup final appearances because the whole thing was built on the worst kind of financial doping

^^
This

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 23 Apr 2012 11:23

Silver Fox

So there you go being sanctimonious about somebody you feel is being sanctimonious about other people being sanctimonious.
Where will this end?

Royal Monk

by Royal Monk » 23 Apr 2012 11:43

Cobi your facts are way out.
Portsmuff have not sold ANY season tickets for next year
Portsmuff have not had an advance of next seasons money, they have only been given what is due to them this season
They should still liquidate the club though :lol:

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 23 Apr 2012 11:47

Royal Monk Cobi your facts are way out.
Portsmuff have not sold ANY season tickets for next year
Portsmuff have not had an advance of next seasons money, they have only been given what is due to them this seasonThey should still liquidate the club though :lol:

Indeed, but early. Have they sold any season tickets for next season? I'm sure some pages back someone said yes and the money was already used to clear debts.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 23 Apr 2012 11:56

Surely though, given the state of the club at the moment, it would be illegal to sell STs, even if some mugs went and bought them, as there's no guarantee of having any product to sell/offer in the first place.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 23 Apr 2012 12:01

Barry the bird boggler Surely though, given the state of the club at the moment, it would be illegal to sell STs, even if some mugs went and bought them, as there's no guarantee of having any product to sell/offer in the first place.

Is that our club or Pompey? :wink:

Royal Monk

by Royal Monk » 23 Apr 2012 12:11

Ok this is for the mongs

PORTSMUFF HAVE NOT SOLD ANY SEASON TICKETS FOR NEXT SEASON

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Apr 2012 12:35

When Reading supporters gave Pompey fans some stick for their club's pathetic financial mismanagement they responded with chants about Sol lifting the FA Cup. Erm, it was that kind of mis-spend which has taken you to the brink of oblivion and down the divisions.

Sympathy = zilch.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Apr 2012 18:55

I think Pompey sold some long term STs a couple of years ago... 20 year jobs or something. I may be wrong.

1559 posts