New England manager

428 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: next england manager - who do you want?

by Hoop Blah » 30 Apr 2012 08:17

Bump.

I still think Redknapp has very good credentials for the job, but I can also understand why the FA might've wanted to avoid giving him the job.

I like Hodgson, and think he makes for quite a safe and sensible appointment. Can he win over the big players in the way Redknapp surely could've done? Not so sure on that.

Is that such a bad thing? Might it lead to him ditching the old guard and rebuilding with the next generation? I'd like to see it but he'd need to be very brave to risk the wrath of the nation, or the media to be more precise, by leaving big names behind this summer.

I wonder if Harry gave them any indications he didn't fancy it? He made a few noises in the press a couple of months back (I think) and perhaps that was doubt enough in the selection committee's minds.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Re: New England manager

by Mr Angry » 30 Apr 2012 08:18

cmonurz http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/apr/30/roy-hodgson-england

It's started already!

Unbelievable isn't it?

I fully expected the red tops to start bitching immediately (The Mirror used the phrase "The People's Choice" to describe Rednapp this morning!!) but not the supposedly more intellectual, cosmopolitan Guardian......I would have thought they would have embraced the possible appointment of a guy who has succesfully managed club and national sides abroad.

FinchOwl

by FinchOwl » 30 Apr 2012 08:22

rhroyal Media are the England team's worst enemy, and whilst Hodgson has achieved more in his career than 'Arry, he could really struggle from day 1 as the tabloids didn't get their darling choice

Trouble is, if 'Arry was appointed how long before the media turn on their darling and start writing about his dodgy deals, alleged tax evasion etc etc. As you say, the media are our worst enemy, bunch of scumbags! The FA will want to avoid any kind of scandal this time

IMO 3 things add up to this being a good thing for the FA

1. Hodgson will be cheap as his contract is running out at WBA
2. Hodgson is tactically more astute than 'Arry, and has international management experience
3. Hodgson doesnt have a rep for being a dodgy geezer!

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 30 Apr 2012 08:23

Or maybe the fact that they have gone so public with the Hodgson interview is a not so subtle ploy to show Harry that he can't just stroll into the job on his terms.

Certainly helps the salary negotiations for the FA as well...

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 30 Apr 2012 08:33

If it's Hodgson then when we have a crap Euros finals people will immediately start slagging Roy off as it's all fault for not being the type of manager who jumps up and down and has apoplexy and gets into fights on the touchline and how nobody wanted him as manager.

If it's Redknapp and we had a crap Euros then it'd be the benefit of the doubt and the fault of the overpaid useless prima donnas that masquerade as England players.

While ultimately as we struggle to qualify for the WC they'd both get pasted for being hopeless and why didn't we appoint Mourinho etc.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Apr 2012 08:37

Seal Or maybe the fact that they have gone so public with the Hodgson interview is a not so subtle ploy to show Harry that he can't just stroll into the job on his terms.

Certainly helps the salary negotiations for the FA as well...

I thought that when the story first broke last night, but the more I read of it the more it sounds like they've made their choice and are going after their man now.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 30 Apr 2012 08:38

Idiot red tops and idiot fans will refuse to give Roy any time and unless we win the Euros it'll all be how he's hopeless and can't cope with big players and doesn't get passionate enough despite the fact we have a bunch over-rated hopeless prima doinnas as players who couldn't win a game of tiddlywinks let alone an international game that matters at a finals tournament.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 30 Apr 2012 08:54

Barry the bird boggler If it's Hodgson then when we have a crap Euros finals people will immediately start slagging Roy off as it's all fault for not being the type of manager who jumps up and down and has apoplexy and gets into fights on the touchline and how nobody wanted him as manager.

If it's Redknapp and we had a crap Euros then it'd be the benefit of the doubt and the fault of the overpaid useless prima donnas that masquerade as England players.

While ultimately as we struggle to qualify for the WC they'd both get pasted for being hopeless and why didn't we appoint Mourinho etc.

:|

Have you seen our qualification group? I'd back Steve Kean to get us out of that lot.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 30 Apr 2012 08:57

Hodgson should of been given the job when McLaren got the sack, if not before

As my good friend Ray Clemence said to me the job was 'Arry's as long as he didn't want too much money, so I think it's pretty clear what has happened here

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 30 Apr 2012 09:01

Harry (and Spurs) has shot himself in the foot with all this "no England talk" followed by a string of shit results when under the spotlight.

Spurs were hoping for a bumper pay-off whilst Redknapp really believed his was the one and only person they FA wanted

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 30 Apr 2012 09:05

Looking good that it will be Woy and he's the right person for the job.

With the England team the manager and captain are effectively representing football in this country. That's why there was such a big deal about Terry losing the captaincy with his latest actions. The manager is the same, and with Redknapp they have only scratched the surface on the shadey shit he's been doing for years. To have him as England manager just would never sit well with the FA. Almost like a ticking timebomb just waiting to pick up the papers and see that loveable rogue up in court.....AGAIN. Doesn't look great having a tax cheat and a racist thug in charge does it?

Won't have that problem with the Owl. Experienced manager, done international football before and from what you hear from any of his ex or current players he's a brilliant coach. he's also not going to cost loads to employ whereas Redknapp would.

What is so special about ol 'Arry anyway? He's CV reads a cheated hollow FA cup and promotion with Portsmouth and on course to finish (at best) 4th in a 3 horse race with Tottenham oh and chuck in a relegation with Southampton as well. That is literally it. Is that significantly better than what Hodgson has done? When England lose to Holland 'Arry can't just go out and sign another 10 players for £200million to try and make it better like he normally does, it's a different game International football. You've got what you're given and that is it.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 30 Apr 2012 09:09

TBM The thing with Hodgson at Liverpool wasn't the fact he couldn't handle the big ego's - it was more the board/fans/loyal players wanted Kenny in charge and it was only a matter of time before he went

Look at this managerial career - very international, so would at least allow us to understand the foreign game a tad more

1971–1972 Maidstone United Assistant Coach
1976 Carshalton Athletic
1976–1980 Halmstad
1980–1982 Bristol City
1982 Oddevold
1983–1985 Örebro
1985–1990 Malmö FF
1990–1992 Neuchâtel Xamax
1992–1995 Switzerland
1995–1997 Internazionale
1997–1998 Blackburn Rovers
1999 Internazionale
1999–2000 Grasshopper
2000–2001 FC Copenhagen
2001 Udinese
2002–2004 United Arab Emirates
2004–2005 Viking
2006–2007 Finland
2007–2010 Fulham
2010–2011 Liverpool
2011– West Bromwich Albion

Posted that ^^ last year and as said, he'll know the foreign game alot better than Harry would....

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Apr 2012 09:16

Agreed on most of that AP, but I do think 'Arry deserves some credit for the teams he's built. They've all played good attacking football and have done well off the back of it. During a era where defensive football has been quite fashionable amongst the mid-table sides I think the the way he's motivated and organised teams is quite impressive.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Apr 2012 09:19

lmao roy hogdson, he's been brought in to help keep us clear of relegation! top stuff.

manny96

by manny96 » 30 Apr 2012 09:30

I think having an understated manager, less fawned on by the press and less entangled with the existing England squad can only be a good thing. Hiring Harry was just setting it all up for catastrophe when it all goes wrong. He also speaks many languages, hopefully including whatever it is John Terry speaks.

Skyline

by Skyline » 30 Apr 2012 09:41

cmonurz http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/apr/30/roy-hodgson-england

It's started already!

Worth reading the comments to that article - the guy who wrote it isn't getting a lot of respect on there (and rightly so IMNSHO).

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 30 Apr 2012 09:57

Great response in there that completely rips the article to pieces.

Excellent piece to highlight the nonsense in the press regarding Redknapp for England.

Where to begin…

1. The headline – ‘Maybe a wrong one’.

Or maybe a right one?

2. ‘At some point the Football Association is going to have to offer a plausible explanation about why it has decided Roy Hodgson has better credentials than Harry Redknapp’.

Perhaps because he does? Having worked extensively in Europe, having shown himself to be a perfectly capable manager in the Premier League with average players and nowhere near the funds that Redknapp has had consistently. It’s hardly implausible that they would choose RH is it? Would the FA not have had to give a plausible explanation as to why HR would’ve been chosen or would that just have been accepted?

3. ‘On the one hand, it has gone for a safe option’ – depends how you view safety.

Generally the FA views safety as picking whoever the gentlemen in the press want them to so probably more like the courageous option.

4. ‘Several questions are being asked. Uppermost among them is: if not Redknapp, then why not?’

Again the level of arrogance is astonishing. If not, why not? Someone should be appointed on the basis of if so, why so not if not, why not.

5. ‘Redknapp would make an "outstanding England manager", describing him as a "good motivator with a winning mentality".’

That would be 1 FA Cup in 35 years of management winning mentality – still that is pretty successful by England standards.

6. My favourite bit now to express the absurdity and arrogance of the press. ‘After that there is intrigue at various levels about why the men involved in the process, having promised to get the best man available, have not fully explored the potential availability of Pep Guardiola and José Mourinho. Martin O'Neill's name has been mentioned, too.’

Yes that’s right Pep and Jose – two best managers in the world would want to take a pay cut to manage England. Oh and how Martin O’Neill’s name gets added to that shortlist I’ll never know!

7. ‘The decision-makers are also overlooking the fact that the players, almost to a man, wanted Redknapp and, while it is never wise to base decisions on what they want in the dressing room’

Footballer gets asked if he likes his potential new manager, footballer says he does. Shock horror!

8. ‘This is not to over-egg Redknapp's record or be lulled into believing the line, often perpetuated by those with his number on speed-dial, that his credentials were so watertight it was needless of the FA even to consider the alternatives…..Nor, as is alleged in some places, was it because Redknapp is generally well liked in media circles that the bookmakers closed bets on him within minutes of opening the book.

So his credentials aren’t watertight which negates the earlier ‘if not, why not’. And that line is perpetuated by those with his number on speed-dial but the support for him as England manager isn’t because he is well liked in media circles rather than his credentials? Which is it? Who has his number on speed dial? Other than his accountant/tax advisor.

9. One has to be clear about this point because over recent months Hodgson has attracted a lot of sympathy about what happened at Anfield. Some of it has been legitimate, too, because it is true, for example, that Kenny Dalglish's record has strayed dangerously close to being just as undistinguished at times, without a fraction of the complaints from the Anfield crowd. Yet there is also a certain amount of revisionism here, too……However it is dressed up, he blew it. The FA appears willing to airbrush this from his CV. –

Quite wonderful this bit. First, he got the Liverpool job because so many of the gentlemen of the press hated Benitez that his position was untenable and their advocating of an English manager (Curbishley or Allardyce was their preference over Benitez in the 1st place) and Hodgson was the most successful one in the league that year resulted in him being chosen. He also had full support of the English players (Carragher and Gerrard) who were happy to have an English manager – that worked out well. Second, Airbrush this from his CV? Where in the article is it mentioned that Redknapp bankrupted one club having already relegated their local rivals? No? Airbrushed from CV? Revisionism?

10. ‘Tottenham were already making contingency plans and it is no exaggeration to say the whole drawn-out process has sabotaged their season or at least is threatening to do so.’

Love the complete lack of contrition or acceptance that perhaps the media should take some blame for this given that every day for months there has been an article on how great a fit Redknapp is for England in each of the papers while the FA has actually kept fairly silent on the subject other than Gartside’s nonsense.

I’ve nothing against Redknapp other than the sycophancy that he inspires in the media and as a Liverpool fan I’ve got much more reason to dislike Hodgson

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 30 Apr 2012 10:00

Can we merge this thread with the other England manager one we have - its getting confusing having to post on both

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Apr 2012 10:02

TBM Can we merge this thread with the other England manager one we have - its getting confusing having to post on both

+1

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 30 Apr 2012 10:04

Can't believe they've overlooked Allardyce again!

428 posts