The Football Manager Disaster Thread sponsored by Big Fat Sam's pint of wine.

141 posts
brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

The Football Manager Disaster Thread sponsored by Big Fat Sam's pint of wine.

by brighton_royal » 26 Sep 2016 22:46

Not sure he's done anything illegal but certainly doesn't look good.

Flies off to meet some journalists posing as businessmen and can't keep his mouth in check.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09 ... -for-sale/
Last edited by brighton_royal on 28 Sep 2016 19:58, edited 2 times in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Big Fat Sam in Big Fat Trouble?

by genome » 27 Sep 2016 07:35

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Sep 2016 08:15

On the Yahoo site...

England football manager Sam Allardyce is facing an FA investigation after he was filmed appearing to tell businessmen how to get around rules on player transfer payments.

Shortly after taking over the national side, Allardyce met a group of people who he believed were representatives of a Far East firm.

However, the "businessmen" were actually undercover reporters taking part in a Daily Telegraph investigation.

Footage appears to show him telling the reporters it was possible to get around Football Association rules - enforced since 2008 - that stop third parties "owning" football players' economic rights.

The practice was also banned by world governing body FIFA in May 2015.

When asked about the rules, Allardyce was filmed on a hidden camera saying: "It's not a problem."

He told the reporters that an unnamed group had been "doing it for years" and "you can still get around it".

He added he knew agents who got around FA rules which did not allow third parties from "owning" players, saying: "You can still get around it. I mean obviously the big money's here", the Telegraph reported.

The manager, who has only led England in one international fixture since he was appointed in June 2016, also had dinner with representatives of the fictitious firm in a Manchester restaurant, where he discussed when he could fly to Singapore.

The newspaper claims a deal was struck with the England manager worth £400,000.

During the meetings, Alladyce also made indiscreet comments about the England team and his predecessor Roy Hodgson.

Allardyce said Hodgson was "too indecisive" during England's defeat to Iceland in the summer, dubbed him "Woy" and said he "hasn't got the personality" for public speaking. He also described Hodgson's assistant, Gary Neville, as "the wrong influence" who should have been told to "sit down and shut up."

He also said England's players had a "psychological barrier" and "can't cope" and even described the decision of his employers, the Football Association (FA), to redevelop Wembley Stadium as "stupid."

The Daily Telegraph has reported the FA has requested to see "the full facts in relation to this matter".

The FA pays Allardyce £3m year plus bonuses and will be asking questions about his judgement just weeks after his first and so far only match in charge of the national side.

Neither Allardyce, his agent Mark Curtis, nor his financial adviser, Shane Moloney, have commented on the Telegraph's sting.

Could he be on his way out after only 1 game....

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 27 Sep 2016 08:24

100 % record, would recommend.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Sep 2016 09:05

There's a huge amount of that that is simply not even controversial. And by all accounts Allardyce repeatedly told them that any business deals would need to be cleared with the FA. It does look ill advised but it also smacks of the paper not having a huge amount to put not a story so just chucking every comment in and hoping something sticks.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Sep 2016 09:27

Nameless There's a huge amount of that that is simply not even controversial. And by all accounts Allardyce repeatedly told them that any business deals would need to be cleared with the FA. It does look ill advised but it also smacks of the paper not having a huge amount to put not a story so just chucking every comment in and hoping something sticks.

Agreed that most of it seems like a storm in a tea-cup but you just have to wonder what went through their minds in agreeing to it anyway. Really disappointed in Sam and his advisers for tripping up like this.

It's more embarrassing than anything underhand but it also smacks of the media again trying to undermine the national team.

It sounds like they've got a lot more substantial dirt on the wider football community but they've led with Big Sam for the big headlines. Could be a lot of fall out but, from what I've read, I don't think it'll see Allardyce losing his job.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 27 Sep 2016 09:50

Bloke who always appeared to be a bit of a twat turns out to be a bit of a twat. Hardly a shock is it.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Sep 2016 11:15

Has to go surely.........They sacked Hoddle for less. I wonder if they will though? The FA are gonna look so stupid.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 27 Sep 2016 11:22

Ascotexgunner Has to go surely.........They sacked Hoddle for less. I wonder if they will though? The FA are gonna look so stupid.

They didn't need BFS for that

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 27 Sep 2016 11:47

:lol: he ordered a pint of wine with his meal

Legend :lol:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 27 Sep 2016 12:34

Ascotexgunner Has to go surely.........They sacked Hoddle for less. I wonder if they will though? The FA are gonna look so stupid.

Not sure if that's a joke so feel free to whoosh me.

But Hoddle made a comment about "disabled people are being punished for mistakes made in a previous life" didn't he?

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 27 Sep 2016 12:57

Some journalists saying the FA are announcing later today that he has been sacked

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 27 Sep 2016 13:16

Winston Smith Some journalists saying the FA are announcing later today that he has been sacked

This would be a genuine surprise to me considering what a murky pool they routinely swim in.

Anyone free now that wasn't when BFS was appointed?

Still maintain the next manager to lead England to a major trophy will be Pardew.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 27 Sep 2016 13:17

brighton_royal
Winston Smith Some journalists saying the FA are announcing later today that he has been sacked

This would be a genuine surprise to me considering what a murky pool they routinely swim in.

Still maintain the next manager to lead England to a major trophy will be Pardew.

Pardz is the bookies favourite

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Sep 2016 13:23

brighton_royal

With the FA constantly bitching about corruption in FIFA - would look pretty hypocritical to have its national manager seemingly seeking to fill his boots via dodgy deals.

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 27 Sep 2016 13:27

leon
brighton_royal

With the FA constantly bitching about corruption in FIFA - would look pretty hypocritical to have its national manager seemingly seeking to fill his boots via dodgy deals.

Well, even if he's done nothing illegal he certainly seems to be bringing the game and the FA into disrepute.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The England Manager Disaster Thread sponsored by Big Fat Sam's pint of wine.

by Winston Smith » 27 Sep 2016 13:29

Chico Flores just put this up on his social media

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

Re: The England Manager Disaster Thread sponsored by Big Fat Sam's pint of wine.

by Handsome Man » 27 Sep 2016 13:32

I think he is an awful manager, but feel for him here. I don't think I even want him to lose his job any more.

Being set up by journalists is not a crime. Consorting with real criminals would be but not this. Maybe even discussing things with real criminals would be OK if he really did say the bit about checking with his employers.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 27 Sep 2016 13:39

From the video clips that were shown on Sky Sports News, all Sam has said is that you can get around the rules and he mentioned a couple of companies and agents who have gone around the rules. Accountants are always looking for ways to most efficiently keep their clients more of their money within the regulatory system that they are operating in.

Sam has done nothing wrong. If he is the manager of Sunderland, his job is to get the best players he can get his hands on in order to make his team the best they can be. The rules are obstacles that are in his way and he has to find a way to get the best players in that he can. Having a discussion about what the rules are and how you can get the best players in despite the rules is normal business.

Doing business deals and earning commissions is normal business activity. Sam has done absolutely nothing wrong.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 27 Sep 2016 13:43

brighton_royal
leon
brighton_royal

Well, even if he's done nothing illegal he certainly seems to be bringing the game and the FA into disrepute.

It would depend on what's in the contract, no?

141 posts