VAR

1732 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: VAR

by Franchise FC » 11 Jan 2022 12:52

6ft Kerplunk
URZZZZ One thing which continues to frustrate is the delayed linesman’s flag. Not necessarily their fault as that’s what they’ve been told to do, but you’d think one day it’ll result in a really bad injury with Lindelof’s a warning sign yesterday. The Watkins goal wasn’t even close, it’s a really stupid rule

Wasn't van Dijk's knee injury after a delayed flag? Its utterly stupid when its clearly offside.

I don't think so.
It was as a result of an offside that a penalty wasn't given, but the challenge was an immediate incident rather than delayed
Well, that's how I remember it

And VVD wasn't 'clearly' offside by any means

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Jan 2022 23:12

Am I the only one who sees no debate with Leeds’ disallowed goal? It hits the player on the line who’s in an offside position. It may be unlucky but comments of “Klich’s strike was already going in and Rodrigo wasn’t even looking at the ball”is irrelevant. Completely

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 17 Jan 2022 06:31

URZZZZ Am I the only one who sees no debate with Leeds’ disallowed goal? It hits the player on the line who’s in an offside position. It may be unlucky but comments of “Klich’s strike was already going in and Rodrigo wasn’t even looking at the ball”is irrelevant. Completely

Still offside. Debate over.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Jan 2022 07:55

URZZZZ Am I the only one who sees no debate with Leeds’ disallowed goal? It hits the player on the line who’s in an offside position. It may be unlucky but comments of “Klich’s strike was already going in and Rodrigo wasn’t even looking at the ball”is irrelevant. Completely

Yeh that's as clear cut as it gets. Never any complaints pre-VAR when an offside player smashes an already goal bound effort in.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 17 Jan 2022 09:00

Don’t remember who the commentary team were, but I really wish they’d learn the laws of the game.
There’s no debate at all with this one, it’s a matter of fact.

I’m surprised they didn’t try to argue there was a defender on the line (there was but obviously the keeper was out beyond the Leeds player)

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 04 Feb 2022 21:28

ROFL!

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 04 Feb 2022 21:36

Good.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Feb 2022 08:57

Funny thing is, by the laws of the game, if Watmore's handball is considered accidental, which I'm pretty sure it was, its a perfectly legitimate goal. What's even funnier, if Watmore had scored instead of setting up Crooks, it would have been disallowed. And what's even more funny is that if the game had been played at The Riverside, there wouldn't have been any VAR to make a decision.

Personally, I think the goal should have been disallowed but the officials were going by the law.

There's no real issue with the VAR decision in my opinion but I think it highlights how difficult the job is for officials. Make the laws more flexible and allow more "common sense" decisions and everyone bleats about consistency. Make the laws rigid and you get decisions like this where the "common sense" decision is wrong and everyone bleats about shit refereeing when it's the law that's the problem, not the interpretation.

And again, it doesn't help that commentators and pundits don't know the laws. I don't know why they can't do what is done in the NFL whereby the ref is micced up and explains the decision so that there is transparency. "The goal stands because Law X says this....." There's already a long enough break to consult VAR, an extra 5 seconds is neither here nor there.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 05 Feb 2022 12:48

BROB0T ROFL!

Indeed, that penalty’s still going up isn’t it?

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 05 Feb 2022 13:19

From Despair To Where? Funny thing is, by the laws of the game, if Watmore's handball is considered accidental, which I'm pretty sure it was, its a perfectly legitimate goal. What's even funnier, if Watmore had scored instead of setting up Crooks, it would have been disallowed. And what's even more funny is that if the game had been played at The Riverside, there wouldn't have been any VAR to make a decision.

Personally, I think the goal should have been disallowed but the officials were going by the law.

There's no real issue with the VAR decision in my opinion but I think it highlights how difficult the job is for officials. Make the laws more flexible and allow more "common sense" decisions and everyone bleats about consistency. Make the laws rigid and you get decisions like this where the "common sense" decision is wrong and everyone bleats about shit refereeing when it's the law that's the problem, not the interpretation.

And again, it doesn't help that commentators and pundits don't know the laws. I don't know why they can't do what is done in the NFL whereby the ref is micced up and explains the decision so that there is transparency. "The goal stands because Law X says this....." There's already a long enough break to consult VAR, an extra 5 seconds is neither here nor there.

'greed

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Feb 2022 09:35

The Laws are not overly complicated - where people lose track is the season amendments like this handball - which was clear to anyone who had an interest or knowledge of football. Where were the cries of well done referee, var etc etc - er no, nothing.

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 08 Feb 2022 20:23

VAR is shite

You can't celebrate goals

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Feb 2022 21:11

BROB0T VAR is shite

Well, you can celebrate goals. Same as you did before technology, only to see an offside flag go up.

Didn't have you down as a sensitive one, Brobers. No-one points and laughs because you celebrated a disallowed goal.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 08 Feb 2022 21:14

BROB0T VAR is shite

...anyone catch the Roma v Genoa game from a few days back?
- Jose's boys grabbed what looked like a much needed winner v.late on - may even have been in added time.
Was against strugglers Genoa who were down to 10 men. The crowd and home side went nuts celebrating - Zaniolo the scorer booked for shirt removal.
Called back by VAR cos Tammy was deemed to have stood on a defenders foot, in 'winning' a tackle & passing the ball in, for the scorer to run across and drive in spectacularly from edge of the box.
Slow motion replays suggest this was the case but there were plenty of recriminations following the goal being chalked off incl the Roma scorer getting a Red for his forthright views.
Doubtless no sympathy for the ever-beloved Mourinho from on here, though he did appear to be trying to act as peacemaker amongst the after match tussles...but it could have been a lot uglier.
Maybe reaction was dulled somewhat as the Giallorossi are so far off the pace in 7th under his tenure, that the Roma crowd is probably getting used to disappointment.

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 08 Feb 2022 21:24

Sanguine
BROB0T VAR is shite

Well, you can celebrate goals. Same as you did before technology, only to see an offside flag go up.

Didn't have you down as a sensitive one, Brobers. No-one points and laughs because you celebrated a disallowed goal.

Yeah usually have a quick look at the lino before going mental but have been caught out a few times :oops:

I just expect goals to be chalked off for some reason or another. The idea is good put the implementation is a bit shite

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 09 Feb 2022 09:22

BROB0T Yeah usually have a quick look at the lino before going mental but have been caught out a few times :oops:

Even in pre-VAR days who hasn't gone mental for a few seconds only to see the goal disallowed? Plus being the opposition fans and getting to point and laugh when it happens has always been great.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Feb 2022 11:04

BROB0T VAR is shite

That’s immaterial as a United fan!

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 09 Feb 2022 11:08

URZZZZ
BROB0T VAR is shite

That’s immaterial as a United fan!

:lol:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Feb 2022 11:19

Sanguine
BROB0T VAR is shite

I'm with Brobot on this one. Seeing a lino's flag go up seconds after the ball has gone in is different to fully celebrating a goal and then realising it's being checked and then chalked off

It's not about being embarrassed for celebrating a disallowed goal, it's about having that niggling thought in the back of your brain that any goal might be chalked off, and it affects the emotional part of the game for me as a fan. It's a part of VAR that I've really struggled with. It's difficult to really present a logical argument to back the point up, really, but I know I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Feb 2022 11:24

genome
Sanguine
BROB0T VAR is shite

I'm with Brobot on this one. Seeing a lino's flag go up seconds after the ball has gone in is different to fully celebrating a goal and then realising it's being checked and then chalked off

It's not about being embarrassed for celebrating a disallowed goal, it's about having that niggling thought in the back of your brain that any goal might be chalked off, and it affects the emotional part of the game for me as a fan. It's a part of VAR that I've really struggled with. It's difficult to really present a logical argument to back the point up, really, but I know I'm not the only one that feels that way.

I'm probably just a bit simple, but can honestly say that apart from the odd goal that 'looks offside', I've not not celebrated a goal in the VAR era. Just doesn't occur to me at the moment the ball hits the net.

1732 posts