VAR

1731 posts
tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: VAR

by tmesis » 01 May 2021 23:57

URZZZZ
Sanguine Opens the question to me as to what pressure referees are getting behind the scenes to use VAR in a certain way. There is still nowhere near enough transparency on VAR decisions. What did Kavanagh see in the replays that made him issue a red card? What was said to Kavanagh on his ear-piece? What discussion, if any, did he have with Michael Oliver?

Mentioned a while ago, ala the rugby system, fans would perhaps be more understanding if they were kept in the loop - so we could hear what's going on between the on field referee and the VAR refs for example

You don't actually hear what's being said in the ground. You only hear it on TV. You see the replays on the screen, but nothing else.

The calls there are much less subjective though.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 May 2021 01:05

Pepe the Horseman Surely the Southampton red gets rescinded?

Only just seen it, another poor call

They’ll be saved some flak because at least Southampton got a point out of it but it’s becoming an almighty joke more and more by the week now

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 May 2021 17:07

Pity there is no VAR in L1 that Peterborough penalty was beyond embarrassing. Could that referee sleep last night after he saw it on telly?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 May 2021 00:35

Saw a stat somewhere that even with 3/4 games to go, today signified the most penalties awarded in a Premier League season

I know Sanguine posted some stats into it fairly early on into the season and the quantity did fall off to an extent, but what a shambles it’s been

I guess at least they did have the nous to admit that handball rule was ridiculous, that probably accounted for a lot of the early season handballs

I suppose the big question is will the use of VAR be altered for next season as it really just hasn’t worked out

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 May 2021 22:32

Areola on Vydra - a yellow card. Really?

Baffling decision

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 May 2021 08:26

URZZZZ Areola on Vydra - a yellow card. Really?

Baffling decision

Stockley Park said it was because the defender would have provided cover. Which is obviously rubbish, as replays clearly showed that the defender was falling over.

That being said, I was happy/impressed with the decision made for the Charlie Taylor tackle. From behind the Fulham player, and he made contact, but clearly got a foot on the ball first. A more trigger happy VAR might have flagged that as a foul through the back. Comes to something I guess though when you are praising assistants for getting something right.

Also, David Cootes seems a better referee than he is a video official.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 May 2021 00:36

Last day of the season but still plenty of VAR drama...Aside from the plethora of penalties awarded (perhaps a couple of debatable ones in which) but the two that stick out for me were:

1. Tottenham’s third against Leicester - what’s the justification for awarding that goal? You can see Kane clearly moves his hand towards the ball, in the same passage of play too. Whether or not Arsenal wanted the European conference, that goal was the difference between them coming 7th and 8th

2. City players encroaching for Sigurdsson’s penalty. Could be wrong here but aren’t attacking players punished irrespective of their involvement within the goal? Why aren’t the defensive players punished to the same extent? Could be me that’s got this wrong/simply the laws of the game but surprised it wasn’t retaken

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 May 2021 06:20

URZZZZ Last day of the season but still plenty of VAR drama...Aside from the plethora of penalties awarded (perhaps a couple of debatable ones in which) but the two that stick out for me were:

1. Tottenham’s third against Leicester - what’s the justification for awarding that goal? You can see Kane clearly moves his hand towards the ball, in the same passage of play too. Whether or not Arsenal wanted the European conference, that goal was the difference between them coming 7th and 8th

2. City players encroaching for Sigurdsson’s penalty. Could be wrong here but aren’t attacking players punished irrespective of their involvement within the goal? Why aren’t the defensive players punished to the same extent? Could be me that’s got this wrong/simply the laws of the game but surprised it wasn’t retaken

Totally agreed on 1
As for the encroachment, I recall something earlier in the season where it was stated that encroachment would be penalised if it affected the outcome (i.e if the encroaching player either scored or cleared a rebound). Can’t find anything specific (after a very cursory look I admit)

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 24 May 2021 08:28

URZZZZ Last day of the season but still plenty of VAR drama...Aside from the plethora of penalties awarded (perhaps a couple of debatable ones in which) but the two that stick out for me were:

The moment of handball was not in a passage of play that directly lead to a goal so doesn't count as a handball apparently. I am happy with that one not being handball tbh, but then others similar would be classed as handball after a minutes telly checking

I hate VAR more than I can put into words. Its destroying the sport I feel somewhat indifferent about!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 May 2021 09:29

Winston Biscuit

The moment of handball was not in a passage of play that directly lead to a goal so doesn't count as a handball apparently. I am happy with that one not being handball tbh, but then others similar would be classed as handball after a minutes telly checking

I hate VAR more than I can put into words. Its destroying the sport I feel somewhat indifferent about!

I would agree if Kane's hand hadn't moved towards the ball to control it. That's not just 'hit his hand', that's deliberate handball

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 May 2021 13:07

Franchise FC

Totally agreed on 1
As for the encroachment, I recall something earlier in the season where it was stated that encroachment would be penalised if it affected the outcome (i.e if the encroaching player either scored or cleared a rebound). Can’t find anything specific (after a very cursory look I admit)

Sounds plausible

There's always the argument that encroachment may "put off" a player (whether it's the GK or the penalty taker) but it's a bit of a weak argument

Remember Defoe's goal against us back in 2007, still can't believe he got away with it!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 May 2021 13:10

Winston Biscuit

That's just :| then

Kane moved his hand towards the ball, before setting up Bale for the finish a couple of touches later. Using that logic, what on earth entails the "same passage of play". It's just pure nonsense

Jinx

by Jinx » 24 May 2021 19:49

Winston Biscuit

100% agreed Winston - football is horrible to watch now. The Brentford Bournemouth game after the red card was everything that is wrong with the modern game. Players time wasting, diving, harassing the ref, play acting, screaming uggghhh! :x

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 25 May 2021 09:57

Jinx
Winston Biscuit

100% agreed Winston - football is horrible to watch now. The Brentford Bournemouth game after the red card was everything that is wrong with the modern game. Players time wasting, diving, harassing the ref, play acting, screaming uggghhh! :x

Except the result 8)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 May 2021 12:13

It's not VAR or the game I hate. It's everyone involved.

The owners - pcunts.
The managers - pcunts
the DoFs - pcunts
the Refs - pcunts
The players - utteruberpcunts
The FA & FL - useless pcunts
the PL - utterspunkingmegapcunts
The fans - pcunts
Me - massive pcunt.
The pundits - thick pcunts

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 26 May 2021 14:32

Snowflake Royal It's not VAR or the game I hate. It's everyone involved.

The owners - pcunts.
The managers - pcunts
the DoFs - pcunts
the Refs - pcunts
The players - utteruberpcunts
The FA & FL - useless pcunts
the PL - utterspunkingmegapcunts
The fans - pcunts
Me - massive pcunt.
The pundits - thick pcunts

You’ve got at least one completely spot on :wink:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Aug 2021 18:55

Hasn’t really been mentioned but I thought the Dan James foul after AWB cleared it off the line was an absolute stick on. Was barely appealed at the time and barely been mentioned after. Strange as he went through the man

Not sure I agree with Neves that the goal was a foul, there was minimal contact and his fall wasn’t natural. We need to encourage better standards within the game and cut out the play acting

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Aug 2021 20:12

URZZZZ Hasn’t really been mentioned but I thought the Dan James foul after AWB cleared it off the line was an absolute stick on. Was barely appealed at the time and barely been mentioned after. Strange as he went through the man

Not sure I agree with Neves that the goal was a foul, there was minimal contact and his fall wasn’t natural. We need to encourage better standards within the game and cut out the play acting

Pogba went in over the ball with studs up. His fall is irrelevant.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Sep 2021 18:33

However catastrophic the outcome was, I’m not sure Strujik warranted a red card for that tackle, can you really base a refereeing decision on the outcome, some incidents are pure accidents

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 12 Sep 2021 19:07

1731 posts