New England manager

428 posts
Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

Re: next england manager - who do you want?

by Big Ern » 15 Oct 2011 17:23

Roy Hodgson.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

Re: next england manager - who do you want?

by Big Foot » 17 Oct 2011 11:56

Man Friday I've noticed some of your posts and you seem to have a downer on the mentally handicapped ("mong" this, "mong" that). Now you reveal yourself as a racist. Are you for real? Do people like you really exist, only I don't know any in real life (thankfully).

:|

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

New England manager

by cmonurz » 08 Apr 2012 14:21

Should we assume that the FA have written off Euro 2012?

It's two months until the tournament starts, and still no new boss has been confirmed. Are we really waiting until Spurs competitive interest in the season is over?

With 8 weeks to go, a prospective new boss should be spending his time running rule over potential squad members, not sitting on a bench at WHL, or if it's not Harry, whichever golf course the current future England manager is playing on.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: New England manager

by winchester_royal » 08 Apr 2012 14:27

Give it to Hoddle

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Apr 2012 14:59

Pearce seems to be taking in a few games. I have no problem with him doing the job for the tournament.

Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

by Badger Finger » 08 Apr 2012 15:01

John Gregory is your man for this...

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Apr 2012 15:10

Give it to Nigel Clough. Fitting tribute to his Dad.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 09 Apr 2012 16:33

Maybe we'll get him sooner than expected. :lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Apr 2012 10:44

I'm not too comfortable with the way the FA are going about this. The delay really isn't a good thing.

I couldn't care less about club priorities and all that. They should just go out and get their man and get him in quickly so that the correct preparation can be done for the Euro's. Pearce isn't the man for the job and as much as he can patch a team together for the friendlies now is the time that the manager should be sussing out who he wants and getting them together to learn a thing or two about them before he names his squad.

If it is going to be Harry, then perhaps they all know and he's doing a bit behind the scenes. I think we'd have got a sniff of it if that's been happening as the press boys would all be gagging to break the news surely.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 10 Apr 2012 10:55

This has become a farce; are the FA taking tips on how to find a new manager from Jez Moxey and Steve Morgan?

I agree that this needs to be sorted out now; but to be honest we could probably pick 20 of the 23 man squad that will go out to Poland/Ukraine and I'm sure Harry - who appears to be the annoited one - knows who they are as well.

However, I'd still like Pearce to get the job for the Euro's; see how it goes, then appoint a new Manager (if it isn't going to be him) after the Championships have finished, and in time for Spurs or whoever to get a new man in for their forthcoming season. There is a lot to be said for continuity and Pearce has been working with the U21's for Years.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 10 Apr 2012 10:59

Ian Royal Pearce seems to be taking in a few games. I have no problem with him doing the job for the tournament.

Yeah may as well let him get on with it.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Apr 2012 11:01

Pearce? Did you watch any of the U21s last summer?

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 10 Apr 2012 11:12

If they were going to keep Pearce in charge for the Euros you'd have thought they would have announced it by now.

Which means that they already have a replacement lined up.

I can't see beyond Harry Redknapp being appointed as soon as the season is over. I'm happy with that.

We never win any of the tournaments we do prepare for, so I'm not particularly bothered about the lack of proper preparation for this one.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 10 Apr 2012 11:13

Hoop Blah Pearce? Did you watch any of the U21s last summer?

This tournment is a write-off anyway. The whole managerial situation has been so badly handled, whomever they parachute in at this short notice has a slippery task on his hands. In fact, I liken it to this man holding an eel:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Apr 2012 11:18

If it's already a write-off then make sure that the new man is in place before it.

We saw with Capello how even an experience club manager can fail in so many ways at an International Tournament. We should be looking to make sure the new man is in place so that he can learn what's required through his own experiences as that will be invaluable for him moving forwards.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 10 Apr 2012 11:30

That eel is getting more slippery every day. You sure you'd not just settle for Pearce in the meantime? Would seem a shame to ditch him for the sake of it. I see your point about somebody taking up the job now and really getting on with it post-Euro 2012, but unless somebody of Harry's calibre was willing to have a stab at it I reckon removing Pearce could do more harm than good.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Apr 2012 11:40

I can't see a situation where the right man isn't available for the Euro's, so I don't see where letting Pearce take us ever really comes into the equation unless the FA completely cock things up.

The only way the 'right man' for the long term isn't available is if they're involved with another country or perhaps playing in the Champions League semi's or final. As I'm pretty sure the Champions League managers aren't in the frame, and I don't think any current international managers fit the FA's requriements, then it's going to come down to an existing Premier League or out of work manager.

Pearce in charge would see us waste a tournament in my opinion (unless of course he's suddenly turned into someone who makes the right decisions on team balance and who to play where etc). He himself says he isn't the right man for the job. What more evidence do we need to know he's not the man.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 10 Apr 2012 11:47

Hoop Blah Pearce in charge would see us waste a tournament in my opinion (unless of course he's suddenly turned into someone who makes the right decisions on team balance and who to play where etc). He himself says he isn't the right man for the job. What more evidence do we need to know he's not the man.

Why would any of this stop the FA appointing him?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Apr 2012 11:50

Presumably they don't want to waste a major tournament and see the team that represents the country under perform more than they might do otherwise.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 10 Apr 2012 12:46

Hoop Blah Pearce? Did you watch any of the U21s last summer?

Have to agree with you and disagree with Ian and Mr A.
It's not just the failure at City and Forest but the long-ball rubbish that the U21s played.
The FA made a mistake in upgrading Peter Taylor to the top job just because (with a good set of players)the results with the U21s were quite good.
I am in agreement with Mr A though that the squad more or less picks itself so the fact that the new manager will only have 3-4 weeks in the job doesn't matter too much-look at the immediate impact for O'Neill at Sunderland as an example.
As somebody wrote in the press at the time O'Neill would have an immediate impact but it would not be sustained which looks as though the way that it is going at Sunderland so we wouldn't want a new England manager who has an immediate impact but not much more.

I have never felt that the players an England manager has to work with are good enough to win anything (other than the very organised side playing with home advantage in 1966 when the best players were physically kicked out of the tournament-watch the film Goal if you don't believe me)as the foreign players that they play with at club level make them appear to be better than they are.
So 'Arry or whoever has a massive job to try to satisfy the dreams of England fans and the best that we can hope for in the next two tournaments is quarter or at best semi finals but at the very least you would hope that we play the ball on the ground and keep more possession than we normally do and start to play a game that has rather left us behind.

428 posts