Hob Nob Regular

Re: VAR

by The Enfield Royal71 » 24 Jun 2019 15:00

Sanguine
The Enfield Royal71
Sanguine
Why don't you explain to us then?

It will just go over your heads.

The gist of it is that football is trying to interpret too many variables into a limited technology that isn't designed for such fine variables. Not like goal line technology where it is pretty simple but great.

A lot of people said that. I'm interested in some expert opinion.

The technology isnt designed for what they are using it for. Thats it in a nutshell.

Its not designed for variables of millimetres and interpretation.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 24 Jun 2019 15:01

genome He's posting like a helmet across the boards today for some reason, ignore him

Ummmmmm Its part of my job m9.

I haven't seen you for weeks and then you suddenly crop up again.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 24 Jun 2019 15:06

genome He's posting like a helmet across the boards today for some reason, ignore him

The reason being that he is a helmet

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 24 Jun 2019 15:06

The Enfield Royal71
Sanguine
The Enfield Royal71

The gist of it is that football is trying to interpret too many variables into a limited technology that isn't designed for such fine variables. Not like goal line technology where it is pretty simple but great.

A lot of people said that. I'm interested in some expert opinion.

The technology isnt designed for what they are using it for. Thats it in a nutshell.

Its not designed for variables of millimetres and interpretation.

Any of the detail you actually hinted of, or shall I just file this one under 'DD doing his thing' ?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 24 Jun 2019 15:08

The Enfield Royal71
Its not designed for variables of millimetres.

Weird then that you cite your extensive knowledge of rugby and its successful use in that game, as many of its applications do come down to millimetres - is the ball or a player's foot in out of play, was the ball grounded, was the player in control of the ball when it was grounded, and so on.

Hey, am I now a rugby expert?

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 24 Jun 2019 15:59

Silver Fox

The reason being that he is a helmet

I take great umbrage to both of you for that comment. Please apologise.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jun 2019 18:10

Sanguine
Hoop Blah
Football's laws are, at least in my opinion, a lot more subjective than those other sports too.

This remains a red herring, in my view. If football is a subjective game then VAR or not it remains subject to the opinion of the referee in many decisions that the officials make. VAR doesn't change that, it just allows the officials the opportunity to review replays and multiple angles to come to a better subjective decision. That you might argue the decision reached is still up for debate isn't a failure of the system.

We saw the best and worst of VAR in England's game with Cameroon yesterday - to my mind the referee arrived at the correct decision in all but the final incident (this is the good), the tackle on Steph Houghton, but I suspect there was a big dose of diplomacy in that yellow card, and I'm more perplexed at the incidents that weren't referred by VAR, including the fourth minute elbow (the bad). It also took far too long again - as in most games I watch where VAR is being used, the replays have already been shown multiples times on TV often before the referee sees it again, or even signals the check. Not playing all incidents on the screen in the stadium only antagonised the Cameroon players, too.

My personal view was that the elbow was an misjudged arm across the chest that rode up and hit the face rather than actual violent conduct, so I was just about ok with the yellow.

I think it was clear the officials had seen it, so I'm presuming VAR decided that was a fair interpretation.

On the Kirby pen shout, it wasn't VAR that took ages, it was the ref thinking and watching the replays. She could have cut that time dramatically herself. Personally I thought it was a foul, but a fair advantage played given we then got a shot at goal.

I don't think the Cameroon players got upset because the decisions weren't on screen. They got upset because they WERE on screen and felt Duggan should have been called off and that the butt of a heel when walking away from goal in the build up shouldn't be called off. I think they were also (justifiably) upset that a loose control and claim by the keeper was called a free kick that they conceded the first goal to.

The final yellow, I've mixed views on. You can give the benefit and say it's just poorly timed, or you can say it's cynical and nasty. It wasn't a clear leg breaker though, more a nasty rake.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 24 Jun 2019 18:38

The Enfield Royal71
Sanguine
The Enfield Royal71 I am somewhat of an expert when it comes to var (in rugby) as It is something I have a huge technical understanding of

In football It wont work and I fed this back to the fa when they were tendering as they were trying to interpret too many complex moving parts. I hate to say it but I sent an email to them saying "I told you so".

it really won't...have a crack!

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 24 Jun 2019 19:55

BR0B0T
The Enfield Royal71
Sanguine

You of all people wouldn't understand sorry. Plus a lot of what I know is proprietary information that I'm not allowed to talk about.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 24 Jun 2019 19:56

Sanguine
The Enfield Royal71
Its not designed for variables of millimetres.

Weird then that you cite your extensive knowledge of rugby and its successful use in that game, as many of its applications do come down to millimetres - is the ball or a player's foot in out of play, was the ball grounded, was the player in control of the ball when it was grounded, and so on.

Hey, am I now a rugby expert?

Your ignoramus personality is offending me.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jun 2019 20:06

The Enfield Royal71
BR0B0T
The Enfield Royal71

You of all people wouldn't understand sorry. Plus a lot of what I know is proprietary information that I'm not allowed to talk about.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Jun 2019 20:14

The Enfield Royal71
BR0B0T
The Enfield Royal71

But you are talking about it, on an internet mongboard of all places. So you're either talking shite or contravening some form of non disclosure agreement.

I plump for talking shite because it's just 5 blokes remotely looking at video replays. Nothing the NFL hasn't already been doing with, at times, equally contentious results for a number of years.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 24 Jun 2019 20:27

The Enfield Royal71
BR0B0T
The Enfield Royal71

genuine :lol: :lol: :lol: out loud

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 24 Jun 2019 21:38

From Despair To Where?
The Enfield Royal71
BR0B0T

But you are talking about it, on an internet mongboard of all places. So you're either talking shite or contravening some form of non disclosure agreement.

I plump for talking shite because it's just 5 blokes remotely looking at video replays. Nothing the NFL hasn't already been doing with, at times, equally contentious results for a number of years.

You are most wrong. Also I have not disclosed anything and talking about something like that is not breaching anything.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jun 2019 22:30

Can one of you explain why you're engaging in one of DD's breakdown moments of utterly obvious fantasist behaviour?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Jun 2019 22:32

The Enfield Royal71
From Despair To Where?
The Enfield Royal71

You are most wrong. Also I have not disclosed anything and talking about something like that is not breaching anything.

Whatever.

Don't miss that plane and say hello to your little friend when you land.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 24 Jun 2019 23:02

From Despair To Where?
The Enfield Royal71
From Despair To Where?

Whatever.

Don't miss that plane and say hello to your little friend when you land.

I have absolutely no idea who that small person is and what you are talking about. I ain't getting on no plane until next year.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Jun 2019 09:39

The Enfield Royal71 You of all people wouldn't understand sorry. Plus a lot of what I know is proprietary information that I'm not allowed to talk about.

My Kes-o-meter just exploded.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 25 Jun 2019 09:52

The Enfield Royal71 a lot of what I know is proprietary information that I'm not allowed to talk about.

:lol:

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 25 Jun 2019 09:59

I wish everything he ever posted was proprietary

1731 posts