Tom Rogic

397 posts
ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Re: Speculation - Tom Rogic

by ZacNaloen » 02 Jan 2013 10:55

He's only 20, which means he has another 4 years of development, he should get better and increase in quality, that's we mean by investing the future. He's good now, but should get better.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 02 Jan 2013 11:00

He's played for the Aussie national side so stick him straight in the team.

Esteban

by Esteban » 02 Jan 2013 11:15

£400k is chicken feed in terms of our current status, so it represents a calculated gamble. Makes sense when you consider the league we are likely to be playing in next season and still gives us room to bring in a couple of experienced players at PL level, on loan or otherwise, to try and save us.

Hope this one goes through.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 02 Jan 2013 11:19

Getting the squad together for Championship football it seems.

royalZILLAAA

by royalZILLAAA » 02 Jan 2013 11:23

No Fixed Abode Getting the squad together for Championship football it seems.

It does look that way a little bit... Kind of an 'if the currently likely event of relegation occurs, this guy will be handy to have around', but I'm going to pin all my hopes on him to keep us up miraculously in the second half of this season anyway.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 02 Jan 2013 11:24

I have no idea if you're always this negative, and I suppose I don't know if that statement was meant in a positive or negative way, however signing the captain of Sporting Lisbon is hardly 'preparing for the Championship'. Carrico's wages will not be Championship that's for sure...

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 02 Jan 2013 11:26

PistolPete

I have no idea if you're always this negative, and I suppose I don't know if that statement was meant in a positive or negative way, however signing the captain of Sporting Lisbon is hardly 'preparing for the Championship'. Carrico's wages will not be Championship that's for sure...

He's a Chelsea fan on a fishing trip.

That said, it's only entirely sensible and realistic to ensure we have a competitive squad available for next year for either league.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 02 Jan 2013 12:22

PistolPete

My point is, his lack of games and the time it will take to get match fit, especially for the EPL, will take a few weeks. And that's a few weeks Reading don't have. IF Reading want to stay in the Premiership, they need someone who can come in and have an immediate impact.

If Reading bring in another couple of 'premiership' signings on loan (as no decent Prem player would want to commit to a club in relegation trouble on a perm basis), who are 'good to go', then I'll change my opinion that they do have ambitions to stay in the EPL.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 02 Jan 2013 12:51

Do you reckon Chelsea might accept a couple of million for Frank Lampard?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Jan 2013 12:59

RobRoyal Do you reckon Chelsea might accept a couple of million for Frank Lampard?

Just tell him that there's a couple of fast food places near the Stadium and he'll come running (or more accurately waddling) to us.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 02 Jan 2013 13:02

No Fixed Abode
PistolPete

My point is, his lack of games and the time it will take to get match fit, especially for the EPL, will take a few weeks. And that's a few weeks Reading don't have. IF Reading want to stay in the Premiership, they need someone who can come in and have an immediate impact.

If Reading bring in another couple of 'premiership' signings on loan (as no decent Prem player would want to commit to a club in relegation trouble on a perm basis), who are 'good to go', then I'll change my opinion that they do have ambitions to stay in the EPL.

Fair comment. He's one for the future rather than an instant fix but that doesn't make him a bad signing.

gezza

by gezza » 02 Jan 2013 13:35

madreadingfan A lot of people are saying he is just for the future. But I don't understand why we would fork out £600k for a player when we need help with our team now. I reckon this kid is in MCD's team plans and 20 years old isn't too young. Players like Sig, Karacan and Pearce made it to the first team around that age. I reckon he is for now and theat MCD may start him on the bench and bring him on for a couple of games and if he impresses then play him in the Sig role. I'm excited!

From what I have read and heard today I think you are on the money. I get the impression that he may get some game time this season off the bench. Will be interesting to see how he goes. As mentioned previously he will only get better. He has only been playing professional football for little over a year and his improvement has been astonishing.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 02 Jan 2013 13:48

MouldyRoyal
PistolPete

He's a Chelsea fan on a fishing trip.

That said, it's only entirely sensible and realistic to ensure we have a competitive squad available for next year for either league.

HE IS NOT EVEN A CHELSEA FAN. HE IS RFC SEASON TICKET HOLDER!

He will try and deny it, but that's the truth, isn't it Kev

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Jan 2013 13:54

Big Ern HE IS NOT EVEN A CHELSEA FAN. HE IS RFC SEASON TICKET HOLDER!

I thought all Reading season ticket holders were secretly Chelsea fans?

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 02 Jan 2013 15:22

Fatboi
you can see here he is pretty big and tall. posing here in a promo photo with some random gook, a darkie and a shitalian :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

An outstanding opening 3 posts. What a debut!!

Welcome.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 02 Jan 2013 15:36

im excited about this one, he will be like siggy but well actually get to keep him! and for only 600k this makes it a good punt even if he doesnt turn out to be good enough!

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 02 Jan 2013 18:13

Happy about this :D

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jan 2013 18:21

madreadingfan A lot of people are saying he is just for the future. But I don't understand why we would fork out £600k for a player when we need help with our team now. I reckon this kid is in MCD's team plans and 20 years old isn't too young. Players like Sig, Karacan and Pearce made it to the first team around that age. I reckon he is for now and theat MCD may start him on the bench and bring him on for a couple of games and if he impresses then play him in the Sig role. I'm excited!

Well, basically because at best we have about a 10% chance of staying up and the only way to significantly improve that is to really spend big, assuming we can attract the players we'd need to, which given our position is doubtful.

So it's better to bring in players, get them some PL experience and settled into the UK. Then give them a season to set themselves up in the Championship and gain experience and then, if they force themselves into the side, we have close to PL ready players for a couple of season's time for £600k, rather than PL ready players who still probably won't keep us up for £6m.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 02 Jan 2013 18:23

Yep, good old Reading FC signing this. The airfare cost more than the player, will be pleased if he turns into another Cahill.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 02 Jan 2013 18:23

Ian Royal

Well, basically because at best we have about a 10% chance of staying up and the only way to significantly improve that is to really spend big, assuming we can attract the players we'd need to, which given our position is doubtful.

So it's better to bring in players, get them some PL experience and settled into the UK. Then give them a season to set themselves up in the Championship and gain experience and then, if they force themselves into the side, we have close to PL ready players for a couple of season's time for £600k, rather than PL ready players who still probably won't keep us up for £6m.

+1

397 posts