Gay Players ready to be themselves?

No Fixed Abode

Re: Gay Players ready to be themselves?

by No Fixed Abode » 10 Mar 2014 18:19

Ouroboros
No Fixed Abode I will not be surprised that's British male footballer will come out soon (probably) in the latter part of his career to get a job in the media and perhaps a job with the FA to help with homophobia in the game.

Brilliant.

I'll give you a helping hand, because you need it: I won't be surprised either.

Now what shall we do?

Accept it, as that's the way the World is going. Give chances to those in the minority in case of causing offence, even though they're probably not the best candidate.

Royalist

by Royalist » 11 Mar 2014 00:03

The examples you've shown so far are hardly 'token' choices. Not a huge fan of womens football but have heard of Casey Stoney and couldn't name a single other diver in the world other than Tom Daley. So who are these people in the media given the token jobs? Only ones i see in sport are the SSN girls clearly only picked for their looks!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Mar 2014 10:06

Royalist The examples you've shown so far are hardly 'token' choices. Not a huge fan of womens football but have heard of Casey Stoney and couldn't name a single other diver in the world other than Tom Daley. So who are these people in the media given the token jobs? Only ones i see in sport are the SSN girls clearly only picked for their looks!

Andy Gray and Richard Keys. Only given jobs on Talksport because they are objectionable pcunts.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 11 Mar 2014 12:01

Royalist The examples you've shown so far are hardly 'token' choices. Not a huge fan of womens football but have heard of Casey Stoney and couldn't name a single other diver in the world other than Tom Daley. So who are these people in the media given the token jobs? Only ones i see in sport are the SSN girls clearly only picked for their looks!

Bit of a contradiction by you there. My opinion is that some of these gay/ethnic minority people are given jobs purely on the fact these corporations want to look diverse, even though they perhaps not the best for the job - which you shot me down. Now you're saying the SSN girls are picked on looks alone. I suppose the latter is ok because it's not racist or homophobic........

Royalist

by Royalist » 11 Mar 2014 12:25

SOME are given jobs for who/what they are. Be that good looking ladies or great journalists. Not seen any evidence for your theory thats all.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 11 Mar 2014 12:42

In Sol Campbell's book (the one he was promoting when interviewed by BBC Radio last week and where he said he was the best centre half in the World between 2000 and 2004, and that he would have been England captain for 10 years if he hadn't been black) he writes that he was approached by a boot manufacturer and asked if he was gay; he said no, to which they said that they wished he was because they were ready with a massive worldwide promotional campaign on the back of a major footballer coming out.

So, yeah, I think there will be some positive PR and hard cash opportunities for the first major (ie: current international) player coming out.

Re: ex-women players commentating or giving analysis on men's professional football; this isn't a gender thing, and obviously they know more than the average punter on the street, but as they have never played or coached in men's professional football I'm really not convinced that they are best qualified people to give their opinions on it, any more than a guy who played a few times for the Dog & Duck on a Sunday morning would be.

Like them or loathe them, ex players like Jamie Redknapp, Gary Neville or Jamie Carragher can give the viewer a degree of insight and understanding that most people can't possibly have; someone who has played in the team chasing a Champions League trophy, or been in the highly charged environment of a changing room at half time when 2 down or been at an away leg in Turkey in front of 50,000 mental fans can give a much more credible opinion than someone who hasn't done any of those things.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 11 Mar 2014 13:41

Mr Angry In Sol Campbell's book (the one he was promoting when interviewed by BBC Radio last week and where he said he was the best centre half in the World between 2000 and 2004, and that he would have been England captain for 10 years if he hadn't been black) he writes that he was approached by a boot manufacturer and asked if he was gay; he said no, to which they said that they wished he was because they were ready with a massive worldwide promotional campaign on the back of a major footballer coming out.

So, yeah, I think there will be some positive PR and hard cash opportunities for the first major (ie: current international) player coming out.

Re: ex-women players commentating or giving analysis on men's professional football; this isn't a gender thing, and obviously they know more than the average punter on the street, but as they have never played or coached in men's professional football I'm really not convinced that they are best qualified people to give their opinions on it, any more than a guy who played a few times for the Dog & Duck on a Sunday morning would be.

Like them or loathe them, ex players like Jamie Redknapp, Gary Neville or Jamie Carragher can give the viewer a degree of insight and understanding that most people can't possibly have; someone who has played in the team chasing a Champions League trophy, or been in the highly charged environment of a changing room at half time when 2 down or been at an away leg in Turkey in front of 50,000 mental fans can give a much more credible opinion than someone who hasn't done any of those things.

Agreed Mr A.

The worst thing about pundits on TV these days is, there are far too many ex-Liverpool players. You can even make a football team out of the current crop.

Carragher
Redknapp
Hamman
Fowler
Danny Murphy
Lawrenson
Hansen
Phil Thompson
McMananaman
David James
Souness

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 11 Mar 2014 15:49

I think the more important issue is that all bar one of those listed are white. I think you've just proved that racism is alive and well in the British media.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 11 Mar 2014 15:56

No Fixed Abode
Mr Angry In Sol Campbell's book (the one he was promoting when interviewed by BBC Radio last week and where he said he was the best centre half in the World between 2000 and 2004, and that he would have been England captain for 10 years if he hadn't been black) he writes that he was approached by a boot manufacturer and asked if he was gay; he said no, to which they said that they wished he was because they were ready with a massive worldwide promotional campaign on the back of a major footballer coming out.

Agreed Mr A.

The worst thing about pundits on TV these days is, there are far too many ex-Liverpool players. You can even make a football team out of the current crop.

Carragher
Redknapp
Hamman
Fowler
Danny Murphy
Lawrenson
Hansen
Phil Thompson
McMananaman
David James
Souness

Owen..

I think this is Hanson's last season tbf. And Liverpool are still the most successful club in England.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 11 Mar 2014 16:38

sandman I think the more important issue is that all bar one of those listed are white. I think you've just proved that racism is alive and well in the British media.

You're pretty wide of the mark tbf tbh.

Black pundits I can think of

Clarke Carlisle
Jason Roberts
David James
Garth Crookes
Matt Murray
John Salako
Ruud Gullit
Chris Kamara
Ian Wright
John Barnes
Paul Ince
Robbie Earle
Stan Collymore
Les Ferdinand

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 11 Mar 2014 16:51

No Fixed Abode
sandman I think the more important issue is that all bar one of those listed are white. I think you've just proved that racism is alive and well in the British media.

Clarke Carlisle
Jason Roberts
David James
Garth Crookes
Matt Murray
John Salako
Ruud Gullit
Chris Kamara
Ian Wright
John Barnes
Paul Ince
Robbie Earle
Stan Collymore
Les Ferdinand

Think some of those might be mixed race m8

Collymore has actually been quite outspoken about being mixed race and not black

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 11 Mar 2014 17:01

How many of them are treated seriously? The answer is none of them. Ian Wright is put on these panels as a joke, sent on TV to shuck and jive for a white audience to laugh at. Same with Kamara, "oh here comes Kamara with his catchphrases, ha ha ha".

Notice how most of those from 'minorities' who are allowed in the studio to give an opinion are mixed race? Most of them on sky are sent out to do match reports to the five smug white blokes sat in the warm studio rather then being allowed to offer a proper opinion.

Like I said, racism is alive and well in the English media.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 11 Mar 2014 17:06

sandman How many of them are treated seriously? The answer is none of them. Ian Wright is put on these panels as a joke, sent on TV to shuck and jive for a white audience to laugh at. Same with Kamara, "oh here comes Kamara with his catchphrases, ha ha ha".

Notice how most of those from 'minorities' who are allowed in the studio to give an opinion are mixed race? Most of them on sky are sent out to do match reports to the five smug white blokes sat in the warm studio rather then being allowed to offer a proper opinion.

In your extreme left wing opinion.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 11 Mar 2014 17:18

Not true. There was a survey on it done by the Guardian.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Mar 2014 17:38

sandman How many of them are treated seriously? The answer is none of them. Ian Wright is put on these panels as a joke, sent on TV to shuck and jive for a white audience to laugh at. Same with Kamara, "oh here comes Kamara with his catchphrases, ha ha ha".

That's a load of tripe. Yes Sky do have their senior line up of pundits for the Saturday programs but plenty of minority presenters/pundits/commentators get more than just the Matt Murry/Stuart Lovell/Kevin Watson pitch side gigs.

As it happens, Stan Collymore has really won me over as a pundit. It's a shame he's stuck on Talksport as it all gets too shouty, but his views and willingness to be controversial are worth listening to on many occaissions.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 11 Mar 2014 17:43

Hoop Blah

That's a load of tripe. Yes Sky do have their senior line up of pundits for the Saturday programs but plenty of minority presenters/pundits/commentators get more than just the Matt Murry/Stuart Lovell/Kevin Watson pitch side gigs.

As it happens, Stan Collymore has really won me over as a pundit. It's a shame he's stuck on Talksport as it all gets too shouty, but his views and willingness to be controversial are worth listening to on many occaissions.

Talk about being in denial! As for your Collymore comment it smacks of the typical 'some of my best friends are black' mentality that the usual suspects come out with on a regular basis.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 11 Mar 2014 18:28

No Fixed Abode

In your extreme left wing opinion.

Says the Nazi.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 11 Mar 2014 18:31

sandman
Hoop Blah

Talk about being in denial! As for your Collymore comment it smacks of the typical 'some of my best friends are black' mentality that the usual suspects come out with on a regular basis.

I don't see a problem at all. A smaller % of players in this Country are ethnic, so it stands to reason there are fewer ethnic pundits than white.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 11 Mar 2014 18:32

No Fixed Abode

Clarke Carlisle
Jason Roberts
David James
Garth Crookes
Matt Murray
John Salako
Ruud Gullit
Chris Kamara
Ian Wright
John Barnes
Paul Ince
Robbie Earle
Stan Collymore
Les Ferdinand

Add - Quentin Fortune (Spanish football on Sky)

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 11 Mar 2014 19:08

No Fixed Abode A smaller % of players in this Country are ethnic, so it stands to reason there are fewer ethnic pundits than white.

Around 2% of the british population are mixed race. I can't imagine how angry it must make you to see more than this % make up the england squad